should pro tournaments ban the jump cue?

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
The jump cue is there to make the shot easier. Both parties are allowed to use it making the game still fair.

Why not force golfers to use the same club for every shot. They dont because certain clubs make certain shots easier. Same idea with a break cue, jump cue, bridge, playing cue.

Just my opinion, but I think the Jump cue should not be excluded from any pool venue.

Golfers are limited on the number of clubs they can carry....Limiting them to one club is not realistic...You can't expect someone to hit a wedge 230 yards with very much accuracy...at the same time you are not going to hit a flop shot with a 3-iron.....now for the part of Golf that most resembles pool. (on the green)...... nobody is using more than one club ..(Well I should say that you can use other clubs but only a few greens in the world would the necessity occur...and its usually frowned upon outside the pro ranks...)

However....if you decide you want to carry 4 wedges in your bag.....you can....but you have to sacrifice other clubs in your bag,

I think Cameron's intent was to show that Golf is attempting to put limits on the technology...how far the ball goes...how much it does spin, how much it does not spin. club face technology, etc...

I also don't think that Cameron's intent was against the jump cue itself.....per say...but more against the technology behind the jump cue that makes it so easy to jump a ball a monkey could do it...

For others (people like SJM I would guess) it is more about preserving the origonal intent and or tradition of the game...I would imagine that when the game was first thought up, the intent of the game was to be played on a flat surface.

I fall into both catagories...I don't want technology to improve the game to make it so easy a monkey could do it, I want skill to remain a factor..Faster cloth faster rails don't take the skill factor away from the game...It does play to a slightly different skill set, but there still is much skill involved...(similarly like a long golf course vs a short tight golf course) ......there still is skill involved in jumping a ball and making it, but the skill of actually jumping a ball is gone in my opinion, and it also robs the opponent in regards to the skill it took to pull off a snooker...(even if the balls are not locked together)..

I also want to see the intent of the game preserved.....I belive the game was intended to be played on a flat surface at all times...not in the air

With all that being said....Just tell me the rules before we start, and lets play. :)

Last edited:

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
I prefer watching players that jump with a full cue. I think that they should just do-away with the jump cue that way there is no question or debate.

Berek

I am not a fan of jump shots. I'm an old pool player. Safety play is greatly changed. Billiards is about angles and strategy. I've never jumped on my table. As far as cues go, no. Special cues like special golf clubs shouldn't be allowed. One cue is enough.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pro tournaments are just something to watch and i dont care what they do.

in your local tournaments its up to the players to vote on what they want. and if you dont like it dont play.

when i am gambling i make the rule the cue you start with you finish with unless you break it. then can finish off the wall or change your shaft.
and can have a break cue, but used only on the break.

Geosnookery

pro tournaments are just something to watch and i dont care what they do.

in your local tournaments its up to the players to vote on what they want. and if you dont like it dont play.

when i am gambling i make the rule the cue you start with you finish with unless you break it. then can finish off the wall or change your shaft.
and can have a break cue, but used only on the break.

I agree with this.

I play hockey and baseball. We don’t care what rules pros use. 99.99% of players aren’t ‘pros’. We make pour own rules. No Slap shots in hockey. In baseball..no dangerous throws to bases or home plate.

I play in two pool leagues. No jump shots so no jump cues. However, tomorrow we could change the rule with majority consensus.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeez, it really is Halloween, another thread back from the dead! I didn't go back and read through the bulk of it nearly fifteen years old but Earl Strickland created a whole business line. Jump cues were created to keep up with what he could do with a full cue.

Now the game has gotten three dimensional with many players able to pocket balls, draw, or follow with a jump cue as needed. I have to admit, I don't care for jumping. Seems hard on equipment whether it is or not. Also adds to errant balls bouncing around the pool room.

Finally, it changes the nature of the game and not in a good way. No need to learn to kick and bank when you can break out a pogo stick and jump.

Read my old post in this thread, I said "whatever". However, both jumping and my opinion have evolved since then! Never owned a jump cue, don't plan to. Then again, I am not competing against them for big bucks.

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeez, it really is Halloween, another thread back from the dead! I didn't go back and read through the bulk of it nearly fifteen years old but Earl Strickland created a whole business line. Jump cues were created just to keep up with what he could do with a full cue.

In 2006 most players couldn't jump for crap and when they broke out a jump stick I often got ball in hand. Now the game has gotten three dimensional with many players able to pocket balls, draw, or follow with a jump cue as needed. I have to admit, I don't care for jumping. Seems hard on equipment whether it is or not. Also adds to errant balls bouncing around the pool room.

Finally, it changes the nature of the game and not in a good way. No need to learn to kick and bank when you can break out a pogo stick and jump.

