Shot of the night, followed by missing a hanger?

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
I bet you've all done it, played an unbelievably good, one in a million shot, then for some inexplicable reason, you miss the next shot which was really basic/straight forward.

My question... Why does this always seem to happen? What is the reason for it?

I want to know so I don't do it again.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bet you've all done it, played an unbelievably good, one in a million shot, then for some inexplicable reason, you miss the next shot which was really basic/straight forward.

you are so busy patting yourself on the back for your great shot
you dont concentrate and give the next shot the respect it deserves

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
you are so busy patting yourself on the back for your great shot
you dont concentrate and give the next shot the respect it deserves
This is exactly right. The great shot has distracted your focus, and when you don't yet have all of your focus back on the task at hand, which is your upcoming shot, then you are significantly more likely to miss it.

The best thing to do is to take some extra time to make sure you have let the great shot go and totally forget about it and put it out of your mind for now and get your focus fully back on your next shot. It is essentially the same process you would/should do if you just made a bad shot, you have to let it go and fully get it out of your mind for now so you can put all of your attention and focus back on the next shot.

VVP

Registered
You always have to stay in the present and forget about the past or think about the future. Also, if you said to yourself "wow great shot DON'T miss this easy one" you are almost guaranteed to miss. The brain doesn't understand DON'T it actually makes you do the opposite.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

Controlled relaxed breathing is a real thing, some do it natural, some have to learn it, I recommend it.
After a big moment on the pool table back up, re-group, walk around the table and chalk up, breathe softly and let your oxygen relax, survey your next shot and fire away.

Search breathing and calming techniques, there are many, find one that works best for you.
I'm so calm I think I'm dead.

Here are a few to get the idea.
How do you relax to breathe deeply?
First, take a normal breath. Then try a deep breath: Breathe in slowly through your nose, allowing your chest and lower belly to rise as you fill your lungs. Let your abdomen expand fully. Now breathe out slowly through your mouth (or your nose, if that feels more natural).

1. Let your breath flow as deep down into your belly as is comfortable, without forcing it.
  2. Try breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth.
  3. Breathe in gently and regularly. ...
  4. Then let it flow out gently, counting from 1 to 5 again, if you find this helpful.
If you use this one you may be snoring between shots
The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as “relaxing breath,” involves breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds. This breathing pattern aims to reduce anxiety or help people get to sleep. Some proponents claim that the method helps people get to sleep in 1 minute.Feb 12, 2019

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

yep... I make a good shot and now in position to run out with a fairly simply pattern.... Reason? There are no easy shots. Got too confident from the great shot that got me in position... or God hates me. Or pool hates me.... I should have stayed in school.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It breaks your focus. Need to reset. Same when you miss your "ideal" position.
Adrenaline can spike, let that pass.
I still do it all the time

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like most folks, I have done this both ways. One correct, the other, well you know what that is.

Done correctly after you make a spectacular shot, then have several other balls to pocket I stick with this routine.

I never make eye contact with anyone. Not team mates, the opponent, nor spectators, no one means no one. The reason for this is if you look at anyone you end up distracted from the job at hand. Which is to win the game in front of you. If you make eye contact with anyone it can affect you in many ways. None of which are going to help you complete the game. For instance your girlfriend will be smiling, and happy while your opponent might be mad, jealous or disgusted... These emotions from others not involved in the game will distract you consciously and sub consciously..

Focus instead on keeping your shooting rhythm exactly the same, your pace of play should not change at all and your eyes should only see that table. Be methodical, shoot and focus only on making the next shot and getting the shape to make the next ball. Shape does not have to be perfect, something most folks don't seem to realize. You just need to stay in line and have the cue ball on the correct side of the object ball..

It all boils down to not getting excited before you end the game, stay in the moment until you do there is lots of time to celebrate after you win..
Girlfriends like winners.....

Theres a lot of talk about PSR, but not so much about after the shot routine, in these forums. After a shot it's important to always accept the outcome. What I usually see is players not taking accountability for the bad shots and get the good shots go to their head. The problem is the emotional reaction of the shot that throws you off your mental state. Same thing happens when a player miss position, they react then they shoot an even worse shot because of the reaction. Get good at accepting both your good and bad shots and it will help you to recover from misses and clear up from highlight shots.

You should expect to make every shot yet you shouldn't be surprised if you miss.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve shot a million balls.

My results:

Made one tough one
Missed one easy one

999,998 shots were average 😉😂

Good thread,

Funny things happen playing pool,

Nest
Fatboy 😃😃

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once heard Ralph Eckert talk about this very thing and it often echoes in my head. I have to paraphrase, but you get the gist.

Contrary to the obvious, it is not the low percentage, brilliant shot that is most important when playing pool. It is the shot that immediately follows the difficult shot that is most important.

I think about it anytime I pull off a tough shot. I use it to settle myself down, regain focus and remind myself to go through my PSR and stick to good fundamentals. It also reminds me to not break my hand patting myself on the back.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
You miss the next shot because you are a mediocre pool player.

Mediocre players make unbelievable shots all the time.

When the cue ball stops rolling you are still the same mediocre player who misses often.

One shot doesn't change your speed.