Serious question?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
False. I played college baseball and our field dimensions were the same as MLB dimensions. Fields have different outfield wall dimensions but the base paths and pitching distance is the same from high school up to MLB.
True, just the outfield is different.

But basketball ball would have been a better example of uniformity.

Throughout gyms, parks, and driveways around the world, basketball hoops are almost always 10 feet (3 meters) off the ground. Some leagues for young children play on shorter hoops, but from junior high schools through the professional leagues, the game is played on hoops of the standard 10-foot height.

Even though players today are much taller, they haven't raised the rims to 12' like it was in the past.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!

I bet the CEO of Brunswick is not even a B pool player. Fire them.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!
Whoever’s putting up the prize money ?
At the moment, Matchroom has it all going and they seem to be doing a really good job
Fan and players enjoy playing or watching the event and its gonna boost the popularity of the game and hopefully attract new players and sponsors on board

By the way, what happen to your Grand Glue Tour which was supposed to save the game of pool ?
Is it happening anytime soon since its been years in the making if memory serve me right

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Whoever’s putting up the prize money ?
At the moment, Matchroom has it all going and they seem to be doing a really good job
Fan and players enjoy playing or watching the event and its gonna boost the popularity of the game and hopefully attract new players and sponsors on board

By the way, what happen to your Grand Glue Tour which was supposed to save the game of pool ?
Is it happening anytime soon since its been years in the making if memory serve me right
You might get a surprise soon enough😉

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I bet the CEO of Brunswick is not even a B pool player. Fire them.
Did you even know about this?

Who owns Brunswick Billiards?

Escalade, Inc.

21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Escalade, Inc. (NASDAQ: ESCA), a leader in sporting goods and indoor/outdoor recreation equipment, today announced that it has completed its acquisition of the assets of the Brunswick Billiards® business from Life Fitness, LLC, a portfolio company of KPS Capital Partners, LP.Jan 21, 2022

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Escalade, Inc.

21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Escalade, Inc. (NASDAQ: ESCA), a leader in sporting goods and indoor/outdoor recreation equipment, today announced that it has completed its acquisition of the assets of the Brunswick Billiards® business from Life Fitness, LLC, a portfolio company of KPS Capital Partners, LP.Jan 21, 2022
As the ambassador of overkill engineering to justify overcharging maybe it’s time for you to revolutionize the game again.

Start making tables with pockets so tight not even one ball will fit. Then everyone will have to figure out how to make the balls bounce in.

Save our sport please.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last years US Open 9 ball event didn't have the 256 players they were expecting. This years event coming up will have 4' corner pockets, wonder if the entries will be even less than last year, if so, the players will have started speaking out, and not in a good way for this sport, just wait and see.
Entries at the 2022 US Open 9-Ball event (Oct. 2022) did number 256, and they sold out in about 1 day. Out of the 479 scheduled matches, 4 were not played because two players withdrew or forfeited. The corner pockets were 4¼".

It will be interesting to see whether they go to 4" this year for the US Open and whether that affects the number of entries. Matchroom has used 4" pockets a few times on small-field or invitational events (such as the Mosconi Cups and World Pool Masters in 2021 and 2022), but they still used 4¼" on two of their recent events -- the World Pool Championship (9-Ball) last month and the Premier League Pool event this month.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Entries at the 2022 US Open 9-Ball event (Oct. 2022) did number 256, and they sold out in about 1 day. Out of the 479 scheduled matches, 4 were not played because two players withdrew or forfeited. The corner pockets were 4¼".

It will be interesting to see whether they go to 4" this year for the US Open and whether that affects the number of entries. Matchroom has used 4" pockets a few times on small-field or invitational events (such as the Mosconi Cups and World Pool Masters in 2021 and 2022), but they still used 4¼" on two of their recent events -- the World Pool Championship (9-Ball) last month and the Premier League Pool event this month.
IMO 4.25" pockets with new cloth is too forgiving for world class players.

telinoz

Registered
Having pro spec pockets to make it harder for the top players to clear up is fine.
They still run racks, when an average player would struggle.
It makes the audience watching it appreciate it more.

Snooker has professional pocket templates.
All professional ranking events use the same pockets.
Any records set, are official.
Nice and simple.
An average player struggles to make a 20 or 30 break on a professional table.
At their club, they might manage a 50 with buckets for pockets.

To answer the original question, I don't think it is weak players deciding anything.
The professionals have a say, the associations and promoters seem to understand my point that a table needs to be a challenge to play on.
Otherwise, people watching it are not impressed...viewership drops.
They seem to get that.

All that is required now, is for pool to settle on ONE STANDARD FOR PROFESSIONAL PLAY.
ONE.
That means pocket specs the same, cloth speed, cushion type.
Decide on heated or not heated.
Basically to make this work, follow Snooker....

Matchroom and WPBSA already did this. Separate governance and commercial.
I suspect they will do the same for pool.

Guy Manges

Registered

Earl has been telling us that for a long time... Guy

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
The baseball fan in me mourns your post. If you are going to use another sport as an analogy, please get it right. 120' base paths? Really? A full size baseball diamond played on by high school teams all the way up to the Majors is: Pitching Rubber to Home Plate: 60' 6", base paths are 90'. Little League plays 6 inning games, high school 7 and college/pro plays 9.
ummmm,... get out your tape measure. The Baseball field I played in HS was 90 ft. That was standard in the H. Schools we played, It is also standard softball field size. I didn't play in college or minors ,so it may be 120 as in MLB. I was going to bring up in a later post the outfield distances are all different too, why no standard there?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point of my last statement is that without some distance in the races, no player today can truly show their dominance over this sport, and their greatness as a dominant player.
From 1994 through 2015 Efren certainly had little trouble doing everything you ask.

Without much standardization of the cloth, pockets, rails, balls, ...

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe it’s because baseball is over
100 years old and teams had little money
to organize and fields were built in many
different types of neighborhoods

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ummmm,... get out your tape measure. The Baseball field I played in HS was 90 ft. That was standard in the H. Schools we played, It is also standard softball field size. I didn't play in college or minors ,so it may be 120 as in MLB. I was going to bring up in a later post the outfield distances are all different too, why no standard there?

It is 90’ in High School. Base paths are also 90’ in College Baseball, Minor League and Major League (not 120’)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me you don’t know anything about baseball without telling me you don’t know anything about baseball.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
when the pockets reach too tight for a less than very top player to run a rack. then they soon realize the disadvange they have against a better player who can. so the entries will drop by attrition. and when they drop out it isnt easy to recover them by changing back.

look at all the excitement, fdu beat perdue caused, . its when an underdog gets to win once in awhile that interest is created in things.
not when the same old winners take away all the money. as there is no future for an up and comer to get ahead.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Escalade, Inc.

They also own Bear Archery, not sure if Fred would be happy