Smorgass Bored Update

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
Poolplaya9 said:
Here is my post from another thread:

Speaking of which, I just decided to check the rep list and Smorg has been bumped out of the #1 spot!

That is an absolute travesty. For those that would like to help get him back into the #1 spot to stay here is the link to his posts that can be repped:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/search...archid=2466357

It took some doing, but finally able to REP!

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
muttley76 said:
I think it can be safely said that all of az is celebrating!

You took the words out of my mouth. Go Smorg! We're more than happy to know that you're still around to make the AzB and the world a better place :smile:

jackson

"The Sleekly Drifter"
Silver Member
Yea Doug!!!! - by now hopefully you're settled in at home - familiar surroundings are what you need now to give you strength - too long in a hospital just sucks the energy out of you - just rest and know we're all thinkin' about ya and sending out the good vibes - Jackson:wave: :wave:

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I'm going to try to take a whack at this.
Our 1st appointment on Feb. 17 was at 6:30, but we got there at 5:00a.m. and secured a wheelchair for me.

We went to LABS, which was packed and we were #E98 at 5:55a.m. This threw us off of for our other tests. The wheeelchair and ALL of the the other 8 types of chairs in the waiting room cut my circulation off be beind the knees and my legs began to swell enormousously.

A passing nurse from the E.R. said to get me up stairs immediately. I was on a no food-no liquid intake until the suregery the following morning. When they rolled me down the next morning and moved me to the operating takble, I last 8 seconds and my case was closed. I almost broke down, as everything was riding on this heart catheter procedure and now it was cancelled. I didn't know how to tell Barbarba or Joey.

They took me back to my room and began aggressive Lasix & Potassium programs and re-scheduled for Friday. Friday was a no go and they re-scheduled for Tuesday 24th. I made friends with all the nurses and aides and followed their orders explicicitly. My blood pressure remained dangerously low, complicating hich precriptions I may take. ALL the staff knew how important this was to us and worked tireslessly to make it a success. I was poked and prodded and stuck and vital signed, blood sugared and had been on a penis catheter for a week, which burned like hell. I was TOO apprehensive to sleep. They were giving me Morphine, Oxycontin, traquillizers, muscle relaxers, etc. to keep me calm.

I was scheduled first in the morning, but bumped and then they changed the rules and caught me off guard. I was told to lie back completely flat in my bed for 45 minutes. It almost killed me and I was under observation the entire time. When I had failed this test a week earlier with only 8 seconds, the Dr. told me that was probably best as he saw absolutely no realistic chance for success.

I had all my eggs in one basket and the thought of failing this test was frightening. a team of 5 suicide watch students had made me their life's work. I passed the 45 minutes test in my bed and when the rolled me downstairs, they changed the damned rules again. They move me from my bed to another with a vinly cover and the room was 65 degrees and I was nekkid. They wanted to observe me for 45 MORE minutes in that bed. I didn't think I would make it. My breathing was labored and I couldn't catch a breath..... then things got WORSE.

I was moved to the freezing operating table and laid bare. My legs are so ft at the thighs ,that thet were unable to find the vein or artery. One fellow was so big, that he kept pressing down on this one same spot on my groin and my right hip felt dislocated. They made the incisions and increased the pressure on my groin. My right hip felt like a severe Charlie Horse. The pain was SEVERE and I told them that as much as it meant to me, I didn't think that I good take it.

They told me that the procedure had just begun and to try to stick it out for a couple more hours. I gritted my teeth, grunted and groaned, prayed and cried and thought of all my friends and how disappointed tey would be in me (not to mention myself).

Finally, after what seemed like hours, I told them to stop, I couldn't go on. They said only about 29 more minutes and I sucked it up. When i told them to get their damned dirty ape paws of of me, the said only about 15 more minutes. It was the hardest thing that I ever done, but I sucked it up, still being barely able to breath.

Somehow, with personal resolve, promises made to others and the prareys and well wisges of my friends here, I MADE IT.

I wanted nothing more than to lay on my side, curl up, get warm, have an ice cube and get a leg massage from Barb. They rolled me back up to my room and told me to lay perfectly staright and at attention for 2 more hours.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Our 1st appointment on Feb. 17 was at 6:30, but we got there at 5:00a.m. and secured a wheelchair for me.

We went to LABS, which was packed and we were #E98 at 5:55a.m. This threw us off of for our other tests. The wheeelchair and ALL of the the other 8 types of chairs in the waiting room cut my circulation off be beind the knees and my legs began to swell enormousously.

A passing nurse from the E.R. said to get me up stairs immediately. I was on a no food-no liquid intake until the suregery the following morning. When they rolled me down the next morning and moved me to the operating takble, I last 8 seconds and my case was closed. I almost broke down, as everything was riding on this heart catheter procedure and now it was cancelled. I didn't know how to tell Barbarba or Joey.

They took me back to my room and began aggressive Lasix & Potassium programs and re-scheduled for Friday. Friday was a no go and they re-scheduled for Tuesday 24th. I made friends with all the nurses and aides and followed their orders explicicitly. My blood pressure remained dangerously low, complicating hich precriptions I may take. ALL the staff knew how important this was to us and worked tireslessly to make it a success. I was poked and prodded and stuck and vital signed, blood sugared and had been on a penis catheter for a week, which burned like hell. I was TOO apprehensive to sleep. They were giving me Morphine, Oxycontin, traquillizers, muscle relaxers, etc. to keep me calm.

