Scotty Townsend stories

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who rides and made it past 45, retire the damn bike please.

Well I gave up my pool shooting a many of times I regret doing so ,did so with my bike riding got back into into it few yrs back at 52 now 56 , nothing left gives me the feeling of freedom like crushing the open country road on my Harley if god takes that from me atleast I rode out doing what I love ,,

theluckfactor

all in the presentation
Silver Member
I never met Scotty and am sadden by the loss of this legend. The stories, videos and memorial website are testament of the impact this man has on many peoples lives.

May his memory live forever.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I gave up my pool shooting a many of times I regret doing so ,did so with my bike riding got back into into it few yrs back at 52 now 56 , nothing left gives me the feeling of freedom like crushing the open country road on my Harley if god takes that from me atleast I rode out doing what I love ,,

Same here. Gave up both pool and bike for quite a few years. Started back Rick ding at 56 and am now 62.

BigJohn89

Registered
Lost my best friend of 20 years 2 weeks ago. He was more of a brother than a friend. Some of our best times were playing pool. Scotty will be missed for sure. Anyone with that many stories had many friends.

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting story. :grin-square:

Keith had a room in Reno, sharing it with LilJon, but for whatever reason, he gave his bed up to Pots and Pans and left the hotel with Scotty. What they did, where they stayed, and what happened this week still is a mystery to me. And it may be better left a mystery. ;)

What I remember most about IPT Reno was the players did not get paid at the end of the tournament. They were given the ol' "check's in the mail" routine. Of course, I did not believe Keith when he told me this on the telephone, thinking he gambled his tournament monies away. Keith sold his IPT tournament monies to Billy Incardona for, I think, 10 or 15 percent, and Billy paid Keith whatever he had coming. Keith was the only IPT player who came home with some money, thanks to Billy.

I know that Keith and Scotty were really good friends. I never realized how much until Scotty's wife passed away from cancer a few years ago. Keith called up Scotty to express his sorrow, and Scotty was a wreck. He was emotionally distraught. He tried to hold it together for his family, but behind the scenes, he was having difficulties accepting the tremendous loss. She was his true love in life, and Scotty was hurting. :frown:

Scotty and Keith hadn't seen each other since the above-referenced IPT Reno event, and even though they were always miles and miles apart for most of the last decade, the bond between them was strong. Without hesitation, Keith asked me to drive to the nearest Western Union right way. He wired Scotty $500 to help him get through this difficult time. He knew Scotty would never ask for help, and he told me this is what friends do for each other. Scotty cried when Keith did this. It was a tender moment between the two of them that I witnessed. Money cannot buy happiness, but it can ease the pain when a good friend is in need and suffering.

I'm not sure I want to know any more about the IPT Reno tournament with the Dynamic Duo of Scotty and Keith, but it was nice reading this gambling story. :cool:

Keith has a ton of Scotty stories. I'll see if I can get him to post one in this thread later in the day.

Thanks Jen, that was a good read, love you guys, tell Keith I said hi. Life is short and we are losing a lot of good people just lost another one, stay healthy and strong, both of you.

Bill Incardona

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Take a good look when Scotty jumped off that bridge. He could have easily been killed or seriously injured. He was wearing his cowboy boots when he jumped and went in feet first. The boots helped him break the water and absorb the impact. He told me they both split right up the seam on both sides. The soles remained intact. Scotty not only had the biggest heart, he was triple smart with a dash of crazy. No one else ever like him in the pool world. :thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A photo shared on Facebook by Debra Mock, Scotty's childhood sweetheart. This may be the 2009 Harley Davidson he was riding when he had the accident.

A friend told me that Scotty saw Goodtime Charlie that morning and said Scotty said he was leaving to go see his girlfriend when the accident happened.

He sure was a handsome man.

That's one bad MF'er! :cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read mike house's pages last night. Good stuff.

Thanks for sharing it mike. Some wild shit goin on in our world!

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Take a good look when Scotty jumped off that bridge. He could have easily been killed or seriously injured. He was wearing his cowboy boots when he jumped and went in feet first. The boots helped him break the water and absorb the impact. He told me they both split right up the seam on both sides. The soles remained intact. Scotty not only had the biggest heart, he was triple smart with a dash of crazy. No one else ever like him in the pool world. :thumbup:

all that and an absolute gentleman to play

no sharking, racking games, etc

although the world lost him too young he'll remain with those that new him

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
I first met Scotty in the late eighties at Rusty's billiards in Arlington Texas that's where I learned to play. Well he came back through in 92 or 93 for a tournament or something that was going on me and a few of my buddies was playing the ring game. Scotty just sit and watch for a while. When the ring game was over Scotty was going to pull the old I'll roll the ball under the stick over the table, well it was a drop pocket 8 foot table so you had to roll the ball under the table somehow he knew I knew this trick. Scotty said I'll bet each one of yall 20 bucks I can roll this ball under the stick without it hitting it. I said how about I do it for 50 Scotty said bet, I just grabbed the ball out of his hand rolled it under the table it hit his pool case and rolled back out at my feet, Scotty just kind of winked smiled at me. All I could do was pay off the 50 and kind of laugh about it. He said come on I'll buy you a beer Kid.

