Scotty Townsend Podcast On TheActionReport.com

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Just put up our newest podcast. Its been a minute since the last one, but we are back in action baby!!!

I talk a little about the Shooters event and Chad interviews Scotty Townsend. Scotty for those who don't know him is a true one of a kind. He has been there and done that in the pool world, and you'll not find a nicer guy.

This interview has some of the best quotes I have ever heard.

Scotty on booking losers:
"I don't feel I was ever really beat. I just ran out of money a couple of times."

Scotty talking about slowing down on the partying:
"I don't do it like I used to...It could get a little scary. Not for me.....for everybody else."

You don't wanna miss this one.

We also just finished the first set of DVD's from the Shooters event. It is 3 hours on 2 DVDs of the 1st round. Players are Dennis Orcollo, Gabe Owen, Jeff Melton and Joey Gray. No commentary but there is ambient audio so you here the balls click and fall as well as the music on the jukebox.

All this stuff is on the main page. www.theactionreport.com
 
Thank You

I don't know if anyone else has shown their appreciation for the podcasts, tournament summaries, etc..., but I would like to take the time and say thank you.

I am listening to the interview with Scotty and I'm quite sure it will be as entertaining as Scotty is.

Keep em coming.

Jeffery
 
Justin
I am looking forward to listening to it --- have a little project this afternoon that I need to complete first. Enjoyed the podcast with Buddy Hall- great stories and maybe you can have him back to tell some more. And of course always enjoy listening to Keith McCready. Thanks to you both.
 
I can't wait to listen to it. You guys are doing a great service to us pool enthusiasts, ESPECIALLY those who are interested in the history of American pool, to include its legendary players, the unsung heroes to many of us.

Because of the lack of documented records for American pool players, these podcasts are real gems.

Thanks! :)

JAM
 
JAM said:
I can't wait to listen to it. You guys are doing a great service to us pool enthusiasts, ESPECIALLY those who are interested in the history of American pool, to include its legendary players, the unsung heroes to many of us.

Because of the lack of documented records for American pool players, these podcasts are real gems.

Thanks! :)

JAM


JAM,
You will definitely enjoy it. You and Keith are talked about in the interview. Scotty must definitely be a player with alot of heart as well as his style and atitude. A very gritty man with, I imagine, a ton of stories that I would really enjoy hearing.:D

Gary
 
Great Interview

Great interview. JAM you wont be disappointed, as a couple people have noted, you and Keith are mentioned.

The story of his girlfriend wearing out her pants was funny, along with his line "I've never felt like I got beat, just ran out of money" CLASSIC.
 
Great job, guys. You can understand why every Scotty Townsend thread started here on AZ has had over 100 posts. Only wish you had more time. The stories are endless and true. The height of the Huey P. Long bridge at the point where Scotty jumped off might be in question but no one questions whether he did it or not. Damn,,,,,,,,Scotty is fun.
 
hemicudas said:
Great job, guys. You can understand why every Scotty Townsend thread started here on AZ has had over 100 posts. Only wish you had more time. The stories are endless and true. The height of the Huey P. Long bridge at the point where Scotty jumped off might be in question but no one questions whether he did it or not. Damn,,,,,,,,Scotty is fun.

Like Buddy Hall said on propoolvideo.com, "Heart is the main ingredient for a top player."

Scotty told Warren Kiamco, the Filipino champ, to take his 8-ball spot and stick it-- he'll just play him even... and then ran over him. Heart.

How many bridges has Efren jumped off of for money? Heart.

How many people in the world could have beat St. Louie Louie 9 straight sets in his prime? Heart.
 
"Knocking those pool balls into Folgers coffee cans at 4 or 5 in the morning..." LoL.. Classic Scotty!

Like Scotty, I played in most of the Huebler bar box events. Scotty definitely dominated that tournament in Texas - and he finished real high at the one in Vegas the year before (although I do believe that he did smash his cue when he finally lost ... he screamed... "Everytime this guy breaks the 5 ball flies into that damn pocket!!!" lol ... the look on Gary Benson's face was ... priceless. lol. Classic Scotty!

