Senimg Chen Won Her WPBA Qualifier

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In 2010, S. Chang, comes to the US and is qualifed at the Hardtimes against short stops and went on to take 2nd to Gerda in San Diego.

Different player, pretty sure this is Si Ming's first trip to the USA. I'd like to see her play in U.S. Open Ten Ball and in Tunica. She would open a few eyes if she did. There is no man walking that she is not capable of beating in any given match. And there are several others her speed or close in China.

I wait for the day when we have a major tournament with 64 players, 32 men and 32 women, all playing even Ten Ball. Worldwide there are 32 women players who can compete on equal terms right now. Maybe I will have to produce this one. lol

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Yeah but before an aspiring pro makes it, shouldn't she need to beat someone of stature to get there? She doesn't just get it gifted to her. If she can't beat a strong player in the qualifier, than she'll have no shot beating several strong players in a major down the road.

Conversely, if a known pro dogs it in the qualifier, maybe they don't deserve a pass.

Seems to me merit is the ideal way to handle it. If there's only room for one or the other, then let the best woman win.

To me the qualifying system is for aspiring pros. The way it works now is that in any of these events where there is a spot up for grabs the highest finishing non-WPBA qualified player gets it.

To me this is designed to be the farm system to insure that players have a path to the WPBA. And it's a good one. Forget about the lack of WBPA events at the moment. Where this breaks down in my opinion is when you have foreign players who are already established professionals in the World Pool Association's ranking list as well as in other tours and national/international events.

To me when a player of this caliber is forced to go through qualifying then it's pretty much a lock that they will snap up all the spots available and this forces out the aspiring pros who are trying to win those spots.

I feel that the WPBA should hold out some spots for foreign players who are proven pros OR they should arrange to have qualifiers in the foreign countries so that those players can battle it out over there for the available spots.

Making them come over here to play in smaller events where they are almost guaranteed the spot is a waste of resources and disrespectful to their established status imo.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different player, pretty sure this is Si Ming's first trip to the USA. I'd like to see her play in U.S. Open Ten Ball and in Tunica. She would open a few eyes if she did. There is no man walking that she is not capable of beating in any given match. And there are several others her speed or close in China.

I wait for the day when we have a major tournament with 64 players, 32 men and 32 women, all playing even Ten Ball. Worldwide there are 32 women players who can compete on equal terms right now. Maybe I will have to produce this one. lol

Jay,
When I saw this thread, I thought about what you said about Si Ming in my post below (#2). The tread got off track and I wanted to say that Chang also had to qualify...at the Hardtimes.

Yesterday, 07:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is she the one that Jay Helfert is high on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dumluk

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay,
You should for back in the day/s in LA with hundreds in the stands over several days.:thumbup: Now, I only go as far as Vegas and the paid sweaters are few at the pro events...even at the Mosconi Cup.:frown:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not know if her trip is subsidized or not. I assume that she has sponsors who are paying her way. As to what money there is or isn't there must be a reason why Chen wants to play in whatever WPBA events there are to play in. Could be she wants the titles because then those titles could be worth more back in China. You would have to ask her.

Or she might have just wanted to travel to America.

That would be like Chang in 2010.:wink:

PoolJunkie216

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chang having to qualify back then at the RTC's was a joke as she was 1-9 in that field & made easy work of it. She should not have had to qualify but the idiotic system in place took away from someone else. I completely agree with JB on this.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chang having to qualify back then at the RTC's was a joke as she was 1-9 in that field & made easy work of it. She should not have had to qualify but the idiotic system in place took away from someone else. I completely agree with JB on this.

I too agree with JB but at least many saw her play in LA. Add to that...she hasn't returned.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I guess looking at it another way... they're basically battling for having the the entry fee paid for a future event (or multiple events).

In many tournaments, a pro pays more than joe public because the pro has a better chance of cashing and earning back their fee. Or you can look at it as discounting the normal price for average players who wouldn't risk a lot of money on a low percentage shot at winning.

So, it would make sense if an amateur can get a free roll (via a qualifier) at some major, while the pro is simply required to pay the full fee.

I can also see the logic behind "the pro has proven herself and gets invited back for free, especially since they draw paying fans to watch"...sort of like how the US Open doesn't charge entry for past winners.

What makes less sense is if the pro and 'aspiring pro' are treated identically, regardless of playing ability. They are not equals. One of them worked harder to get where they are today.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually ALL players wanting to play on the WPBA now have to qualify through the regional tour system. But I have said it in the past that there ought to be an exception for professional class players who have achieved high rankings already.

Sorry it's very stupid in my eyes to make a world champion qualify for a pro tour spot in my opinion. Not only that but Si Ming also takes away a spot that an aspiring amateur could have claimed.

Would they have had to beat Corr instead?