Ronny Park Passes Away Due to COVID Complications

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronny Park passed away a few days ago. Last year, he was taking infusion treatments that seemed to be working. He tried very hard to limit himself on outings due to COVID, knowing he was susceptible, but in pool rooms and restaurants in his area, I guess, a lot of people did not wear masks or social distance. Those close to him said he passed away from complications due to COVID. With his medical condition, I'm sure he was vulnerable, more so than others.

Born in New York State, Ronnie emigrated to North Carolina which is where he lay his hat, though it remained a Yankee hat. Most know Ronny created a pool fundraiser at his home pool room for Tommy Kennedy in his time of need when Tommy was hospitalized. That is the kind of person Ronny was. I spoke to him recently about an exhibition match in his home pool room. I was shocked to learn he passed away.

He was a regular on the American tournament trail, actually a very strong player, and he will be missed. Ronny Park was one of the good guys in pool.

11896152_10205360110665782_5234512102152482005_n.jpg
Keith and Ronny Park at GCO 2004.jpg
164575381_4214850478539049_4179896519327507711_n.jpg

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear the news. I'm waiting until my wife and I both have the vaccine to return to the gym and eating breakfast at the local McDonalds. I know two people who died from the covid. It's nothing to take lightly at my age.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear the news. I'm waiting until my wife and I both have the vaccine to return to the gym and eating breakfast at the local McDonalds. I know two people who died from the covid. It's nothing to take lightly at my age.
Same boat as you are.
2 days into my second shot.
Waiting at least two weeks to somewhat normalize but still going to play it by ear.

Cases are rising again throughout the USA and we leveled off at a very high rate to boot.
Two weeks ago many states lifted their restrictions and it was party time again
and cases are now beginning to tic up and we are actually surprised by this.
Stupid is as stupid does.

sonny burnett

Registered
Wow. Another nice one gone. I user to practice during the day at Mothers in Charlotte. I enjoyed watching Ron entertain the rail birds chasing the ghost for hours. I think watching him was better than practice.

RIP

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BlueRaider

Registered
I hate to hear this.

I remember watching Ron and another guy play at Rack'Em Billiards in Charlotte about 4 years ago. At the time I was still very early in my pool journey. I had watched some good players come through the doors but he was on another level, at least that day. I remember seeing him pound some long shots with crazy amounts of spin like they were hangers. His game and skill level absolutely stood out from everyone else.

One of my buddies met him not long after and took a few lessons from him, I believe. I also saw Ron at the Earl Strickland vs Johnny Archer exhibition/charity match at Smokin' Cue in September. I regret not properly introducing myself to him, as I used to see him at both Rack'Em and Smokin' Cue fairly often (in fact, I saw him at Smokin' Cue as recently as early Feb.). He was a known "name" in the Charlotte pool world even among the younger players and would often be mentioned when people would ask who the best players in the city are/were.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same boat as you are.
2 days into my second shot.
Waiting at least two weeks to somewhat normalize but still going to play it by ear.

Cases are rising again throughout the USA and we leveled off at a very high rate to boot.
Two weeks ago many states lifted their restrictions and it was party time again
and cases are now beginning to tic up and we are actually surprised by this.
Stupid is as stupid does.
The restrictions and lifting thereof seem to be more politics related than science related. More Americans died from in in January 2021 than in April 2020 but many places that locked down in April 2020 were reopening in January 2021.

I've been lifting at home in my "gym" next to the pool table for a year now. I prefer the gym but I can't work out in a mask and don't want to be lectured at a gym. I'd rather stay home than feel uncomfortable going out.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What a shame. I knew Ron well, and we played pool together several times, mostly during 2000-05.

Condolences to his family and friends.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a shame that a post about his passing has turned political already. Not a surprise given the thread title, but still a shame. He was a good dude, and the pool world is lesser without him.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The restrictions and lifting thereof seem to be more politics related than science related. More Americans died from in in January 2021 than in April 2020 but many places that locked down in April 2020 were reopening in January 2021.

I've been lifting at home in my "gym" next to the pool table for a year now. I prefer the gym but I can't work out in a mask and don't want to be lectured at a gym. I'd rather stay home than feel uncomfortable going out.
That's exactly the set up I have.
Equipment next to the pool table.
Not the same a a gym.
Miss the gym sorely.
Pardon the pun but do miss the soreness.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly the set up I have.
Equipment next to the pool table.
Not the same a a gym.
Miss the gym sorely.
Pardon the pun but do miss the soreness.
I paid a dollar a pound for a set of 70lb and 35lb dumbbells. I anticipated the gym would be locked down and got them a week before that happened. A week later nobody in town had any dumbbells and the same ones on ebay were advertised at $3 a pound - 3x what I paid.

Downside is they are hexagon cast iron. Gym had round rubber which is better. The other downside is I can get 6 sets of 10 with the 70's but I'm 71 and I prefer to lift 65's because at my age injury becomes a concern. After lifting those for a year I'm actually stronger than I was when I was going to the gym simply because I'm forced to lift the 70's.

Shoulder workout is a different story. I don't have enough weight to replicate what I did in the gym and I don't get the soreness the day after my shoulder workout that I used to get. My first shoulder workout at the gym is going to kick my butt. The rest should be a breeze.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am really sorry to hear about Ron passing. I have not seen him in a few years. But you are right he was one of the good guys in pool.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Another nice one gone. I user to practice during the day at Mothers in Charlotte. I enjoyed watching Ron entertain the rail birds chasing the ghost for hours. I think watching him was better than practice.

RIP

I knew Ron. He could often be found in the afternoons practicing in the tournament room at Mother’s with Allison, Ewa and Gerda in the latter 1990s and early 2000s. Ron was regarded as one of the top players in Charlotte, and always a very nice guy. He never lost that strong New York accent.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine neither, but I don't think McD's will be opening their restaurants to inside dining anytime soon...at least that's true down here in FL.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year

sonny burnett

Registered
I knew Ron. He could often be found in the afternoons practicing in the tournament room at Mother’s with Allison, Ewa and Gerda in the latter 1990s and early 2000s. Ron was regarded as one of the top players in Charlotte, and always a very nice guy. He never lost that strong New York accent.
Wasn't he like 2nd in us amateur?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't he like 2nd in us amateur?

Not surprised, Ron was certainly considered one of the top amateur players in North Carolina. I consider a tournament match win I had over Ron in one of Mother’s big annual weekend tournaments 20+ years ago as one of my bigger tournament match wins over a known player I was not suppose to beat. He remembered the next time we met up in another tournament, and was not so generous to me.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid a dollar a pound for a set of 70lb and 35lb dumbbells. I anticipated the gym would be locked down and got them a week before that happened. A week later nobody in town had any dumbbells and the same ones on ebay were advertised at $3 a pound - 3x what I paid.

Downside is they are hexagon cast iron. Gym had round rubber which is better. The other downside is I can get 6 sets of 10 with the 70's but I'm 71 and I prefer to lift 65's because at my age injury becomes a concern. After lifting those for a year I'm actually stronger than I was when I was going to the gym simply because I'm forced to lift the 70's.

Shoulder workout is a different story. I don't have enough weight to replicate what I did in the gym and I don't get the soreness the day after my shoulder workout that I used to get. My first shoulder workout at the gym is going to kick my butt. The rest should be a breeze.
It's not the same.
The equipment at the gym is far more extensive of course.
Most homes do not have a good cable set up.
Hate the hexagonal dumbbells too.

btal

Registered
Sorry to hear this sad news. Condolences to his family and close friends. He was a good man - gone too soon. :(