I have a lot of respect for Scotty putting his family first. He is definitely a legend in our game and I hope we get to see a lot more of him in the future.

Great job by the action report !
 
GREAT INTERVIEW GUYS! I really enjoyed trying to decipher Scotty's southern drawl. Try it sometime when he's been drinking, and you'll be lucky to understand every third word. Been there, done that. Lisciotti was the same way. When he was toasted, he had a lot to say, too bad I could never understand it.

I love these guys, who have somehow managed to make a living from this game all their lives. I don't think Scotty has ever done anything but shoot balls in holes. I never heard of him owning a joint or selling cues or any other related jobs.

I can't even remember where I first met Scotty, but it seems like I have known him forever, definitely back 25 years or more. Gotta run, will finish this later.

Okay, where was I? I loved the part where Scotty talks about making a tip from a leather belt. I've always felt like almost any good tip will work, if you can shape it and "work" it a little. Sometimes I need to soften up a new tip, and shape the edges. Then it's good to go.

In the very beginning Chad intros Scotty as a great player from the "past". I think he is still a great player in the "present". I wonder what U.S. Bar Table champ Kiamco would say about that. Other famous Scottyisms include "I never lost to anyone, just ran out of money" and "When I get drunk it's scary, but not for me, for everyone else". Funny sh-t here.

I think Scotty is right on when he talks about how many top players there were in the old days. He sets the bar higher than me and says there were only 100. And probably that's about all there were in his league. When I was playing a lot in the 70's, I used to say there were maybe 200 top players worldwide.

And I love what he had to say about getting the 8 ball. It may be the most important advice he gives in the whole interview. Did you hear him say a spot gives you an excuse to lose? What a line! It's worth playing again just to hear that. At a high level, pool becomes as much a mental game as a physical one. He won that match with Kiamco before it started. Psychologically, he beat him before a ball was struck. Those Southern boys can be pretty cagey.
 
Last edited:
Scotty has always been Scotty. He has outran the nuts several times and has made many bad games. However through it all he brings his game and steps out there firing. He is very offensive minded playing pool and
that carries over to his life. He has done a little bit of everything and his stories are great.

His beating of Kiamco did surprise me but not that much. After all it was a
bar table and Scotty is a former US Bar Table champion.
He won't back down that is for sure.

I was lucky enough to be around Scotty all over the south and then when he would "be home" for a short time. He played the weekly events around and I got to play him a few times. He always won but he always let you play a little.


As for other jobs (Jay mentioned) I have known of Scotty to have had one other job. Likely that he had more but I know of the one non-pool job.
A fellow player in Florida hooked ST up and from from I was told he did quite well at it.
I will let someone else tell the occupation or Scotty himself. Nothing to be a shamed at but it is his business.
The joke I heard was that after a few days on the job that the owner said that ST could give the 8 to his regulars.

Not sure how true any of it is as pool players will talk and things sometimes get changed a little.

Good guy and helluva player. He still olds my top spot for 2nd best shot ever that I witnessed live.
 
Justin,
A couple of other members of AZB dug up an old thread and were looking for the Podcast with Chad interviewing Scotty Townsend. Can you tell them what number podcast or where they might listen to it?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=71987


Thanks,
JoeyA



Just put up our newest podcast. Its been a minute since the last one, but we are back in action baby!!!

I talk a little about the Shooters event and Chad interviews Scotty Townsend. Scotty for those who don't know him is a true one of a kind. He has been there and done that in the pool world, and you'll not find a nicer guy.

This interview has some of the best quotes I have ever heard.

Scotty on booking losers:
"I don't feel I was ever really beat. I just ran out of money a couple of times."

Scotty talking about slowing down on the partying:
"I don't do it like I used to...It could get a little scary. Not for me.....for everybody else."

You don't wanna miss this one.

We also just finished the first set of DVD's from the Shooters event. It is 3 hours on 2 DVDs of the 1st round. Players are Dennis Orcollo, Gabe Owen, Jeff Melton and Joey Gray. No commentary but there is ambient audio so you here the balls click and fall as well as the music on the jukebox.

All this stuff is on the main page. www.theactionreport.com
 
Back
Top