Sanitizing your Cue - Is Alcohol enough no immune system

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there might be something to the alcohol theory. It seems to be popular with a lot of pool players.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sanitizing your cue after playing in a public pool hall is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the same age as you, can't imagine getting such bad news at our age. I'm sorry about your medical situation. I really wouldn't worry about the cues, if I were you. You could get new ones if they get damaged, or just buy a beater cue to use (wrapless gives a better chance of successfully sanitizing). Sadly, cleaning your own cue won't protect you. Every surface you touch could infect you, worse still, the virus is airborne. The only good protection is a proper surgical n95 mask with a valve/vent and not touching anything. Even then the virus could still get in your eyes and ears if someone coughs or sneezes near you. I guess if I had to go to the pool hall in your situation, I'd make sure to bring my own chalk and ball set(wash before and after with alchohol) and wash my hands religiously, making extra sure I don't touch my face at any time. I'd also wash down the wooden part of the rails with alchohol, though I know the cloth is impossible to disinfect, I'd want at least the surfaces that CAN be disinfected to be as clean as possible.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, it's your life, but without a proper immune system ANY infection is a threat. Right now 4000-5000 people die in your country every day from Covid 19. There is a 9/11 every day, basically. Going to a pool hall to play is a huge risk. I hope you have done the math, and think that risk is worth taking. If you have a good prognosis on your treatment, maybe you should think it over. I wish you good health, no matter what you choose to do.
Thank you , Yes hearing you have Cancer at 42 is not what you want to hear. If I was 70 or so it would not bother Me as Bad as I would have lived most of my Life. But at 42 you hope to have a few good years left before you get sick. They removed a foot of my Colon and I finished the Chemo treatments. I don’t go out to much at all. I get stir crazy sometimes and get out because of being in the house to much lol. I know it was a Silly question but sometimes when you overthink a situation that happens ,have a lot of time on my hands. Thank you all for the reply’s. I Appreciate it. Thanks for over looking the silliness of it and giving me advice. Pool players we are , the game brings us together. Memories from a long ago time when we hit our first ball and was in a real pool hall from days gone by.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I stated earlier that I have underlying issues. About the vaccine, I've taken the first shot and the second is a little over a week away. Pool for me is only a hobby, I'm not very good. My passion is motorcycles. Even with snow on the ground I'm out riding. Always have, always will.

Now if I die crashing a bike into a tree that's the risk of the game. But damn, I'm sure going to try to avoid slowly choking to death in a hospital bed over the next six weeks. That's what happened to two guys, friends, I know and taught with on a gun range. They were father and son. This had a profound impact on my thinking.

Take the freakin' vaccine.
Sorry for the loss of your friends. This is a terrible illness and a bad way to go. My female boss got sick 3 months ago and still has a lot of residual symptoms, despite being "cured". She has to use asthma medication in order to do simple tasks, she's constantly out of breath and who knows if she'll ever truely recover. I'm last in line to get the vaccine, being below 44 years of age and with no underlying illness, but you bet I'll take the vaccine when the time comes.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All retards please buy a bubble and just stay home. Never leave your house again. Then you will be safe from the virus and all of us murderous, non-mask wearing, cretins.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All retards please buy a bubble and just stay home. Never leave your house again. Then you will be safe from the virus and all of us murderous, non-mask wearing, cretins.
You got the last part right, "non-mask wearing, cretins."

To the OP, I think someone mentioned it, but if your only worry is the cue, just keep a beater in your car for when you go out.
Good luck on your other health issues.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Thanks, I didn’t know that. I guess it’s not a urethane finish?
It's britetone crystalac instrument finish which I love due to it's durability and non toxicity. High concentrations of alcohol can dull it. It's fully cured after 30 days and tough as hell though. Mild soap and damp rag is best for it.

JC

Coos Cues
Get fucked.
I understand your frustration. One of my very best friends is on life support and may not survive as I write this. Here in Oregon we are very mask mandated. He wore one, the people around him wore one. Yet here we are.

This virus is brutal and the mask is not fixing it. It's only dividing us as the covid marches on. This is the reality.

Want to say fuck something? Fuck China.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wiping your cue with at least 60% alcohol for 30 seconds destroys the fat layer around the virus rendering it ineffective.

Im currently averaging 3 days a week in the pool hall. I wear a mask and wash my hands only after relieving myself. I travel on the airlines once a week for a year now. I eat out at restaurants three days a week because of work. I do what I can to stay safe but I’m not hiding in a basement.

I believe the best preventive measure for me is, I take at least 5000 units of D3 with K2 and recently added Zinc and a “B” complex. My last blood work showed my “D” level was at 31, it should be above 50 so I’ve bumped up my D3 to 10,000 units every other day.

I take 5000 units of D3 every day, and I have to go out somewhere at least once a day; food, bank, post office, pharmacy. I ALWAYS wear a mask in public and keep a "social" distance at all times! When I get back to my car I wipe my hands thoroughly with hand sanitizer and make sure not to touch my face. I wash my hands again when I get home. I don't go to any gatherings and never have more than one guest visit me at a time, and we usually sit outside on the deck and talk wearing masks. When our friends come by to bring us something they will sit in their car in the driveway, masks on, and we will talk, also wearing masks. Same when we bring something to them. I won't be going to any pool tournaments or poolrooms anytime soon either. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps by late Spring when enough people have had the vaccine.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no virus. It's all a scam, stop watching the "news" and get on with your life. Now you have heard the truth.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take 5000 units of D3 every day, and I have to go out somewhere at least once a day; food, bank, post office, pharmacy. I ALWAYS wear a mask in public and keep a "social" distance at all times! When I get back to my car I wipe my hands thoroughly with hand sanitizer and make sure not to touch my face. I wash my hands again when I get home. I don't go to any gatherings and never have more than one guest visit me at a time, and we usually sit outside on the deck and talk wearing masks. When our friends come by to bring us something they will sit in their car in the driveway, masks on, and we will talk, also wearing masks. Same when we bring something to them. I won't be going to any pool tournaments or poolrooms anytime soon either. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps by late Spring when enough people have had the vaccine.
What is D3

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the loss of your friends. This is a terrible illness and a bad way to go. My female boss got sick 3 months ago and still has a lot of residual symptoms, despite being "cured". She has to use asthma medication in order to do simple tasks, she's constantly out of breath and who knows if she'll ever truely recover. I'm last in line to get the vaccine, being below 44 years of age and with no underlying illness, but you bet I'll take the vaccine when the time comes.
I also know two people who died from covid and I'm on 3 lists - one at the VA. One with the local health department. One with a local hospital. Wife and I both over 70 and she has high blood pressure and takes a hormone blocker as she recovers from breast cancer. Neither of us know when we will get a vaccine.

Part of our problem is our location. There are three hospitals in this city and health care workers were tier one so they took up all the vaccine for the entire county. One of the people I knew who died was a fellow Vietnam Vet who died at the VA hospital. His family tried to set up a video chat so he could talk to them but the VA said no. They subsequently contacted a social worker who said sure - no problem setting up a video chat - but by then he was non-responsive. He died alone in a VA hospital room never getting to see his family. Piss poor way to treat a man who fought for his country in my humble opinion but poor people don't get treated the same as the rich in this country.