Slate Screws

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Anyone have a good source for Slate screws like #16x3" or 3-1/2". I keep getting the ones from the local hardware store everymonth they seem softer and softer still strip out the head or split the screw in half. I'm using soap and the correct #3 bit.

I was thinking of mcarmaster or another supplier to try out.

Glen has a good answer to the problem more work in the begining but less evertime you go back to work on the table. The old nut and bolt game.

Craig

OTLB

Banned
liquid nails works great, a little dimple of it makes for a great wedge don't you think

Last edited:

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Anyone have a good source for Slate screws like #16x3" or 3-1/2". I keep getting the ones from the local hardware store everymonth they seem softer and softer still strip out the head or split the screw in half. I'm using soap and the correct #3 bit.

I was thinking of mcarmaster or another supplier to try out.

Glen has a good answer to the problem more work in the begining but less evertime you go back to work on the table. The old nut and bolt game.

Craig

Global billiards has a nice hardened #14 x 3 screw, call them. Not sure about #16 though.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Thanks never carried liquid nails afraid of it leaking in the tool bag.

I will check global out never thoiught to look for hardend steel ones

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had good luck with the Spax screws from Menards in a pinch, pricey but pretty tuff screws. Also have only used #14's not sure about #16. They claim you don't need to pre-drill them but I always do.

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
I have had good luck with the guys at Copper State Bolt & Nut. I just threw away my last empty box so I will have to get the product number next time I go there. The P3 heads do not strip out, and I have yet to have a head snap off on me. They are also zinc coated, so they stay bright and shinny too! It doesn't look like they list the screws on the web anyway.

http://www.copperstate.com/

realkingcobra

Silver Member
guy's guy's guy's...:D I carry boxes of 1/4" x 20 x 4 1/2" machine screws with washers and locknut's with me. I won't hesitate to change out the wood screws to machine screws, why fight the stripped out holes, broken off screws, multiple holes from all the setup! Just drill out the slate screw holes with a 1/4" drill bit and replace....how long does that take?

Glen

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I know it's the nuts haven't tried it yet myb I'll doit o the gold crown I picked up 3 days ago just to get the feet wet. Its how all the Gabrial tables are nut bolt for the leveling system.

I'm always looking for better products for every type of install, I used to 5 tool bags only 2 had tools rest had misc parts for what ever I ran into.

A friend went to go work on an ohlhausen table drove 2 hrs to get there it was a 1 piece slate table with lags for the rails. How many people carry lags.

Thanks,

Craig

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
guy's guy's guy's...:D I carry boxes of 1/4" x 20 x 4 1/2" machine screws with washers and locknut's with me. I won't hesitate to change out the wood screws to machine screws, why fight the stripped out holes, broken off screws, multiple holes from all the setup! Just drill out the slate screw holes with a 1/4" drill bit and replace....how long does that take?

Glen

What do you do with a table that the slate gets screwed right into the cabinet with no slate block to bolt to?

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I know it's the nuts haven't tried it yet myb I'll doit o the gold crown I picked up 3 days ago just to get the feet wet. Its how all the Gabrial tables are nut bolt for the leveling system.

I'm always looking for better products for every type of install, I used to 5 tool bags only 2 had tools rest had misc parts for what ever I ran into.

A friend went to go work on an ohlhausen table drove 2 hrs to get there it was a 1 piece slate table with lags for the rails. How many people carry lags.

Thanks,

Craig

That's no Olhausen I've ever seen! LOL Gotta love when you show up all prepared to work on one thing and it turns out being a completely different table. Not TOO bad until you show up with the cloth to recover an 8' table and it turns out to be a 9'!

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Cue phoric and I did A pro 8 with undercut cloth for an 8 footer she was fun.

Craig

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Remember hope for hte best and be prepaired for the worst. Thats probably why my back hurts to many tools and parts

Craig

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I have some #16's, I can send you some to try out if you'd like. I'll have to check on the length tomorrow, but I think they matched the original ones on my G.C.III.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Rodney you dont have to go out of your way I just was seeing if anyone found a better r placement screws, what you buy from the hardware store is just junk quality you have to be extra carefull using them. The main problem is most mechanics use an impact instead of a drill with a clutch on it.

The real fix is waht Glen talks about I just need to switch over to it. I also like to keep extra parts on me so I was looking for better quality to stock up on.

I can find some here localy.

Thanks,

Craig

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I bought mine at Ace Hardware online, and I had to get 100. It's no trouble to send you some to see if they're any better(probably not).

There's no way I'll ever use them all(I don't work on tables), so your welcome to try some, and see how they are.

Rodney