Sanitizing your Cue - Is Alcohol enough no immune system

pw98

Registered
That is true but to be Honest I am not to keen on the vaccine yet. It seems the 1st one is trial and error. I may try the 2nd one to see if all the bugs are out. I don’t get out to much. Just once and a while. Takes my mind of the problems for a while. Pool takes me back to when I was younger. That is ridiculous to try to sanitize a cue but thought maybe the Alcohol would be good enough as I am bringing the Cue home to minimize the virus issues.
Don't be a fool: take the vaccine. You have much more to lose by not taking it than taking it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be a fool: take the vaccine. You have much more to lose by not taking it than taking it.
Sadly he seems to be more concerned about sanitizing his cue so he can go out to a crowded pool room, but not concerned about getting the vaccine.

Most people I’ve come across in our rural western North Carolina / eastern Tennessee location are one extreme or the other - those that are wearing masks at all times, avoiding crowds, trying to get their vaccine ASAP as opposed to those on the opposite end of the spectrum who have made no allowances including no masks, no concern for infecting themselves or their fellow man, no vaccine, no Covid test, etc. It makes it extremely tough trying to run a small business without losing a number of our regular customers and tourists.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Sadly he seems to be more concerned about sanitizing his cue so he can go out to a crowded pool room, but not concerned about getting the vaccine.

Most people I’ve come across in our rural western North Carolina / eastern Tennessee location are one extreme or the other - those that are wearing masks at all times, avoiding crowds, trying to get their vaccine ASAP as opposed to those on the opposite end of the spectrum who have made no allowances including no masks, no concern for infecting themselves or their fellow man, no vaccine, no Covid test, etc. It makes it extremely tough trying to run a small business without losing a number of our regular customers and tourists.

He's on chemo.

Maybe his doctor has better advice?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It's his life, his choice, as limited as it is.

I hate to be so brutal, but if he's dying---if I was dying, I'd play as much as I could, risks and all.

Jeff Livingston

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?

I hate to be so brutal, but if he's dying---if I was dying, I'd play as much as I could, risks and all.

Jeff Livingston
Live free and enjoy the life you want. People that jump off mountains in a squirrel suit have a much greater chance of dying, but they are living it up while they can. Not for you? don't do it, but don't knock them for it. Scared to play pool, but its ok to drive (driving is risky enough) to the grocery store, wander around with strangers, touching things 100's of people touched before you, share the air that is squirting out around everyone's mask, touch the change back from the sale and just jam it back in your pocket etc. So yes he is more at risk, so take as many precautions as possible, but don't hide if you don't want to.

P.S. Jeff nice new picture. Did you take it on the border before they tear it down.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I don't believe anyone has caught covid from a surface............... keep you hands out of you nose and eyes............. wash you hands....... wear a mask

Kim

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston
That perspective seems out of line with your contention that we could all live together in a mutually beneficial manner.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once again a equipment thread. I apologize for the bother ahead of time but have a question that is serious to me. I found out last year that I had Colon Cancer. Something you hate to hear especially at 42. But after Surgery and Chemo treatments my Immune system is not up to par. When we play at a Friends house or a pool room I immediately clean my cues when I get home just to be on the safe side. This virus makes me paranoid to a extreme with not having a immune system like it should be. I thought about wiping them down Clorox wipes then thought that maybe not the best idea as it could affect the finish. So I usually use a paper towel that is cloth like and 91 percent alcohol. Clean the shaft and butt let dry then burnish the shaft. Is that good enough or is there a better method. This virus makes me wonder as people can carry it and show no symptoms. So that is why I want to clean or disinfect my cues so to speak. If I go to a Friends house and know they wash their hands and is clean then I don’t worry about it. But at the pool hall with 50-60 people you never know. Again Sorry for the lame thread just don’t want to damage my older cues. Thanks

Please don't think I am laughing at you, or no more than at myself. I read a list of seven or eight things that increased a person's risks from Covid. I said, "Ha, I'm not pregnant!" True story, I was in every other category on the list.

Hank said it well about seventy-five years ago.

