So, how much did he lose ?

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the way playing for big money was around here . you showed up with the cash or not play . both parties have cash , the owner of the speakeasy would hold the money , winner gets the money before closing time .

you never played on credit period . nobody would take that offer.

and some of the regular folks would play for small change 100 a rack . ive seen people jumped in parking lot , stabbings . etc / you didnt play around .

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whose garage did they play in and what city?
The way I heard JB he said several pro's were in there that he knew.
Was this a garage like at a home or a garage as in car repair garage?

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I went back and watched it all

John said, I have the money, but I’m not paying it right now.
That settles it. He’s a DIRTBAG
Makes me not even want to carry my case now.
I guess I’ll have to buy a new one.
Dirtbag. Said he HAD the money to pay, but would NOT pay it now.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw it

Whose garage did they play in and what city?
The way I heard JB he said several pro's were in there that he knew.
Was this a garage like at a home or a garage as in car repair garage?

Tiny garage, sheets on each side. Looked like a crap hole.
And neither of the guys could play much anyways.

Nobody could have been in there- it looked like a garage in a storage building you rent.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John said, I have the money, but I’m not paying it right now.
That settles it. He’s a DIRTBAG
Makes me not even want to carry my case now.
I guess I’ll have to buy a new one.
Dirtbag. Said he HAD the money to pay, but would NOT pay it now.

Yea he admitted to that because his ramblings get him in trouble.

The question he raised was why would he play when he doesn’t have the money and proceeds to say he has the money which is counterproductive to the 15 min rant beforehand.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's lost more than that before and he said it's a lot more than he ever did. I would say $30K - $40K minimum. That would not be a lot of money for his case company to generate but when you have a family to support as well...

Gambling debt is not legally enforceable. Threats against him are legally enforceable and could be severe depending on how they are interpreted. He has the bettors by the balls.

He makes his living providing to clients, many (most?) of whom have a certain familiarity with, and respect for pool hall gambling. Most recognize and believe that such debts incurred are genuinely owed.

Legality aside, if I knew that someone welched on such a debt, he’d never get a dollar of my money again. I bet I’m not the only one. Ultimately, I would think that would be more important to him than the loss itself.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I’m too chicken shit to gamble now. I use to gamble all my money but no more. I make some decent coin now and I would hate to lose a paycheck and wouldn’t even think about savings.

I think one way for him to rectify the situation is to give stake in his company. I would only settle on that or make me 50 cases.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He makes his living providing to clients, many (most?) of whom have a certain familiarity with, and respect for pool hall gambling. Most recognize and believe that such debts incurred are genuinely owed.

Legality aside, if I knew that someone welched on such a debt, he’d never get a dollar of my money again. I bet I’m not the only one. Ultimately, I would think that would be more important to him than the loss itself.

Why the honor system when neither parties posted the money.

Some could say the wagers are nullified.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think JB would forgive the debt had he won?

I think he would have. He and I made a silly bet for 2k on FargoRate in the action room here, that would take 4 years to determine the winner. I was chatting with him on a livestream a few months after we made the bet, and I said something to the effect of I made a bad bet. He said forget it, you don't owe me anything. I said let me send you a buyout, he said no. I sent him 750 afterwards on my own as a buyout, even though he didn't want or ask for any buyout.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad story indeed. Gambling, to some, is a disease, but to me it's just a budget line item. I know going into every calendar year what my budget is for gambling. If I should happen to exhaust it by July, then I don't gamble again until the next January.

To all who choose to gamble, even heavily, make sure gambling is a line item on your annual budget, so that you always know in advance what your maximum action can be and so you have a built in stopping point.

Good luck to John in rebounding from this setback. I see no reason for any of us (other than those who are now owed money by him) to pass judgement here, or worse, delight in his hardship.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He says he's not a compulsive gambler and I tend to agree with him, but he has many of the traits of one. The main point is he couldn't seem to control his own actions. Now he's in a big hole at a bad time.

I've take guys from 20 dollar sets to losing over 4k in a night. When you find a customer like that, you do all you can to treat them right.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the honor system when neither parties posted the money.

Some could say the wagers are nullified.

You could also argue that he has a certain standing in the industry/game through his company. Meaning he has that standing to lose.

I may be the exception, but if I were up on him, I’d probably continue to play because of that alone. Not sure I’d let it get to the level of “a really nice car” though...

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Its all Lous fault be cause He primed him years ago. If they didnt play then this would have never happened.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You could also argue that he has a certain standing in the industry/game through his company. Meaning he has that standing to lose.

I may be the exception, but if I were up on him, I’d probably continue to play because of that alone. Not sure I’d let it get to the level of “a really nice car” though...

Generally I agree with you, but he has gone off the deep end a number of times, here and on some of the other sites - sometimes really bad - but players return to buy every case he can get made. They do that with cue makers too. He makes a great case, people want them so they'll forgive damn near anything. I've seen it over and over again.

Now he's going to have a tough time because he sells out at shows and counts on them. This is show season too. Even if the shows run during summer they will probably be sparsely attended.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sad story indeed. Gambling, to some, is a disease, but to me it's just a budget line item. I know going into every calendar year what my budget is for gambling. If I should happen to exhaust it by July, then I don't gamble again until the next January.

To all who choose to gamble, even heavily, make sure gambling is a line item on your annual budget, so that you always know in advance what your maximum action can be and so you have a built in stopping point.

Good luck to John in rebounding from this setback. I see no reason for any of us (other than those who are now owed money by him) to pass judgement here, or worse, delight in his hardship.

Another sharp gambler once told me to never bet more than 2% of my bankroll on any one bet. So if I have 100K the most I'll play for is 2,000 at any one time. In poker it is considered wise to have 1,000 times the big bet to play in any medium to high limit game on a regular basis. I liked to play 15-30 Limit Hold'em, so a safe bankroll was 30K. This is a game where you can easily win or lose 1,000 in any one night, so a losing streak could cost you as much as 10,000. My best winning streak was 33 wins in a row and 39 out of 40 plays. The average win was 5-600, so you figure it out. It was a good month! :thumbup: