Samsara vs. Gulyassy J/Bs

axlrose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using a BK2 for about six years now and am thinking about trying a new break cue, preferably with a leather wrap. The two I am most interested in are the Samsara JB and the Gulyassy Anvil. With price not being the determining factor, I would appreciate any feedback on either cue from those who have tried them with respect to quality of construction, feel, and general performance.

Thank you ahead of time for any input.

Ryan

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsara looks better, MG jumps better, they both break OK. I have had both, and now I break with a Players J/B with a white diamond tip and its the tits, oh yea and its under $100.

I do think the MG jumps way better than mine now, and honestly the anvil may be one of the best jump cues you can buy. So if you are set on one of those 2, I vote MG for sure.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mg

I have been using the Gulyassy for a long time, the original one, he makes a good product and it jumps better than the other JB cues I have tried.

I think that they break the same, it seems more about finding out the weight of the cue you want to break with more than the type.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned them both and liked them both. It would be difficult for me to give a honest review on them because one had a phenolic tip and the other had a leather tip. I can say the Samsara felt more comfortable to me and I think this was mostly due to the shaft taper being very similar to that of my playing cue. Both cues were very nice as far as fit and finish are concerned. I wouldn't hesitate to own either cue again. It's really just matter of preference. I liked the Gulyassy radial pin and with the phenolic tip it jumped extremely well and broke like an animal. I'm not a fan of the Samsara using the unilock pin, but liked the shaft taper and controlled whitey much better with the leather tip. To each his own, I think you'd be happy with either cue.

axlrose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great replies

Thanks, guys, for the responses. I thought both cues looked great and have read good things about them. Any other opinions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ryan

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill tell you this. Mike works our tourneys once a month doing repairs and sales. And he sales alot of the anvils at the events. Never heard a bad word about them cues, only good reviews.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I used an original Sledgehammer for quite a long time and jumped and broke with it very well. It was about 17.5 ounces, but that opens up a whole nother can of worms.
I have an Alex Brick dymondwood (butt and shaft) cue with a lizard skin wrap. I haven't jumped with it a lot, but when I do, I have a tendancy to jump my object ball. It's ridiculous. No complaints about breaking with it, either.
kv

UPlayLucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsara J/B

I own a Samsara J/B and my only issue is there isn't any kind of quick release. If you want to use it as a jump cue, it takes a little time taking a section off.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of the 2, I would go with the Predator Break. It hit real solid. Then I would contact Lomax and get him to build you a jumper. As soon as I get a few things straightened out, I am gonna get one myself.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
One thing about my shafts on the Anvil is that they are the hardest shafts on the planet. Why? because of the shaft freeze, it is ridiculously hard.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Out of the 2, I would go with the Predator Break. It hit real solid. Then I would contact Lomax and get him to build you a jumper. As soon as I get a few things straightened out, I am gonna get one myself.

saved me a lot of typing........

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very good friend of mine bought me an Anvil J/B for Christmas. I absolutely love it!! My break has increased tremendously. I am a BCA LO in S. Orange County CA. We have several players using the Orange Crusher, which was my first experience with a Gulyassy cue. The consistency of the hit and feel is unbelievable. I HIGHLY recommend any Gulyassy cue.

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
Gulyassy for sure

I am also in the Gulyassy camp, although I am a big fan of the Samsara break tips. I have been using the Orange Crusher for over a year now, and I love it. I've also hit with the Anvil, and it hits and jumps as well as anything else I've ever used. The shaft freeze that Mike uses is the nuts. I also love the taper on his cues. I actually had Mike make me a playing shaft for my Orange Crusher with a melamine ferrule and kamui black tip because I liked the taper so much. My Orange Crusher breaks the balls so well that on the tables I play BCA league on I won't use it against a B+ or higher player because I haven't been able to figure out how to consistently make a ball on the break (horrible tables, dirty cloth, dirty balls) and the rack just spreads wide open for my opponent even with a soft break. On good tables, like Hard Times, it is the nuts. Easy to control whitey, balls drop in the pockets like they were shot from a cannon. If I were going to buy another break cue, it would definitely be a Gulyassy.

Johnny

Gulyassy all day

Mike's J/B are the best. Have him trick it out for you some. Here's mine with 2 shafts one phenolic, the other phelolic cut off with a Samsara J/B tip.

Attachments

• Gulyassy jb 2.jpg
    Gulyassy jb 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Gulyassy custom jb3.jpg
    Gulyassy custom jb3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 504
  • Gulyassy jb 1.jpg
    Gulyassy jb 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 462

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Are you still knocking them out for a reduced price or has that promotion ended?

I sold out for the Christmas sale but have the new ones for the SBE. I also have a new line of cues called the Mother of Pearl playing cues to be debut at the SBE.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote both, MG B/J cue, with shortened phenolic ferrule, and Samsara break tip,,,,,,oh yeah, now it HITS