stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Condolences to the family.

Always liked talking with him at DCC in the early years. He was good people. ❤️

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got a called he just passed on. Spent some time chatting with em this past Sunday.
Good Man.

bm

It is so sad to hear when a pool legend passes and Scott was certainly a legend.

For years he officiated at the DCC and his tournament match calls and intros were always great and often humorous, like when he'd pull out a train whistle and call Michael Coltrain's match. Sometimes he rag on a particular player over the mike, like when Grady, unsuspecting, lost a bundle to this elfin-like pool player from Russia no one had heard of, namely Eugene Stalev. Scott and I had only a few minor interactions that culminated at the 2009 DCC at the Executive West. It went like this:

#####
Tuesday I draw Bob Owens of Schurtz cues. He plays strong but Lou wins 3-0. At one point in the match we call Scotty over to call a frozen shot I have to shoot. I look at him and deadpan, 'You know, in all the years I've played here you've been called over to make a call on me three or four times and you've never given me the call.' We all have a good laugh, Lou shoots and, miraculously, Scotty gives me the call.'
####

RIP, Scott... and thanks for the call.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad to hear. Knew him well. He was among the best tournament directors we've ever seen. He was an expert at introducing players as they entered the playing arena, making such entrances genuinely exciting.

Gone but not forgotten. Condolences to his family and friends.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
During that era, Scotts picture of em in that hat, he'd placed 4th in a W. Coast pro event, can't remember the event by name, but they were all there. Might of been a Richie Florence event???

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I last got to play him 10 days ago at our local Sunday 8-ball tournament, got to say he wasn’t looking his best. Been a rough month in Colorado Springs for our older pool players. First Tony Cisneros, now Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony passed? I didnt know. We were good friends and ran around for years. We played on a couple HCPL championship teams together too.. Still got the winter session jacket and a photo from the summer session...lol. Last time I saw him was a few months after Charlie passed when I was there for a visit.

Attachments

• 20231227_221945.jpg
    20231227_221945.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm so sad to read this news. I had always wondered where he was the past years at the pool tournaments. He knew the players well, which made him THE BEST announcer. Keith McCready's intro started out like this by Scott: "Sponsored by Budweiser." Well, that's because Keith was the only one drinking beer. Budweiser in a brown bottle to be exact. Scott had the prefect voice too on the mic.

Scott and Keith were good friends, very good friends. They enjoyed each other's company. Scott was always busy at the pool tournaments behind the scenes. If there were lines made on upcoming matches, Scott who were the favorites because he attended all the pool events and knew how they played.

Here's a photo I look of Scott autographing a cigar for a pool fan at the U.S. Open in front of the Chesapeake Conference Center at Chesapeake, Virginia. Scott loved his cigars.

Scott Smith[1].JPG

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A funny story involving Scott at 2004 DCC one pocket event:

Scott wanted to announce the match I was in and asked me for info, I had met him a few times since moving to CO, but we didn't know each other well. I mentioned to him I was friends with his ex-wife, Laura (one of my favorite Denver peeps). Next thing I hear over the loud speaker was "You're dating my ex? Good luck to ya pal."

I almost spit out my drink it was so quick witted and funny. Laura didn't think so when I told her. Hahahahaha

RIP Scott.
Hahaha! That's a great Scott story. Hahaha! He did have that wit about him.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have other photos of Scott, but they are on an older computer that's in the garage. Here is one I found, though of Scott, Keith, and the two Glass City Open promoters (Tom Gearhart and I can't remember the other man's name).

56952734_10156427951803020_9133606657727660032_n.jpg

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received the following email...

Scott the shot Smith My Awesome Dad​

I regret to inform all the wonderful pool players in these forums and tournaments but Scott "the Shot" Smith Died last night. Our family was close to him as to make him as comfortable as possible. Just wanted y'all to know . He was accompanied by all 3 of his daughters and two sons and lovely wife. Friends came from all over. I'll leave details of his service in a few days
Sounds like a man who led a full life.

RIP

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Some good pool player stories, that kept me up last night.....

Since I was from the Colorado Springs area since 71, players and player room owners came and set up stakes, with Grady Matthews being the first. Then Scott Smith showed up, then Bill & Barb Stroud.
Scotts first place was the ''Bank Shot'' a very small/successful business, this was in his early years before he married Laura Benarauskis (spelling?) we called her Beanie for short.
Scott was smart, and very successful as a businessman, he then Opened his second place, a real full size pool room called....The Rack and Roll, where he also held music venues.
In his beginning days of this room, in the early 80's, I don't know how he did it, but he got this young woman, about 5'4'' in height to play her music, $7 a head at the door, that wa$ allot of money to pay to see a band in a bar/pool room.
She had just left the music tour as a backup singer with Michael Jackson..... it was Cheryl Crow with her tour bus (like a Greyhound) parked in the back, and WOW did she have the pipes, this girl could REALLY sing, no one this good had EVER been in this small Ft. Carson/USAFA town before.
I was totally amazed.
Then Smitty during his early opening of this room had Efren/Bustamante & Luat come thru.
I played Efren in his pool room Opening exhibition and afterwards hooked up on the 9' with Busty and Luat.... Luat could really play, better than Busty then and Efren didn't have to like it at all in match play.
Scott just had soooooo many talents and it showed is sooooooooo many ways.

bm

Last edited: