Simplified CTE

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ, you must be super bored tonight so you decided to troll on Az. Only explanation for this thread that I can think of

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Summary: CTE is essentially fractional aiming with the center-to-edge reference alignment added for more shot picture detail. CTE's complex instructions are mainly focused on how to visually integrate the added center-to-edge reference into the fractional shot picture. This is not intended to "rebut" CTE, but to suggest a simplified alternate version of it.

CTE and fractional aiming use the same reference alignments (A-B-C or 15-30-45) and the same adjustments (thicker-thinner or outside-inside) to get from the chosen fractional reference alignment to the final aim. With either method (as with all methods) practice builds consistency and confidence in choosing the reference alignment and adjusting from there.

CTE's refinement is to add the center-to-edge reference to the fractional reference to (1) provide a consistent "anchor reference" for each shot and (2) add visual detail to make the shot picture more distinct, recognizable and memorable.

Adding the center-to-edge reference to the picture is an interesting refinement, but I'd simplify its use. Rather than try to describe how to "see" it, I'd just use it as a consistent starting alignment for each shot, which would be enough to keep it in my "mind's eye" while aiming the shot. In other words, start each shot with a center-to-edge "orienting" alignment, then move to the chosen fractional/aimpoint reference alignment + final inside/outside adjustment.

pj
chgo
Just be aware that new and improved CTE does not make use of the CTE line anymore except for the 30 degree or B alignment. IOW, there is nothing special about the CTE line even though the method is called CTE.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just be aware that new and improved CTE does not make use of the CTE line anymore except for the 30 degree or B alignment. IOW, there is nothing special about the CTE line even though the method is called CTE.
So the one thing that made it something more than overcomplicated fractions is gone.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the one thing that made it something more than overcomplicated fractions is gone.

pj
chgo
Well, no, it's actually more complicated than it was. The CTE line was replaced by the aim line (or is it the sight line, one of those). Stan's youtubes cover it. Essentially you still have the ABC line but you now have another line that is more or less parallel to that one and moved over by half a ball diameter. For B the aim line is at the ob edge but for A and C it is not. For A it is near (right on?) C and for C it is off the face of the ob. Not very objective. I think Stan has a little piece of paper to gauge how far off the ob the aim line is for the C perception. You have to practice knowing where the aim line goes.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I admit that Simplified CTE doesn't take 15 years, 20 videos and a $100 book (so far) to describe.

Got me there.

pj
chgo
Understandable. I hope the efficacy is satisfactory to you. I encourage any reader to try what you described and if they are completely satisfied then no need to go any further with any type of CTE aiming. However should a student want to go farther and learn a system with amazing results for just about any shot directly to a pocket and most banks I would highly suggest they study Stan Shuffett's CTE instructionals. There are dozens of free videos online and a facebook forum where all questions about the application of the method are answered by good practitioners and Stan. If one wants to purchase a companion workbook full of diagrams and instruction then one can buy a high quality hardcover one for $100 plus shipping.

Depending on the student learning advanced cte will be anywhere from a couple days to possibly years. Whatever you have described, which is NOT CTE but which you labeled simplified cte, can be learned in minutes based on your description. I am just glad to see another aiming method offered and glad that you chose to create something with the name CTE in the title so that people looking will find the various offerings out there from simple, to simplified to advance CTE.

Thank you for that. I will do a video and credit you for the label. I will demonstrate the simplified CTE as you described it on video and test the efficacy for myself and give the viewers a comparison.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This one is much simpler .
Memorize all those acronyms .
No it is very likely much much more accurate. The difference between a teacher who is invested deeply in the subject and one who is skimming the surface is depth of knowledge.

90/90 is much simpler than CTE and covers a broad range of shots. But it is not as accurate imo. Still I use both and sometimes the 90/90 aim is clear as day and I use that.

Maybe "simplified cte" will become the gateway aiming system for students to get a taste before they graduate to "super accurate cte". That would be great to see Pat contribute something that boosts the CTE profile in general. And I know you would be really happy to see that as well.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Summary: CTE is essentially fractional aiming with the center-to-edge reference alignment added for more shot picture detail. CTE's complex instructions are mainly focused on how to visually integrate the added center-to-edge reference into the fractional shot picture. This is not intended to "rebut" CTE, but to suggest a simplified alternate version of it.

CTE and fractional aiming use the same reference alignments (A-B-C or 15-30-45) and the same adjustments (thicker-thinner or outside-inside) to get from the chosen fractional reference alignment to the final aim. With either method (as with all methods) practice builds consistency and confidence in choosing the reference alignment and adjusting from there.

CTE's refinement is to add the center-to-edge reference to the fractional reference to (1) provide a consistent "anchor reference" for each shot and (2) add visual detail to make the shot picture more distinct, recognizable and memorable.

Adding the center-to-edge reference to the picture is an interesting refinement, but I'd simplify its use. Rather than try to describe how to "see" it, I'd just use it as a consistent starting alignment for each shot, which would be enough to keep it in my "mind's eye" while aiming the shot. In other words, start each shot with a center-to-edge "orienting" alignment, then move to the chosen fractional/aimpoint reference alignment + final inside/outside adjustment.

pj
chgo
I will try this later and make a video on my thoughts.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

pj
chgo
I'll bite. Can you explain how I get aligned to the ball? How do I know I'm seeing it right?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will try this later and make a video on my thoughts.
John, I’m curious. What creates more movement when down on the shot, the half tip pivot used in CTE or adjustments that have to be made from the fractional alignment