I was scheduled first in the morning, but bumped and then they changed the rules and caught me off guard. I was told to lie back completely flat in my bed for 45 minutes. It almost killed me and I was under observation the entire time. When I had failed this test a week earlier with only 8 seconds, the Dr. told me that was probably best as he saw absolutely no realistic chance for success.
Thank you for taking the time to come on here when I am sure you are not feeling up to it (but don't push yourself!). There are a lot of people on here pulling and praying for you. Keep the faith.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I wasn't allowed to move, but out of the corner of my eye, I could almost quite not make out something. After 25 years, my mother had finally gotten her revenge and hung tha t cute-horrid little ET Creature just above my head, while noone was looking.

If I hadn't read this thread, I never would have figured it out. :)

All the cardiac surgeons were amazed that I had come through this procedure and I'm hear to tell you that I'd NEVER been able to do this without the staunch support orall of you here and my hospital staff, who took a great liking to Barb and I.

Now, I wait to hear from the Doctors, either on Friday or ealy next week and see if there is any course of action. I'm not out of the woods yets. I have lots of medicine to take, but my drastically low blood pressure prevents my taking it.

My whole body hurts, but I can take it. Typing all this was exhausting and I don't know when I might post again, but thank God for friends like all of you.
And......Kujo's to JoeyA.

Doug
(for now, that's a VIOLA !) imo :)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Hill/hill for the world championship $1,000,000 winner take all. Cue ball on the top rail center, 9 ball on the bottom rail. He whacks it, goes 3 rails and drills it.

Piece of cake compared to Smorgs latest piece of work. :groucho:

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
Doug,

It's great to see you posting on here again. Hopefully, when the results come back this Friday, there will be some great news. Now just go relax, enjoy being back in familiar environs, and know that the whole community here at AZ has you in their thoughts.

Josh

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing what you've been through. Saying the right words is hard to do. You remain as always a friend in my prayers.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Thanks Doug for coming on here despite all!

Assuming we can grasp an iota of what you went through, we are proud of you for taking it on the chin (and elsewhere, lol), sucking it up to no end, and making it through this ***** of a procedure! Man oh man, they don't make it easy for you, do they?!

Prayers for you big guy, up to the Big Guy!

Best,

Matt

<fingers, toes, and hairs crossed that word comes back with a doable plan de action>

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
Doug,

It is so great to see you posting again. Rest up and enjoy the "creature" and the other things that make you happy.

Dwight

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome Home

Smorgass Bored said:
I wasn't allowed to move, but out of the corner of my eye, I could almost quite not make out something. After 25 years, my mother had finally gotten her revenge and hung tha t cute-horrid little ET Creature just above my head, while noone was looking.

All the cardiac surgeons were amazed that I had come through this procedure and I'm hear to tell you that I'd NEVER been able to do this without the staunch support orall of you here and my hospital staff, who took a great liking to Barb and I.

Now, I wait to hear from the Doctors, either on Friday or ealy next week and see if there is any course of action. I'm not out of the woods yets. I have lots of medicine to take, but my drastically low blood pressure prevents my taking it.

My whole body hurts, but I can take it. Typing all this was exhausting and I don't know when I might post again, but thank God for friends like all of you.

Doug

Doug,

Glad you're back home buddy! Get yourself well, that's an order!

Ray

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:

Doug

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good attitude. You're in my prayers Mr. Doug!!

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:

I had all my eggs in one basket and the thought of failing this test was frightening. a team of 5 suicide watch students had made me their life's work. I passed the 45 minutes test in my bed and when the rolled me downstairs, they changed the damned rules again. They move me from my bed to another with a vinly cover and the room was 65 degrees and I was nekkid. They wanted to observe me for 45 MORE minutes in that bed. I didn't think I would make it. My breathing was labored and I couldn't catch a breath..... then things got WORSE.

I was moved to the freezing operating table and laid bare. My legs are so ft at the thighs ,that thet were unable to find the vein or artery. One fellow was so big, that he kept pressing down on this one same spot on my groin and my right hip felt dislocated. They made the incisions and increased the pressure on my groin. My right hip felt like a severe Charlie Horse. The pain was SEVERE and I told them that as much as it meant to me, I didn't think that I good take it.

They told me that the procedure had just begun and to try to stick it out for a couple more hours. I gritted my teeth, grunted and groaned, prayed and cried and thought of all my friends and how disappointed tey would be in me (not to mention myself).

Finally, after what seemed like hours, I told them to stop, I couldn't go on. They said only about 29 more minutes and I sucked it up. When i told them to get their damned dirty ape paws of of me, the said only about 15 more minutes. It was the hardest thing that I ever done, but I sucked it up, still being barely able to breath.

Somehow, with personal resolve, promises made to others and the prareys and well wisges of my friends here, I MADE IT.

I wanted nothing more than to lay on my side, curl up, get warm, have an ice cube and get a leg massage from Barb. They rolled me back up to my room and told me to lay perfectly staright and at attention for 2 more hours.

Once again, Doug, you're an inspiration.

-Andrew

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Welcome home Doug, great to hear from you. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jim