Should the TAR table stay as is or go to standard pockets? You choose.

What size pockets should be on the TAR Table?

• Keep the 4 1/8" pockets.

Votes: 236 46.5%
  • Switch to standard Diamond 4 1/2" pockets.

Votes: 271 53.5%

• Total voters

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Justin -- I really appreciate your taking AzB's pulse on this before you made your decision.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that thinks 4.5" is not a bucket, especially with new cloth has ghost action, with a sucker like me. I'll play the 9-ball ghost and bet what you like. And I'm not even an A player.

Big Tyme Billiards in Houston, Texas has a 9 ft. Diamond with 4.5" pockets. Table #2 it is.

You can come get action. You might just make a score.

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Right Choice

I for one earnestly believe you made the right decision for the players, the viewers and for TAR. I'm looking forward to some more elite matches

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Anyone that thinks 4.5" is not a bucket, especially with new cloth has ghost action, with a sucker like me. I'll play the 9-ball ghost and bet what you like. And I'm not even an A player.

Big Tyme Billiards in Houston, Texas has a 9 ft. Diamond with 4.5" pockets. Table #2 it is.

You can come get action. You might just make a score.

So playing the 9 ball ghost in Texas is exactly the same as playing Bustamante, Orcollo. Shane, Archer or Alex on a promoted PPV stream ?

Learn something new everyday.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
So I take it you're using TOI and liking it. CJ suggest moving over PARALLEL to the TOI.........the Devil (parallel english) according to your teachings. Was wondering if you are doing it this way or moving over to the TOI with BHE or FHE? Thx.

Not to be a dick but there is a section devoted to the various aiming sects/tribes/cults. Please for the rest of us who dont speak aiming acronym do that over there.

We are discussing .125" differences in pockets here. This is important stuff.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
4 1/2 is going to be ready for next TAR match? And is next TAR going to be SVB vs. Mainplayer?

Yes and Yes.

TAR 31 will be February 15-17th with Shane and Mike. Same ten ball format as the Daz match. Pockets will be standard 4.5" Diamond.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I was one of the guys that voted for the 4 1/8" pockets, but I can hardly argue with Justin's reasoning and I think it was pretty awesome how he came here asked for imput and got mostly good genuine feedback. I'll still be supporting TAR in the future for sure. The product is fantastic regardless of fractions of an inch in the width of the pocket openings.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Justin -- I really appreciate your taking AzB's pulse on this before you made your decision.

Ditto.

The reason that CSI/TAR is the most credible pool promoter in America is that they've always cared what the fans want. Through their podcasts and also through AZB, they ensure a continual online dialogue between themselves and their patrons and potential patrons. That's why they are in clear tune with what people want in a professional pool product.

Nothing against Bonus Ball, a venture that I hope will succeed, but I always laugh that they're always talking about how the pros want to play Bonus Ball and that's why they've moved in their chosen direction. In the end, what potential patrons of the delivered pool product want to watch matters far more than what pros want to play. CSI/TAR, through it's actions, proves over and over that it understands this.

CSI/TAR is an enduring credit to the sport of pool and will always have a fan and patron in me. Looking forward to the next TAR match.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I was one of the guys that voted for the 4 1/8" pockets, but I can hardly argue with Justin's reasoning and I think it was pretty awesome how he came here asked for imput and got mostly good genuine feedback. I'll still be supporting TAR in the future for sure. The product is fantastic regardless of fractions of an inch in the width of the pocket openings.

Agreed.

It's going to be interesting seeing how the next matches play out.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Not to be a dick but TOI has nothing to do with aiming..........but I get your point. He's a major player when it comes to pool instruction.......perhaps he could answer my question in another thread.

I dont know what TOI is. Or BHE or FHE. Or HAMB or CTE.

All I know is when I see more than one acronym used in a sentence around here any more it tilts the living shit out of me.

tommygunn78

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball and 9 ball is an Aggresive shot makers game. I think with pockets two tight it takes away from the beauty of the game. I love when a player makes a great stroke shot instead of playing a safe. When did diamond pro cut pockets get to big? It's not like its a slop box. When all the old time greats played were people complaining about pockets being to big on those gold crowns? I doubt it people saw Buddy, and Earl put packages together that's exciting! When the tables are to tight a six or seven game lead is Hugh. I vote 4.5 bring back the beauty of the game. That being said I will support TAR on whatever decision is made. Thanks Justin

I really believe the true measure of a great player is where he puts the cue ball. its not pocketing thats much tougher on this table its gettting the right position. and also putting strategy in a players game. Looser pockets favor the weaker player because a pure shotmaker with no knowlegde can win the game. The true beauty in my opinion is a well rounded player someone that can make great shots, put the cue ball where it need be, breaks good, and most of all intelligent at the table. this poll would never be brought up in the far east where they want to see true excellence and challenge themselves

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All I know is when I see more than one acronym used in a sentence around here any more it tilts the living shit out of me.

Justin,

I think you should reconsider changing the rails out until at least after Mike and Shane's match. While Shane missed a few balls against Darren, he didn't miss near as many as Darren did. And I have to wonder if Darren's misses were from the table or from the lack of gambling he does as opposed to Shane.

I like leaving the rails on and letting the Dechaine/SVB match determine if the rails should be changed or not. No offense to Darren, but I think his arm froze up a little from not gambling with strong players like Shane. Mike shoots straight enough, gambles often, and has played on this table before unlike Darren. I feel as thought the level of pool will be much higher in the next match.

Whatever you decide I back you 100% but I think I would leave them on for at least 1 more match to gain even greater insight to this question form both perspectives. Good luck!

Joe T

Not to be a dick but TOI has nothing to do with aiming..........but I get your point. He's a major player when it comes to pool instruction.......perhaps he could answer my question in another thread.

Done, its in the aiming forum. Sorry big guy, good job with the feedback and I hope all that voted tune their a** in for the next match.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

LOL. If your aiming system has a name then you can't bet a quarter.

Know what I want to see more of on TAR? Amateur grudge matches.

OMGWTF vs. Chicken Wing was the greatest TAR match of all time!!!!

:)

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense to Darren, but I think his arm froze up a little from not gambling with strong players like Shane.

Appleton has done plenty of gambling against strong players in the past. I think the early scratches on the break got to him and he never really recovered his composure. Or maybe he just had a couple of off days - it happens, even to players as strong as Daz.