Hu

Hank Williams I'll never get out of this world alive - Bing video

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultaviolet wand? Put in sunny spot in hose for hour or 2? Not saying either works for sure but might be worth looking into.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. . . after Surgery and Chemo treatments my Immune system is not up to par.
PF101: You've read plenty of sound advice here. I'll add this important advice: It is very important that you address the normal, natural consequence of your surgery and chemo that you cite above, by ensuring that you're doing everything possible to enhance the recovery of your immune system.

Your oncologist's team will have sound specialized medical literature that will cover every detail and element of regimens relating to targeted nutrition, sleep quality, practical techniques for managing mental and physical stressors, and easy-to-follow, minimal and specific exercises that importantly enhance the quality and recovery of your lymphatic system and your red and white blood cell count, and your total body's cell quality in general.

These are factors that offer proven ways to bring your immune system as close to normal as possible after critical surgery and chemo have done their part. Get on this as soon as possible in an affirmative, dedicated, informed and methodical manner. You'll get results.

Arnaldo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Once again a equipment thread. I apologize for the bother ahead of time but have a question that is serious to me. I found out last year that I had Colon Cancer. Something you hate to hear especially at 42. But after Surgery and Chemo treatments my Immune system is not up to par. When we play at a Friends house or a pool room I immediately clean my cues when I get home just to be on the safe side. This virus makes me paranoid to a extreme with not having a immune system like it should be. I thought about wiping them down Clorox wipes then thought that maybe not the best idea as it could affect the finish. So I usually use a paper towel that is cloth like and 91 percent alcohol. Clean the shaft and butt let dry then burnish the shaft. Is that good enough or is there a better method. This virus makes me wonder as people can carry it and show no symptoms. So that is why I want to clean or disinfect my cues so to speak. If I go to a Friends house and know they wash their hands and is clean then I don’t worry about it. But at the pool hall with 50-60 people you never know. Again Sorry for the lame thread just don’t want to damage my older cues. Thanks
I'm the same age as you, can't imagine getting such bad news at our age. I'm sorry about your medical situation. I really wouldn't worry about the cues, if I were you. You could get new ones if they get damaged, or just buy a beater cue to use (wrapless gives a better chance of successfully sanitizing). Sadly, cleaning your own cue won't protect you. Every surface you touch could infect you, worse still, the virus is airborne. The only good protection is a proper surgical n95 mask with a valve/vent and not touching anything. Even then the virus could still get in your eyes and ears if someone coughs or sneezes near you. I guess if I had to go to the pool hall in your situation, I'd make sure to bring my own chalk and ball set(wash before and after with alchohol) and wash my hands religiously, making extra sure I don't touch my face at any time. I'd also wash down the wooden part of the rails with alchohol, though I know the cloth is impossible to disinfect, I'd want at least the surfaces that CAN be disinfected to be as clean as possible.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, it's your life, but without a proper immune system ANY infection is a threat. Right now 4000-5000 people die in your country every day from Covid 19. There is a 9/11 every day, basically. Going to a pool hall to play is a huge risk. I hope you have done the math, and think that risk is worth taking. If you have a good prognosis on your treatment, maybe you should think it over. I wish you good health, no matter what you choose to do.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Wiping your cue with at least 60% alcohol for 30 seconds destroys the fat layer around the virus rendering it ineffective.

Im currently averaging 3 days a week in the pool hall. I wear a mask and wash my hands only after relieving myself. I travel on the airlines once a week for a year now. I eat out at restaurants three days a week because of work. I do what I can to stay safe but I’m not hiding in a basement.

I believe the best preventive measure for me is, I take at least 5000 units of D3 with K2 and recently added Zinc and a “B” complex. My last blood work showed my “D” level was at 31, it should be above 50 so I’ve bumped up my D3 to 10,000 units every other day.
Alcohol is not recommended on the finish I use for my cues.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stated earlier that I have underlying issues. About the vaccine, I've taken the first shot and the second is a little over a week away. Pool for me is only a hobby, I'm not very good. My passion is motorcycles. Even with snow on the ground I'm out riding. Always have, always will.

Now if I die crashing a bike into a tree that's the risk of the game. But damn, I'm sure going to try to avoid slowly choking to death in a hospital bed over the next six weeks. That's what happened to two guys, friends, I know and taught with on a gun range. They were father and son. This had a profound impact on my thinking.

Take the freakin' vaccine.