San Jose Dick's Titanic story, part 1

thanks Mr. Beard.


yeah that is stromg-a great read, i read about 1/3 so far.


i'm goinna give it 4 1/2 nine balls
 
Last edited:
freddy the beard said:
San Jose Dick has allowed me to publish his lengthy Titanic Thompson war story on my blog for your reading enjoyment. http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/

the Beard

(I give it 4 nine balls):) :) :) :)

Loved it! Thanks Freddie. I barely remember Ti, just that he was an old man that all the old timers seemed to admire. I had no idea who he was back then. The Titanic Thompson books and stories had yet to be published in the early 60's.
 
Stories

Freddy,

I just bought your videos and subsequently went onto to your website and found some of those stories. They are a great contribution to the world of pool and thank you for taking your time to post that up. Bank on Freddy!
 
freddy the beard said:
San Jose Dick has allowed me to publish his lengthy Titanic Thompson war story on my blog for your reading enjoyment. http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/

the Beard

(I give it 4 nine balls):) :) :) :)
thanks for the link. great read. i met ti in dallas in the 60's, i went off for 6 or 9 dollars a day on his props. he told me some really great stories, which are to long to repete. he said he was still the best skeet shooter using both hands, also the best duck pin bowler, after the props i'd seen i believed him. he told me he made $150,000.00 in oklahoma in the 20's selling phony oil leases, i said wow! what did you do with the money? he said "why i spent it buying phony oil leases" everyone wanted to be an oilman in oklahoma then.
PS; Sam Snead said in his golf book he thought ti was the best golfer of all.
 
Last edited:
androd said:
thanks for the link. great read. i met ti in dallas in the 60's, i went off for 6 or 9 dollars a day on his props. he told me some really great stories, which are to long to repete. he said he was still the best skeet shooter using both hands, also the best duck pin bowler, after the props i'd seen i believed him. he told me he made $150,000.00 in oklahoma in the 20's selling phony oil leases, i said wow! what did you do with the money? he said "why i spent it buying phony oil leases" everyone wanted to be an oilman in oklahoma then.
PS; Sam Snead said in his golf book he thought ti was the best golfer of all.

That's right Androd, Snead did make that statement. And Ben Hogan, who Ti was good friend's with, once said, " the man is the greatest natural golfer I've ever seen". Why didn't he become a Pro golfer ? as Ironman said, he could not afford the cut in pay. Ti may not have been a 'Tiger Wood's" but if Tiger gambled, and the game was right, Ti would have figured out a way to get the cash. Ask Lee Trevino, (who, as a young Texan, was a pretty good golf hustler himself) what he thought of Ti's golf game.

Dick
 
jay helfert said:
Loved it! Thanks Freddie. I barely remember Ti, just that he was an old man that all the old timers seemed to admire. I had no idea who he was back then. The Titanic Thompson books and stories had yet to be published in the early 60's.

Glad you enjoyed the remenicing of an 'ancient' person. I resent you implying that I am older than you. Who has the most hair ? ;)
 
Last edited:
SJDinPHX said:
Glad you enjoyed the remenicing of an 'ancient' person. I resent you implying that I am older than you. Who has the most hair ? ;)

Thanks to you Dick... and to Freddie.

Thanks much to both of you for getting this story out to the masses. I love the stories from back in the day.

Dick, you also write so as to provide enterainment for the reader. Very enjoyable read.
 
I remember reading something about Titanic years. He had a license to carry a concealed weapon. One day some kid tried to rob him and Ti shot and killed him. Anybody else remember this?

Dave Nelson
 
SJDinPHX said:
Glad you enjoyed the remenicing of an 'ancient' person. I resent you implying that I am older than you. Who has the most hair ? ;)


Have you seen my back?
 
Dave Nelson said:
I remember reading something about Titanic years. He had a license to carry a concealed weapon. One day some kid tried to rob him and Ti shot and killed him. Anybody else remember this?

Dave Nelson


Here's the story Dave. The kid was a caddy and was working for Ty. He saw all the thousands Ty had in his golf bag (he was gambling high that day), and decided to rob him. He got someone else to take Ty's bag on the back nine, pleading illness.

Then the kid came out on the course with his gun and a bag over his head, with holes cut out for his eyes. He accosted Ty and told him it was a robbery. Ty faked a heart attack and fell to the ground. In the confusion Ty got out his .44 and shoot the kid right through the bag and his head.

Puckett told me that story. Swears he was there, but that part I don't believe. Puckett was no golfer. But he was a tush hog, so you never know. Ty might have had him out there to make sure he collects his winnings.
 
jay helfert said:
Here's the story Dave. The kid was a caddy and was working for Ty. He saw all the thousands Ty had in his golf bag (he was gambling high that day), and decided to rob him. He got someone else to take Ty's bag on the back nine, pleading illness.

Then the kid came out on the course with his gun and a bag over his head, with holes cut out for his eyes. He accosted Ty and told him it was a robbery. Ty faked a heart attack and fell to the ground. In the confusion Ty got out his .44 and shoot the kid right through the bag and his head.

Puckett told me that story. Swears he was there, but that part I don't believe. Puckett was no golfer. But he was a tush hog, so you never know. Ty might have had him out there to make sure he collects his winnings.

Heard that story pretty much the way you told it Jay. Puckett didn't get real close to many people, but he worshiped the ground Ti walked on. If he interupted him in the middle of a story, Ti would give him "the look" and U.J. would look for a hole to crawl into.
Puckett did mess with golf a little. Get RA to tell you the trap Ronnie, Cicero, (who was a pretty good golfer too)and I forget who else, got Puckett into one year at Johnston City.

Dick
 
Last edited:
freddy the beard said:
San Jose Dick has allowed me to publish his lengthy Titanic Thompson war story on my blog for your reading enjoyment. http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/

the Beard

(I give it 4 nine balls):) :) :) :)

Great story!

You've got a bunch of other great stories on your website Freddy. The younger guys that love pool should spend some smart, quality time at your website.
Best Regards,
JoeyA
 
Back
Top