Simonis alternative

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I have been hearing that simonis is hard to come by and when you do get it it’s not what it was. What is the next best option to 860 hr?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I have been hearing that simonis is hard to come by and when you do get it it’s not what it was. What is the next best option to 860 hr?
I think they had a little fuzz problem on some batches but the new stuff I got on amazon was/is great. I'd try to go through a high volume merchant to be safe. I think it's back to great stuff and available again.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a room in Florida covered with Predator cloth. I was playing on it a good hour before I even saw the label under the cushion. I thought it was Simonis the whole time. I'd recommend it.

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a room in Florida covered with Predator cloth. I was playing on it a good hour before I even saw the label under the cushion. I thought it was Simonis the whole time. I'd recommend it.
Interesting. Is it comparable to 860 or HR? I ask because most local tables here are HR and I want my home table to play just as fast. I am willing to try since the cost difference is significant.

Thanks in advance.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I slightly prefer Championship Tour. Might be a touch faster than Simonis, but very similar. The big advantage is it shows less wear and tear, especially on the break spot. Mine still looks new after a year and a half.
My Championship Tour Edition is several months old and it's starting to show some slight wear down my break path. The wear is very slight and I admit I play several hours a day and I usually break from the same spot for both 8 ball and 9 ball. However, my previous cloth, Simonis 860, which I have used for years, has always shown more wear at an earlier stage. Time will tell but so far I'm happy with the way the Championship plays. Moat times I can't tell the difference between the two.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Andy Cloth outta WY.... good product and owners.
Room here could NOT get 860 this past yr and he kept putting it off but knew he couldn't.
He tried this Andy cloth.
He's very pleased, as are the players.
In the annual Saratoga tourney coming up soon many pros show up and play in this annual event.
Rodney Morris, Corey, Archer, Massey and a few others. Small town along the Platte river.
New heard a cloth complaint.

bm

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I had no trouble getting 860 HR put on back in the summer. It's still the great product it always was with zero complaints on my end. I did hear about a bad batch on here, but I have no experience with that. I'd view switching to some other cloth as a needless risk. Only my opinion of course, and I'm sure that the others experiences with other cloths are valid.

dd1228

Registered
Simonis 860 has more wool content than Tour Edition making it slightly slower but doesn't show the burn marks as bad.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Is it comparable to 860 or HR? I ask because most local tables here are HR and I want my home table to play just as fast. I am willing to try since the cost difference is significant.

Thanks in advance.
I play mostly on regular 860, and this felt the same to me. I don't have a good gage for 860HR.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have Championship Tour on my table. I agree with what has already been said about it.

Edit: I went from Simonis 860 to Championship Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andy Cloth outta WY.... good product and owners.
Room here could NOT get 860 this past yr and he kept putting it off but knew he couldn't.
He tried this Andy cloth.
He's very pleased, as are the players.
In the annual Saratoga tourney coming up soon many pros show up and play in this annual event.
Rodney Morris, Corey, Archer, Massey and a few others. Small town along the Platte river.
New heard a cloth complaint.

bm
ANDY USA in WY is closed afaik. No activity on their FB page for 3yrs, web is down and they never answer. Eastern & Seybert's are both USA dist afaik. https://easternbilliards.com/andy-cloth.html

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Zar, no they Are up and running. They hold the Saratoga WY event every year, good men, and their annual event it next mth.

bm

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
My Championship Tour Edition is several months old and it's starting to show some slight wear down my break path. The wear is very slight and I admit I play several hours a day and I usually break from the same spot for both 8 ball and 9 ball. However, my previous cloth, Simonis 860, which I have used for years, has always shown more wear at an earlier stage. Time will tell but so far I'm happy with the way the Championship plays. Moat times I can't tell the difference between the two.
This has been my experience as well, another vote for Champ 30/30. I had the Steel Grey put on last September and it shows wear much less than the 860HR. It even wears better than the Champ Blue which preceded it. Not sure why, but best wearing cloth for me. And, I like the slightly faster speed. Also costs about $100 less than Simonis.

-dj