Hu

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pyrotechnics in billiards is likely only encouraged to titillate the TV audience. Anything that is hard on equipment should be prohibited (jump cues, vertical masse, etc.). Even when break cloths are provided, some jerks will alway ignore them. Short rack games should probably require that the cue ball is always placed on the head spot for the break.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a fan of jump shots. I'm an old pool player. Safety play is greatly changed. Billiards is about angles and strategy. I've never jumped on my table. As far as cues go, no. Special cues like special golf clubs shouldn't be allowed. One cue is enough.

Welcome to 2006 :eek:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Jump cues add an element to the game that has made it more entertaining and increased the required skill in CB control during safety play. No more haphazard safeties by just rolling it down behind some traffic.

On the flip side, you're kidding yourselves if you believe the jump stick has somehow negated the art of kicking. Time and place for everything.

You want to complain about something. How about playing cue extensions that allow players not to bother learning the skill of using a rest...?

Hypocrisy i tell you....lol

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I have noticed that most of the people that are against jump cues, can't jump very well. I like jump cues. In some ways it forces you to execute even better safeties, where your goal now is try to freeze the cue ball to an object ball. As already mentioned, kicking still happens when jump cues are allowed, but in less situations. And most of all, jump shots are the most exciting shots for the fans. Nothing gets the fans clapping more than a perfectly executed jump shot. I say that they are good for the game, and they are also good for the cue manufacturers.

Even with a jump cue, jump shots are obviously not guaranteed. And as for equipment wear, I have never personally seen a table damaged from a jump shot or even from a masse shot for that matter. Not that damage can't occur, but in all my years of playing, I've never witnessed it myself.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Can't say my views have changed much on this matter in the nearly fifteen years that have passed since this thread was started.

I have and will continue to suggest that there is a middle ground. As my primary problem with the jump shot is that it reduces the penalty for position misplayed, I would be OK with allowing the use of the jump on the first shot of any inning. If opponent hooks you, a jump cue could be permitted, but if you hook yourself, you cannot use a jump cue..

Finally, I do not agree with those that suggest that the jump cue has made pool more exciting to watch.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have and will continue to suggest that there is a middle ground. As my primary problem with the jump shot is that it reduces the penalty for position misplayed, I would be OK with allowing the use of the jump on the first shot of any inning. If opponent hooks you, a jump cue could be permitted, but if you hook yourself, you cannot use a jump cue..

Finally, I do not agree with those that suggest that the jump cue has made pool more exciting to watch.

Speaking for myself... I have in the past and will continue to do so, have played shape for a jump shot. Doesn't come up often but when you're a proficient jumper it's a viable option when considering patterns.

As far as what is exciting or not... I rather see a pro jump with action to pot a ball and play shape, then see them taking a best guess at a few rails. As with any shot choice. Some jumps are easy, some are not. I can tell you that based on my exposure to pool room crowds. Most will stop to watch a jump shot being attempted. Kicks hardly raise an eyebrow.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I think that for an experienced pool player you "might" be right. But for the average spectator, you are most certainly wrong. I know that you go to many tournaments in person and I frankly can't believe that you can't see the extra excitement when a jump shot is made. In fact, the average spectator many times won't even recognize or clap for a shot that an experienced player realizes was a very hard shot, but that's not the case for jump shots. Most spectators appreciate virtually any jump shot more than a regular shot IMO.

_______

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DNR whole thread. Cues are hand tools to do pool. Equipment rules are to prevent damage, injury, cheating, d'I miss something? If groops like BCA want to make the game harder, tighten the pockets.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If indeed Jump Cue was Banned, someone would cry foul. BTW I have seen people Jump real well with a special Jump Cue.

Next discussion will be should "jumping be banned", again some people will not be happy.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking for myself... I have in the past and will continue to do so, have played shape for a jump shot. Doesn't come up often but when you're a proficient jumper it's a viable option when considering patterns.

As far as what is exciting or not... I rather see a pro jump with action to pot a ball and play shape, then see them taking a best guess at a few rails. As with any shot choice. Some jumps are easy, some are not. I can tell you that based on my exposure to pool room crowds. Most will stop to watch a jump shot being attempted. Kicks hardly raise an eyebrow.

There is a different discussion of just jumping and jumping using a short jump cue. Many people keep putting both of those things together but it's not. One is a skilled shot, other depends on the equipment entirely. In fact I have not seen a pro player interview when asked about jump cues where they said they like them, they all say they are better off without them. But no idea why tournaments have not followed up on that. Most real pool fans don't like jump cues, most pros don't like jump cues, yet past some local events they are allowed. Just shows that the game is not controlled by the players at all and they flock to whatever place will hand them some money for playing.

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
learn how to jump with a full cue. The inclusion of the jump cue in pool, to me, has been like adding a 3ft dia. ball to bowling and calling it the 7-10 split ball.