In 2002 or 2003 I was running Sharky's in Alexandria Louisiana he comes in for one of our tournaments and orders a 14 or 21 which is a seven and seven or a double Seven and Seven. I overheard him talking to some people at the bar he said he just came in from Dothan Alabama. A little while later he was just sitting there and I asked him hey Scotty how long did it take you to get from Dothan, Scotty said well I don't measure driving in time it took me 18 beers I couldn't help but laugh.

One thing that always amazed me about Scotty he could remember anything I can't recall a time where he didn't remember someone's name. There was a card trick with a story that used about half the deck he could recite that thing and do that trick I don't know how he did that.

Scotty did the same card trick in Texarkana,Arkansas, he would pull cards out of the deck one at a time and tell a story about the card he just pulled, it was wonderful to hear him tell of each cards adventure/relating leading up to the last remaining card, he also told a joke/story with a pack of non-filtered camel cig's using the back of the pack to explain the story, it was kind of a short joke but very interesting about the camels and a motel.

David Harcrow

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad to hear the news of Scotty's passing:(

I had the pleasure of hearing the bridge story right out of
Scotty's mouth, with that cool accent. There's no way that
reading it could even compare, but reading it would be
great, too. I'll spare most of the details that I remember, but
throw in a few. There were 6 or 8 of us hanging around
outside of a tournament drinking beer and moonshine. Each
one of us was feeling good and Scotty's stories had everyone
enthralled. When he got to the part where he was about to
jump, he said to the guys he bet with, "When I jump, you just
go ahead and hand her the money. Because the bet was if
I'd jump or not, not whether I'll live through it".

That was the only night and weekend I ever had the pleasure
of meeting, hearing, and getting to know Scotty. I can truly say
that he left a lasting impression on me and was a one of a kind,
pool world or no pool world.

Rest in peace, Scotty, you'll most certainly be missed:(

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Very sad to hear the news of Scotty's passing:(

I had the pleasure of hearing the bridge story right out of
Scotty's mouth, with that cool accent. There's no way that
reading it could even compare, but reading it would be
great, too. I'll spare most of the details that I remember, but
throw in a few. There were 6 or 8 of us hanging around
outside of a tournament drinking beer and moonshine. Each
one of us was feeling good and Scotty's stories had everyone
enthralled. When he got to the part where he was about to
jump, he said to the guys he bet with, "When I jump, you just
go ahead and hand her the money. Because the bet was if
I'd jump or not, not whether I'll live through it".

That was the only night and weekend I ever had the pleasure
of meeting, hearing, and getting to know Scotty. I can truly say
that he left a lasting impression on me and was a one of a kind,
pool world or no pool world.

Rest in peace, Scotty, you'll most certainly be missed:(

I believe he would have tackled hell with a bucket of water.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BmoreMoney...Wanna bet you blow drunk after drinking a case of beer? The law doesn't care how your body metabolizes alcohol.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PS: a beer should NEVER last anyone a half hour - it will get hot and taste like piss so DRINK UP BOYZ!!! Also keep in mind on average 12ozs metabolize out of your system every hour so drinking 24 in 12 hours is in reality 12 in you in 12 hours, not that much imho.

atlslim

Registered
im not sure scotty knew what the word fear meant what amazed me most was the fact that he not only drank 31 beers but he played mark tadd and almost beat him and you couldnt tell he had drank a single beer. mark was almost unbeatable at that time. i love hearing these scotty stories keep them coming

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I remember a story from the novel Running the Table. Kid Delicious was standing there talking to him outside when all of a sudden they heard a commotion coming from one of the dumpster.

Delicious said he was talking to me and we heard this sound and Scotty stopped mid sentence... Ran and dove into the dumpster!! After a solid 30 seconds of rustling and noise Scotty emerges from the dumpster with a raccoon help up by its scruff and Townends yells...

"I got the Son B***H!!"

LOL

I dont remember the exact wording but it went down just like that :lol: