Shaw 714 DVD

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Entertainment and instructional value aside, I think it would be interesting to hear Jayson's commentary to get a glimpse of what he was thinking in the moment. One of the best instructional opportunities I had was a 14.1 group lesson with John Schmidt. After the instruction was over he went on a run and ran 100 on 4" pockets while thinking out loud, telling us his every move and why he was doing what he was doing. I think it's neat to have a glimpse inside a master's thought process.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Entertainment and instructional value aside, I think it would be interesting to hear Jayson's commentary to get a glimpse of what he was thinking in the moment. One of the best instructional opportunities I had was a 14.1 group lesson with John Schmidt. After the instruction was over he went on a run and ran 100 on 4" pockets while thinking out loud, telling us his every move and why he was doing what he was doing. I think it's neat to have a glimpse inside a master's thought process.
I got to play golf with a tour-level player once and he basically played 'call shot' golf. Described in detail what he was thinking/seeing and what shot was required. I was dumfounded to be honest. Great pool and golf players are REALLY good at 'painting pictures' of what they want to happen before executing.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to play golf with a tour-level player once and he basically played 'call shot' golf. Described in detail what he was thinking/seeing and what shot was required. I was dumfounded to be honest. Great pool and golf players are REALLY good at 'painting pictures' of what they want to happen before executing.
Professionals of any game that has lapses of time for you to think (Pool, Golf, Tennis, Baseball, etc.) are masters at visualization. It is such a powerful tool and very difficult to master.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Have you watched competitive straight pool recently? I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but this is what straight pool has become. Most pool players don't play straight pool much, so it's 9-ball-straightpool for the lot of them. Piss poor patterns, strange breakshots, but unbelievable shotmaking and cueball control at times. All out offense is the norm. Frequently it looks like complete garbage, until you realize they haven't missed at all... It all really started with Oliver Ortman. He was the one who really pioneered this style of play and after his time, others have taken over. If anything, Shaws highest run was technically better than many "competitive runs", simply because he had to be. In order to run that many balls, you have to play the percentages better than most people play these days. Anyone can run 150 and out now, so people do anything to stay on the table. They run the balls off the table more or less at random until there are 3-4 left, then they improvise something. Most of the time, this actually works, so high has the skill level become. Even Earl, as strange as his patterns were in his high run attempts, at least had a consistent key ball and seemingly a sort of strategy for how he wanted to play. Even that is rare these days. It's mostly random as f.
No, I rarely watch straight pool, its probably something I should become more familiar with. Even with his patterns being the current trend for 14.1 I would still think he had a different mindset than if it was tournament play. Thanks for the insight.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite true. But running 51 racks without a miss may mean that different planet is in a different solar system! ;)
Yes. A great achievement. I am happy I saw so much of Jason's runs. Even the GF came in and watched a while off and on. She doesn't know much about pool but she was transfixed by how well and fast he was shooting. Then Bonus: I wanna play pool..can we go soon? and later...if you are sure we are staying in this house you should have a pool table here...it is part of your life and past... We can make a high top table area here.... move those chairs there..then....move the TV and turn one of the other bed rooms into a "den." :love:

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite true. But running 51 racks without a miss may mean that different planet is in a different solar system! ;)
And breaking the balls out 51 times without ever experiencing that ‘straggler’ (that inevitably rolls up to freeze on/hide MY cueball), is in a whole other galaxy!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And breaking the balls out 51 times without ever experiencing that ‘straggler’ (that inevitably rolls up to freeze on/hide MY cueball), is in a whole other galaxy!
Yes, it's hard to believe that it would be possible to hit 51 break shots in a row without missing, fouling (in any of many possible ways), or having no shot.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd not dropped by here recently, but nice to see the conversation continuing...One may even say it's moved on from discussion topics that have been drilled into the ground with MANY pages of discussion.

I feel fortunate to have had the time to watch much of his runs. Also fortunate to have watched the end of the high run. Impressive shooting. Also impressive desire\focus. I hope Jayson is able to sell all the DVDs at that price. Personally, not a chance I'm paying that kind of money for a DVD. (Even if I had a DVD player)

With regard to the event, I hope others get a chance to break this record. I hope a few of them are players known for a decent background in straight pool. I also hope John Schmidt is one of them. It sure looks like there is bad blood between JS and the organizer of this event. That would bury that hatchet in my opinion and give JS the shot to break it. Not sure if he would or would not, but would be fun to see him try! I also hope the details\specs of the next table are accurately measured and communicated in the hopes that future runs can replicate those conditions in an effort to have a level playing field. (And minimize Glen's time on this board so he can make money at the day job!) :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I will not be buying the 14/1 Record DVD, but many will.

Each of us have things we blow money on, me it a great handmade Cigars.♥️

kanzzo

hobby player
There are only a limited number available and my money is on Shaw selling out.
I'd guess he will sell around 40 packages for this price. Anything over 100 I'll consider a miracle and selling out 714 - not in 100 years.

The run was recorded in HD, getting a DVD in low resolution would be a big drawback for me.

I would guess Jayson would make the most profit pricing it around 50$. And a digital HD version would make for a much easier distribution. I wouldn't care either for the autograph or a peace of cloth...

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'd guess he will sell around 40 packages for this price. Anything over 100 I'll consider a miracle and selling out 714 - not in 100 years.

The run was recorded in HD, getting a DVD in low resolution would be a big drawback for me.

I would guess Jayson would make the most profit pricing it around 50$. And a digital HD version would make for a much easier distribution. I wouldn't care either for the autograph or a peace of cloth...
Sounds about right.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk