Shane Van Boening

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren cared a lot….he showed up to a tournament with three butts and seven shafts….he kept trying out different combos till he settled on a pair. He was given a 314 once…he hit one shot and gave it back…he said “I don’t like where the cue ball goes.”
OK, point taken. How about Rafael Martinez? I always heard his shafts were pretty beat up.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, point taken. How about Rafael Martinez? I always heard his shafts were pretty beat up.

the butt maybe. when he was in town yrs back he had an old mali butt with 314 shafts. i hit a couple with it and don't remember the shafts being in bad shape. butt had dents/dings.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Equipment choices are a matter of personal preferences, but in deciding which equipment merits consideration, it's perfectly normal to sample equipment with which others have succeeded. You may or may not like it once you try it.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I have to laugh at some of the comments here. Let's put it another way. If you start playing with a cantered wrist, a chicken wing elbow and a sidestroke, you may become an AWESOME player. Will you become your best? NO!!!!!

Why do we know this? Because almost all players who have developed strokes like that became mediocre at best, while the vast majority of the BEST players have developed using the same formula.

So it may be a better question to ask, what are the majority of the best players playing with? But even that isn't a true representation, because what did they grow up playing with, what was available when they learned how to play, are they being paid/sponsored to play with something, etc.

Knowing what works best for the/a top player/s (when they have the choice, i.e. outside of their sponsorships) is a great way to determine what you might be better off using and new technology will come out that CAN help your game.

To dismiss that as indian/arrow is nothing more than another form of appeal to authority fallacy, i.e. you want an excuse for any plateaus YOU have so it must be the indian.

Newsflash, it IS the indian, but the BEST indian in the world trained by Robin Hood isn't going to have as good a chance taking down a buffalo with a crooked stick with no fletches and a stone tip as with a carbon fiber shafted, nylon fletched, titanium broadheaded arrow.

So REALLY, indian/arrow, is a HORRIBLE illustration. if you're point is that the best people at something can play their best with anything.

Jaden

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to laugh at some of the comments here. Let's put it another way. If you start playing with a cantered wrist, a chicken wing elbow and a sidestroke, you may become an AWESOME player. Will you become your best? NO!!!!!

Why do we know this? Because almost all players who have developed strokes like that became mediocre at best, while the vast majority of the BEST players have developed using the same formula.

So it may be a better question to ask, what are the majority of the best players playing with? But even that isn't a true representation, because what did they grow up playing with, what was available when they learned how to play, are they being paid/sponsored to play with something, etc.

Knowing what works best for the/a top player/s (when they have the choice, i.e. outside of their sponsorships) is a great way to determine what you might be better off using and new technology will come out that CAN help your game.

To dismiss that as indian/arrow is nothing more than another form of appeal to authority fallacy, i.e. you want an excuse for any plateaus YOU have so it must be the indian.

Newsflash, it IS the indian, but the BEST indian in the world trained by Robin Hood isn't going to have as good a chance taking down a buffalo with a crooked stick with no fletches and a stone tip as with a carbon fiber shafted, nylon fletched, titanium broadheaded arrow.

So REALLY, indian/arrow, is a HORRIBLE illustration. if you're point is that the best people at something can play their best with anything.

Jaden
"It's the Indian, not the Arrow" "He could beat anyone with a Broomstick"....... LMAO !!!!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
"It's the Indian, not the Arrow" "He could beat anyone with a Broomstick"....... LMAO !!!!
Exactly, is tiger going to beat Phil mikelson playing with a set of turn of the century clubs? Is he going to beat even a slightly better than scratch golfer easily? Is a lot of the stuff just marketing, absolutely, but technology DOES make a difference. To pretend it doesn't is foolhardy at best.

Jaden

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Not necessarily, but if that someone has a chance to borrow a friends smaller diameter cue s/he should. This would happen even if the friend said he played it.

Sometimes you are playing a cue solely because it is what you have. Change is not always bad. If you feel you might play better with something different, you tube is as good a place as any to start. Seeing SVB play with s stick that a league player has can start the process.
And Shane will never play with the hundreds of cues available because he gets PAID to play with what he uses

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend went to the Red's event in '85. He got a good look at at ER's cue and wasn't too impressed. My point was that he could have used a warped house cue and still been great.
Yeah, just look at the accu stats book from that event, he is on the cover. Most of his early ones, would have been a conversion of some sort.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
A friend went to the Red's event in '85. He got a good look at at ER's cue and wasn't too impressed. My point was that he could have used a warped house cue and still been great.
But that's not the question is it? How much greater could he have been with better technology and more readily available information?

The question is never how great one can become with inferior tech. The question is will SUPERIOR tech do 2 things, make achieving YOUR best level of greatness easier and can it increase what level of greatness you can eventually obtain.

Jaden

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not going to discuss cues with you anymore…..but I’ll tell you one golf story. Lee Trevino’s friend got him to try his putter…
…Lee liked it so he went to the pro shop and bought one. When he got back to his motel, he raised the putter over his head and slammed the heel into the carpet…changed the angle slightly….and started winning….that putter put him in the HOF.
What motel or what kind of carpet was that?
My friend needs to tweak his putter.
Just like his pool game, he gets the ball close
to the hole but rarely sinks it.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious why people are interested in this info. It's the Indian, not the arrow.
dumbest saying ever … like the Indian didn’t care how straight the arrow was or the quality of it.

I also never understood why anyone cares exactly what any Pro plays with. Your not them and certainly not a pro. What plays good to them might not to you. If it feels good play with it.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren beat everybody with a pos $20 cue when he first came over. My local spot is full of league bangers using $1000+ cues that couldn't play dead in a western. Equipment in this game is so over-rated.
Are you You him? Were you born with the god given talent he was? Of course not. lol equipment certainly matters. especially for amateurs.
Because of a$$holes like you I golf a lot more now. No one bitches and complains in golf like they do in pool but to make a comparison the pro’s play with blades but the majority of the rest of our high handy cap ass’s better keep using cavity backs lol We lack the natural ability or skill they have. lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you You him? Were you born with the god given talent he was? Of course not. lol equipment certainly matters. especially for amateurs.
Because of a$$holes like you I golf a lot more now. No one bitches and complains in golf like they do in pool but to make a comparison the pro’s play with blades but the majority of the rest of our high handy cap ass’s better keep using cavity backs lol We lack the natural ability or skill they have. lol
nearly impossible to compare golf to pool in terms of equipment but people keep doing it. the differnces in hi-dollar new tech pool cues to a cheap plainjane is tiny in terms of how it plays. huge difference in golf clubs. clubs designed for low h'dcap/pros are virtually unplayable for weekend hacks. if equipment was such a big factor in pool why do all the bangers i see with state-of-the-art shit still suck? good players have the stroke and skill to play. cue means very little.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dumbest saying ever … like the Indian didn’t care how straight the arrow was or the quality of it.

I also never understood why anyone cares exactly what any Pro plays with. Your not them and certainly not a pro. What plays good to them might not to you. If it feels good play with it.
That was my point...