Shootout at Bank Shots...Illinois last night

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I heard there was a shootout at Bank Shots, and I'm talking guns and stuff. A bullet went through Ike Runnels case and shaft..
What have you heard?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Ike is okay. He seemed to be nice guy when i played some one pocket vs him on New York :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ike might just be the best 65 and over player in America. He's super tough at banks and one pocket and still plays nine ball quite capably. Nice guy, too. I always enjoy catching up with him at Derby City every January. Hope he's doing OK after this scare.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just another day in the Chicago burbs.
Not sure I agree. I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago for many years and saw little or no shootings. Most of it was all in the city. South and West sides were the worst. Most is over gang turf, drugs and money. That will never stop it has become generational at this point. Like Iraq in a way.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Not sure I agree. I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago for many years and saw little or no shootings. Most of it was all in the city. South and West sides were the worst. Most is over gang turf, drugs and money. That will never stop it has become generational at this point. Like Iraq in a way.

Eliot Ness lives.

Jeff Livingston

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Kenosha always used to be safe too. But now gangs from northern Illinois have made it their territory so there are shootings all of the time now.

If there are shootings in general, it's not hard to believe that pool rooms would get there fair share of them.

_______

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kenosha always used to be safe too. But now gangs from northern Illinois have made it their territory so there are shootings all of the time now.

If there are shootings in general, it's not hard to believe that pool rooms would get there fair share of them.

_______
I played for a couple years in Grays Lake at Shooters. Great place the league operator was kind of an ass. Nothing new with that unfortunately. Too bad about Kenosha.. Once the gangs get in it is never the same... Damned FIP's...

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ike might just be the best 65 and over player in America. He's super tough at banks and one pocket and still plays nine ball quite capably. Nice guy, too. I always enjoy catching up with him at Derby City every January. Hope he's doing OK after this scare.
I’ve played Ike several times. He’s a great guy to play and enjoyed a late 3am dinner with him after one of our 1P action showdowns. I also hope he’s fine.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I recall walking into Red Shoes poolroom in Chicago one night in June 2014. I was on vacation and my friend and I dropped by to hit a few balls.

To my absolute amazement, on the action table, there was a money match in one pocket featuring Ike Runnels and Alex Lely. I had met and shot pool with Alex about fifteen years earlier in New York and I counted him as a friend, even though we didn't run into each other very often. After all, he lived in the Netherlands and I lived in New York.

Alex was pretty shocked to see me and I was pretty shocked to see him. Why on earth was he in Chicago, I wondered? When he and I got around to talking, I found out. After explaining why I was in Chicago, Alex shared that he had flown into Chicago to get some instruction from Freddie the Beard (AKA Freddie Bentivegna), but, if memory serves, Freddie died the day Alex arrived. Rather than returning home immediately, Alex chose to spend the next few days gambling with Ike Runnels.

The game was very close, but during the one session I watched, Ike got the better of Alex. Yup, Ike can mix it up with just about anybody.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Baghdad is safer than the south side of Chiraq.
One of the South Side's other sides...

chgo.jpg

Last edited:

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Patrick, That's the way most places used to be. And true, the majority of the people everywhere are OK. I sort of got that impression of Chicago

when I was there for the MOT at Chris's. First 2 or 3 times Warren and I tried to get to the pool room, I would be winding through the clean

and neat neighborhoods. I liked Chicago - maybe I was not in the seedier parts of town. BUT, there are those places, too, in all cities.(y)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately this is the world we live in today. More shootings EVERYWHERE! It seems like there is at least two or three fatal ones per day in Los Angeles (often with multiple victims), including in neighborhoods like Redondo Beach and Beverly Hills where stuff like that rarely, if ever, happened before. Police shootings (usually fatal ones) are also a daily occurence now. I see this as a residual effect from the Pandemic. Desperation and opportunity are a fertile mix for gangsters to seek out their victims. Nowadays they go where the money is, and if it's on someones wrist or around their neck they will go for that too. It can happen in broad daylight on a busy street or a crowded plaza, also relatively unheard of in prior years (pre 2020). It's the Wild West all over again, except worse!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Jay, you just described why I'll never buy an expensive watch. They're mugger bait. And muggers can't tell the difference between a fake and real. Another posting board I go to...guy described wearing a fake Rolex while touring Asia. The local he knew took one glance, told him to take it off. When he explained it was a fake, the local replied: "You don't understand. They won't just take the watch. They'll take your arm."