Rules in 9 ball?

dave st.pierre

dave st.pierre
Say you are in the middle of a 9 ball game,the 9 ball is in the jaws of the pocket & there no way to hit the next ball in order,so you push 9 ball in with cue without useing cue ball to get it out of front of pocket. What is rulling?

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
Say you are in the middle of a 9 ball game,the 9 ball is in the jaws of the pocket & there no way to hit the next ball in order,so you push 9 ball in with cue without useing cue ball to get it out of front of pocket. What is rulling?

If you "shot" it in then spot it & BIH for opponent (was shot out of order)
but pushing it in with your cue or hand or whatever IMO is a concession

Seems like you may have had another option before you knocked it in - agree to "stalemate" and re-rack

Last edited:

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put the 9-ball back where it was and ball in hand for the opponent.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

Loss of game under BCAPL under rule 1.40 d.

Under WPA rules it is unsportsmanlike conduct under rule 6.16 (b). The TD typically has some discretion in determining the penalty but loss of game is probably the most lenient and obvious choice.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Most Tournament Directors will call an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in this situation. Unfortunately, what happens next depends on who the TD is and who the two opposing players are.

If I was the TD (or referee, or division rep, etc.) in this scenario, I'd say "loss of game" and put a stop to this kind of nonsense.

Maniac

janaka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a loss of game to me. Best case is the ball is spotted and you give ball in hand to your opponent.

JC

Coos Cues

Loss of game and dignity.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Depending on the mood of the TD, the penalty should be anywhere from a severe purple nurple to castration.

(or concession)

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
Under BCA rules

The only time you can touch an object ball is when you are racking or spotting.

The only thing you can do during each inning is hit the cue ball with a legal stroke.
(picking up the cue ball after a foul to hand it to your opponent is technically a foul)

Pushing an object ball with the cue stick is an intentional foul and a very serious offense.

JC

Coos Cues
Pushing an object ball with the cue stick is an intentional foul and a very serious offense.

Very serious? How serious? 30 days at county lock up and 200 hours community service? Loss of right hand? Life time ban from pool and bowling? Life in prison? Or is it worse even? Say it's not a capital offense for god's sake!! :frown:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very serious? How serious? 30 days at county lock up and 200 hours community service? Loss of right hand? Life time ban from pool and bowling? Life in prison? Or is it worse even? Say it's not a capital offense for god's sake!! :frown:[/QUOT

A better word would have been, 'flagrant' Mr. metmot but with such an intense response I hope I never have to tell you ," That was a bad hit."
It sounds as if you need a hug. :hug::kiss:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Under the best of conditions, it is unsportsmanlike conduct and referee can penalize anything he wants to including loss of game, match or disqualification.

Under more serious pool room and/or gambling conditions, would seem to be asking for a good ass kicking.

If someone did that playing against me, i would surely consider him not to have respect for the spirit of the game, and would never play another rack with him.

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the responses are for a tournament sinerio. I could see this happening in a money game or race...but some small time hustler. You'll screem YOU LOSE, UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT...he laughs and says "this aint no tournmament, you get ball in hand and we'll spot the 9". What do you do then? I'd say a good boot to the head is in order...what's he gonna do, call the tournament director?

L8R...Ken

BTW, The answer is YOU LOSE!!!

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
Very serious? How serious? 30 days at county lock up and 200 hours community service? Loss of right hand? Life time ban from pool and bowling? Life in prison? Or is it worse even? Say it's not a capital offense for god's sake!! :frown:

Familiarize yourself with the rule book.

Intentional/Unsportsmanlike fouls are penalized at the discretion of the league operator or tournament director.

A) If it was the league I run and the offender is new and does not know the rules:

1) They would be educated and know next time would not be tolerated
2) Restore the 9 to its previous position - Ball in hand

B) If it was the league I run and the offender knows better:

1) Minimum loss of game
2) Maximum expulsion from the league - forfeiture of any money invested.

If someone I was gambling with acted this way and it could not be resolved the set would be over.

Last edited: