Scotty Townsend stories

gpeezy

for sale!
Memphis

I have a couple but the first is when he came to the super bowl tournament in Memphis. He was wearing boots, black jeans, a white t shirt, and a black leather vest. His apparel will come into play later. He showed up around 4-5 Friday afternoon and started drinking. All weekend he was gambling doing something. I basically stayed at the poolroom
The entire weekend drinking myself. He somehow ended up with a bottle of Seagrams 7 that he had sitting just beside the table he was playing on all weekend. The only thing that changed with his clothes that whole weekend was that he took off his t shirt and left the vest on. He polished off the bottle and what ever players he got to play and that was a weekend. He was a bar warrior for sure.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A photo shared on Facebook by Debra Mock, Scotty's childhood sweetheart. This may be the 2009 Harley Davidson he was riding when he had the accident.

A friend told me that Scotty saw Goodtime Charlie that morning and said Scotty said he was leaving to go see his girlfriend when the accident happened.

He sure was a handsome man.

Attachments

• 15672958_10211032085108892_5335446353340744805_n.jpg
    15672958_10211032085108892_5335446353340744805_n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2,184

atlslim

Registered
thanks you guys for all the stories and especially the pics jam, i havent seen scotty in 20 years but i will never forget him for sure. he was 1 of a kind and that is why everybody loved him. dont make them like scotty anymore

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I saw him in Memphis once and in the 3 days the tournament was going on,he said he lost count of how many beers he had when the number was in the 70's.

Three cases of beer and he was not only upright,but coherent and running out :confused:. Tommy D.

It's a learned skill - as long as I could stand(
Not even talk) I could run out on a BB. Long time ago my friends(practicing now :grin-square:)
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Interesting story. :grin-square:

Keith had a room in Reno, sharing it with LilJon, but for whatever reason, he gave his bed up to Pots and Pans and left the hotel with Scotty. What they did, where they stayed, and what happened this week still is a mystery to me. And it may be better left a mystery. ;)

What I remember most about IPT Reno was the players did not get paid at the end of the tournament. They were given the ol' "check's in the mail" routine. Of course, I did not believe Keith when he told me this on the telephone, thinking he gambled his tournament monies away. Keith sold his IPT tournament monies to Billy Incardona for, I think, 10 or 15 percent, and Billy paid Keith whatever he had coming. Keith was the only IPT player who came home with some money, thanks to Billy.

I know that Keith and Scotty were really good friends. I never realized how much until Scotty's wife passed away from cancer a few years ago. Keith called up Scotty to express his sorrow, and Scotty was a wreck. He was emotionally distraught. He tried to hold it together for his family, but behind the scenes, he was having difficulties accepting the tremendous loss. She was his true love in life, and Scotty was hurting. :frown:

Scotty and Keith hadn't seen each other since the above-referenced IPT Reno event, and even though they were always miles and miles apart for most of the last decade, the bond between them was strong. Without hesitation, Keith asked me to drive to the nearest Western Union right way. He wired Scotty $500 to help him get through this difficult time. He knew Scotty would never ask for help, and he told me this is what friends do for each other. Scotty cried when Keith did this. It was a tender moment between the two of them that I witnessed. Money cannot buy happiness, but it can ease the pain when a good friend is in need and suffering.

I'm not sure I want to know any more about the IPT Reno tournament with the Dynamic Duo of Scotty and Keith, but it was nice reading this gambling story. :cool:

Keith has a ton of Scotty stories. I'll see if I can get him to post one in this thread later in the day.

Best post ever on AZ
Jason

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few more Scotty photos posted by his son, Michael, on FB.

Scott and Michael in the first photo. Scotty and Tommy Kennedy in the second.

Attachments

• 10371935_455417821268336_1002586513741909212_n.jpg
    10371935_455417821268336_1002586513741909212_n.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,109
  • 15622432_136371660187958_1263278456775558840_n.jpg
    15622432_136371660187958_1263278456775558840_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,056

Tim5071

Registered
Scotty Townsend

Anyone interested, please check out the site I put up for Scotty. The "Home" page is directly from his hand. He gave me this hand written dialog a few years ago. I will be working with Mike House to compile accurate depictions of Scotty's stories. Many of them will shock most people, but those who knew him, will remember some of these stories. Mike House also wrote about a road trip they took many years ago. It's also on the website. I will also be adding pictures, so if you have pictures you would like to contribute to the site, please send them to me and I'll put them on it.

http://www.circleximagery.com/scotty/scottytownsend.html

Tim Culpepper
tim@circleximagery.com
601-919-5060

my last Scotty tale

We have been friends for over twenty years.
The last starcade tournament Scotty was playing Tommy Kennedy and there was an issue with the rack. The two ball had to be behind the nine ball. Scotty racked it in the back claiming it was behind the nine ball. The tournament rules were not clear and he told you just break for me if it's a problem. Tommy Kennedy broke the balls for Scotty Townsend and he ran out. How crazy was that. I was sitting directly from them as the tournament sponsor. Scotty came in Sunday morning and asked, still in.
Love you crazy man. Will miss you.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some great stories about a man I never met. Sounds like quite the character though. Interesting as I picked up the fact he was from West Monroe......where the Duck Dynasty crew is from. Too bad there's no stories of him putting the squeeze on one of those Robertson boys.

Keep those stories coming. I'm enjoying everyone of them.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Some great stories about a man I never met. Sounds like quite the character though. Interesting as I picked up the fact he was from West Monroe......where the Duck Dynasty crew is from. Too bad there's no stories of him putting the squeeze on one of those Robertson boys.

Keep those stories coming. I'm enjoying everyone of them.

more apt to puttin the squeeze on one of the Robertson gals

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having problems dealing with this death

Most of us in Louisiana are really hurting for the sudden death of a great player, but more importantly a great human being - Scotty Townsend. I was going to his funeral tomorrow about a 5 hour drive but this morning I may have has a small stroke and need to stay home for now. GOd Bless Scotty and his entire family, most loved pool player ever and for great reasons !

pooldude918

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first met Scotty in the late eighties at Rusty's billiards in Arlington Texas that's where I learned to play. Well he came back through in 92 or 93 for a tournament or something that was going on me and a few of my buddies was playing the ring game. Scotty just sit and watch for a while. When the ring game was over Scotty was going to pull the old I'll roll the ball under the stick over the table, well it was a drop pocket 8 foot table so you had to roll the ball under the table somehow he knew I knew this trick. Scotty said I'll bet each one of yall 20 bucks I can roll this ball under the stick without it hitting it. I said how about I do it for 50 Scotty said bet, I just grabbed the ball out of his hand rolled it under the table it hit his pool case and rolled back out at my feet, Scotty just kind of winked smiled at me. All I could do was pay off the 50 and kind of laugh about it. He said come on I'll buy you a beer Kid.

In 2002 or 2003 I was running Sharky's in Alexandria Louisiana he comes in for one of our tournaments and orders a 14 or 21 which is a seven and seven or a double Seven and Seven. I overheard him talking to some people at the bar he said he just came in from Dothan Alabama. A little while later he was just sitting there and I asked him hey Scotty how long did it take you to get from Dothan, Scotty said well I don't measure driving in time it took me 18 beers I couldn't help but laugh.

One thing that always amazed me about Scotty he could remember anything I can't recall a time where he didn't remember someone's name. There was a card trick with a story that used about half the deck he could recite that thing and do that trick I don't know how he did that.