Setting A High Run Goal

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congratulations! For a new goal, try to match George Rood: 90 at 90. (I played and talked yesterday to "Sparky" who helped George get to tournaments when he wasn't so spry.)

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations! For a new goal, try to match George Rood: 90 at 90. (I played and talked yesterday to "Sparky" who helped George get to tournaments when he wasn't so spry.)

Thanks Bob, Funny you should mention George Rood he was the reason I wanted to run my age, he was accepting an award from the 1 pocket hall of fame at the old Executive West and they asked him when was the last time he ran his age in straight pool and he said either 89 or 90 something like that I was amazed being an < 20 ball runner at the time. He was an amazing player and I am glad I got the chance to have a few words with him that night.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Congratulations to Elvicash

Well I finally ran my age+ today. I ran a 49 no video, I thought I was just going to hit a few balls. Setup a break shot and just kept on going. Eventually I scratched on a combo in the rack area fixing my last clusters I was trying to draw up table to the end rail and did not quite snap it enough to go straight up table. Yet again trying to stroke rather than think but i am learning.

I got a new tip this week and my cue felt good. I will be turning on the camera now on so Dennis you still have the lead I have nothing over 20 something on video but i feel good that I finally got through the third rack into the 4th rack my break shot was pretty thin.

You did it!!!!:grin:

Congratulations!:thumbup:

I know how long you have been trying to run your age, though in fairness to you, I know you do not get that many opportunities to try it. You finally got that monkey off your back.

Now it is time to set another goal. You were knocking at the door, so you know what that number is, right?:cool:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well I finally ran my age+ today. I ran a 49 no video, I thought I was just going to hit a few balls. Setup a break shot and just kept on going. Eventually I scratched on a combo in the rack area fixing my last clusters I was trying to draw up table to the end rail and did not quite snap it enough to go straight up table. Yet again trying to stroke rather than think but i am learning.

I got a new tip this week and my cue felt good. I will be turning on the camera now on so Dennis you still have the lead I have nothing over 20 something on video but i feel good that I finally got through the third rack into the 4th rack my break shot was pretty thin.

Bravo! Way to go. Your next goal should be to run MY age, which would be 55. I know you can do it.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Congrats buddy!
and believe me: it s not a crime to play a higher run :p
You ll make this for sure- i m very sure about it.
take care and have a smooth stroke my friend!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I just meant to say that's great Dana managed to complete the mission of running his age that soon, because... see above :D

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just meant to say that's great Dana managed to complete the mission of running his age that soon, because... see above :D

It only took 6 yrs so yeah so I knew had to get on with it before the number got much larger.

Seriously though I am starting to close out racks and transiiton to the next much better so I think my numbers will start to grow if I can ever get back home to play some I am on the road working long hours right now.

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats elvicash. I'm sure soon we will see your posting up a century and we will get to hear your running 100 and outs.
Keep up the great work.
Cheers.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winding down my project for the week so I will be home all weekend. Video will be on.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been following this thread since joining this site

CONGRATS!

Thank I need to play more and video more. I been redoing my basement and my table was covered for a while I been hitting balls the last couple of days so I got half my mess cleaned up. Hoping for some numbers worth sharing.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
elvicash,

I just came across this thread and I really enjoyed it.

It put a smile on my face when I read that you exceeded your goal. How cool is that?

It didn't put a smile on my face when you beat me twice (singles & team) at Indy this past year. How uncool is that?

Thanks for the nice thread.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
elvicash,

I just came across this thread and I really enjoyed it.

It put a smile on my face when I read that you exceeded your goal. How cool is that?

It didn't put a smile on my face when you beat me twice (singles & team) at Indy this past year. How uncool is that?

Thanks for the nice thread.

Thanks for the nice feedback. I am getting ready to start on my upgrading my entire pool system using "Play Great Pool" by Mark Wilson as a text book. I hope to be playing much better next time we play as I am sure you are working on your game.

Play well.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Benn playing a little lately. I ran a 28, keyball angle was tough and I made the KB but was out of line for the break ball. First 28 in a while. I hope to be playing some over thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving AZ

Raggedy Andy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running your age

How goes your high run pursuit? Sometimes besting your personal best is a psychological battle being waged between your ears. I know it has been for me. I use practice and have a goal of running a certain amount of balls.....putting pressure on myself to do so. Well.......a player thinking about this goal loses sight of the moment. Milestones in straight pool come incrementally, when you least expect it. You will play your best straight pool when you are relaxed, mentally unfettered and.......breathing. No pressure. The first time I ever ran 100, I was not trying to do so. I didn't even realize it until I missed (no shot after a break ball). :thumbup:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a 49 a while back so i finally ran my age. Now I am trying to get a 50+ enroute to 100. I have been working on my game using a book that was recently released. "Play Great Pool" by Mark Wilson and Don Wardell and my runs are better and i think they will be getting higher time will tell

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Ran a 35 tonight.

Good Work, Dana. Keep popping in 30s and it will become commonplace and comfortable and then you will slip into the land of 50s.

I have been working on my game using a book that was recently released. "Play Great Pool" by Mark Wilson and Don Wardell.

I'm doing the same thing myself. Working on my setup and stroke practice. As you know, I need it much worse than you do.

My numbers have been down lately but my stroke is slowly straightening out. We shall see.