Should we start a petition to change the 5 ball back to orange again?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no… because I have a life And it’s just an orange pool ball. Who cares.
Lots of people care. We are traditionalists and our sport does need support and organization,

Pool DOES NOT need to be altered to destroy it’s traditional colors and turn it into a unrecognizable thing of the past-in the pursuit of improving it.

Leave the colors alone!! We have been shooting at orange 5 balls long before I was born in 66.

When you have shot millions of balls, and lots of us have there’s a connection we have with those balls, a order of rotation colors, a bond. None of witch needs to be altered.

Like snooker, tradition. They don’t change the colors.

Want pool to have a future? Let some of its past remain as tradition. The colors of the balls being one thing that’s not a negative thing.

Oscar told me one night at Griffs “anything, but don’t f*ck with the colors of the balls”. I fully agree.

Change is good. But not the balls. It matters

Hope that clears things up.

Take a poll and see I’d bet 75% of the people care about the ball colors. And 85% if they played 20 years or longer. And 95% if they played 40+ years. We don’t need or want our traditions changed. Cleaning up pool-ok fine! Good idea. But not the balls PLEASE!

Fatboy 🟧🟧🟧🟧

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Take a poll and see I’d bet 75% of the people care about the ball colors. And 85% if they played 20 years or longer. And 95% if they played 40+ years. We don’t need or want our traditions changed.
I would bet that 100% of people who have ever played or watched pool in their life would prefer that if purple is going to be used, that it be used on the four ball where it has always been rather than making some other new ball purple like the five ball. Literally 100%. Well except for Emily Frazer, so technically 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Emily must have consulted an interior decorator, who gushed about his lovely favorite colors...
(edit) There is also the rumor that this decorator suggested that she place one of those "darling" pool tables made to look like a ;65 Mustang in her home. She ordered one..in Playmate pink.
She’s doin g a great job and has a million things to do.

In her defense the purple 5 was just a mistake. No harm, no foul. Not a big deal.

She’s done more good than harm to pool 10X from what I’ve seen.

However I sincerely hope she reconsiders and corrects this next year. That’s my whole mission here. I hope she reads this. I have nothing but praise for her. One mistake ain’t the end of the world-it’s normal. We all make mistakes at our jobs, in our businesses, when we play pool. Mistakes happen. How we handle them defined us.

So having said that, I hope she realizes it, and takes it in stride and corrects it. Not a big deal.

She’s certainly not in the crosshairs or done anything bad. Exciting times in pool!

Best
Fatboy

PS: if anyone knows her please have her read this. Eventually I’ll meet her. And for sure the purple 5 will not be the first thing we talk about. There’s lots more cool important things going on. But it does need corrected.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bet that 100% of people who have ever played or watched pool in their life would prefer that if purple is going to be used, that it be used on the four ball where it has always been rather than making some other new ball purple like the five ball. Literally 100%. Well except for Emily Frazer, so technically 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%.
That’s the real problem is the colors are backwards and confusing. Not the colors themselves

Edit: you forgot a few 99999999999’s on your math😂😉

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pool Ball Colors Logic:

Primary colors (no mixing): 1/9, 2/10, 3/11
Secondary colors (2 primaries mixed): 4/12, 5/13, 6/14
Tertiary color (secondary & primary mixed): 7/15
No color (black): 8
All colors (white): cue ball

In light, pretty sure thIs correct.
In material, white is the absence of color
..,and black is the presence of all colors

pt….open to enlightment

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just adopt Brunswick Centennials as the official pool ball set of …..whatever….BCA, APA, WPA,
NAPA, or anything widely recognized as a sanctioning entity of sorts. The colors seem pretty ideal, IMO.

MajorMiscue

Rock Spinner
Gold Member
Why not just adopt Brunswick Centennials as the official pool ball set of …..whatever….BCA, APA, WPA,
NAPA, or anything widely recognized as a sanctioning entity of sorts. The colors seem pretty ideal, IMO.
Why not? They are made by Saluc, the same company that makes Aramith balls.
Boycott Purple 5 balls and any org that supports them.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Someone started a facebook poll on Matchrooms facebook page and then they closed it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
POLL:

Yes, I think MC should close polls about MC on MC's page

No, I don't think MC should close polls about MC on MC's page.

Maybe.

Jeff Livingston

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did they change the colors in the first place?
I've not seen any professional Snooker matches where a promoter suddenly decides to swap colors on two of the balls.
Personally I don't like the 4 being orange at all. But I'd like to understand why this was done.

Jveightball

I'm colorblind. I say we make them all purple.
I’m colordeaf. Let’s make the 8-ball gold, and change 6 to a pure green in the rainbow. hot pink instead of the current pink, and Vegas/electric blue.

somebody can certainly do better with the color scheme than whoever came up with the the current pro balls and claimed they are better for TV. theyre even worse now!

Jveightball

I played a small tournament with these new coloured balls. It wasn't as much of a problem as it is on tv. The numbers are more visible in real life. HOWEVER, I did need a little extra time (couple of seconds) to survey the table after the break. It's not that the different colours are so terrible. The old TV colours (pink four and brown 7) I got used to after a while, and they did serve a purpose. They made the balls stand out more and the colours more easily distinguishable. In the "olden" days you couldn't tell wether a ball was the 2 the 4 the 7 or the 8! The "new" TV colours sort of fixed that, but now we have high def and don't need that crutch anymore. What I dislike is change for the sake of change, which this newest colour change is. It has no real purpose as it doesn't really add anything, it just changes things around.
Of course there’s that whole marketing angle to sell more sets of balls. Kind of how they invented valentines and mothers days to sell more cards, flowers and candy, and threw in Father’s Day to sell more tools. 😉

Jveightball

Another pet peeve is the Predator Arcos balls have the ball number on one side and the logo on the other. With color changes I have had to walk around the other side of a ball to see what number it is since I haven’t memorized that set yet.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another pet peeve is the Predator Arcos balls have the ball number on one side and the logo on the other. With color changes I have had to walk around the other side of a ball to see what number it is since I haven’t memorized that set yet.

Predator will put their name and/or logo in every empty space they can fit it.
It's annoying, unprofessional and makes them look cheap.

dquarasr

Registered
That’s the real problem is the colors are backwards and confusing. Not the colors themselves

Edit: you forgot a few 99999999999’s on your math😂😉
I’ll be “that guy”. Assuming she’s one out of a million pool players (to make the math easy), the percentage would be 99.9999%.

#makethefiveballorange

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I hope so,

I’d like to thank who ever did.

I don’t know how to start one, but I fully support it!

🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
I can start the petition on change.org. No problem there.

What i need is a write up on what we are petitioning, who we are petitioning against.

Was there ever a reason given on changing the ball color ?

What events have the new colors been used in ?

What reasons do we have to want the 5 orange ?

Which company brands are using different colors?

Do we also say we wont by said brands ?

While i prefer the traditional color balls, i have not found any details on why this happened. Need those details for the petition. We wont get many signatures if we can not provide complete details.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can start the petition on change.org. No problem there.

What i need is a write up on what we are petitioning, who we are petitioning against.

Was there ever a reason given on changing the ball color ?

What events have the new colors been used in ?

What reasons do we have to want the 5 orange ?

Which company brands are using different colors?

Do we also say we wont by said brands ?

While i prefer the traditional color balls, i have not found any details on why this happened. Need those details for the petition. We wont get many signatures if we can not provide complete details.
Tradition is the main reason

the purple is confusing in general

I think it should be done next year after they have played out this what’s ever is currently scheduled.

It’s clear by this thread that the majority of rail birds and players don’t like the set of balls they are using presently.

Thanks very much

Eric