So Mezz has a new joint pin

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Thread pitch maybe?

Someone would have to use a thread pitch gauge to determine.
They probably changed it to have a snugger fit; however, that doesn't mean anything and is more for marketing than any real benefit. It's the joint facing that transfers the energy from shaft to butt and that's why people's largest preference deals with joint Type and Material, i.e. wood to wood, flat faced, insert, etc... Those are the things that affect feel.

Jaden

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The below was taken from a comment found within the "Mezz & Exceed Cue Fans" FB group:

"...the material of the thread inside the shaft has changed. thread is now NOT wooden but made from phenolic (or something synthetic similar to phenolic) material in order NOT to change through the years like in some occasions it was observed with wood. Because wood is a softer material and over time, some threads in some shafts were observed to become slightly looser than they originally were when came out of the factory.
The tread material, thread depth and the pin diameter have also changed in order to offer a better feeling/feedback while hitting the cue ball. At least according to the experts and technology developers"

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They probably changed it to have a snugger fit; however, that doesn't mean anything and is more for marketing than any real benefit. It's the joint facing that transfers the energy from shaft to butt and that's why people's largest preference deals with joint Type and Material, i.e. wood to wood, flat faced, insert, etc... Those are the things that affect feel.

Jaden

The original Wavy joint had a pretty tight fit already, we had a cue with one for a bit.

JC

Coos Cues
The below was taken from a comment found within the "Mezz & Exceed Cue Fans" FB group:

"...the material of the thread inside the shaft has changed. thread is now NOT wooden but made from phenolic (or something synthetic similar to phenolic) material in order NOT to change through the years like in some occasions it was observed with wood. Because wood is a softer material and over time, some threads in some shafts were observed to become slightly looser than they originally were when came out of the factory.
The tread material, thread depth and the pin diameter have also changed in order to offer a better feeling/feedback while hitting the cue ball. At least according to the experts and technology developers"
Better feeling/feedback from the pin being changed in diameter slightly? 🤣

Can these "experts and technology developers" play even a lick?

It's moronic is what it is. If someone gifted a mez I would get a restraining order against them.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Better feeling/feedback from the pin being changed in diameter slightly? 🤣

Can these "experts and technology developers" play even a lick?

It's moronic is what it is. If someone gifted a mez I would get a restraining order against them.
Haters going to hate as they say. I love the feel of my Exceed. I give credit to the way they handle the joint/pin.

If anyone was going to gift JC a mezz but are now concerned about the possible restraining order. I'll happily give them the shipping costs to my location ;)

Reactions: JC

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Being an innovator in the pool world myself, I'll say I only like to do things that can actually help. However, that being said, Mezz definitely makes a good product and in all likelihood, it's a good marketing strategy. Time will tell.

Jaden

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
They don't want owners of older mezz cues to upgrade their cues with new shafts. Simple really, but sleazy too.
I guess when they have a newer tech shaft that's only available in this new joint pin type, that thought may hold water.

Currently Mezz offers the wx900 (for example) in the following pin types:
  • United
  • Wavy
  • 3/8-10
  • 3/8-11
  • 5/16-14
  • 5/16-18
  • Uni-Loc
  • Radial
If you would perfer their latest offering of the Ignite CF. Then you still have all the above options plus the new 'Wavy 2'.

Doesn't strike me as a company forcing their customers into conforming into anything particular....lol

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I emailed MezzUSA and this is their response as to fit: "The difference is in the minor diameter and the wave shape. Pin length, major and pitch are all the same. Because the minor is smaller the W2 shaft will not fit the W1 butts." I sent another msg asking just why they did this. See what they say. I heard that the new pin is a better fit with the new phenolic threads in the shafts. I'm no engineer so i don't know if that holds water.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I emailed MezzUSA and this is their response as to fit: "The difference is in the minor diameter and the wave shape. Pin length, major and pitch are all the same. Because the minor is smaller the W2 shaft will not fit the W1 butts."
If I'm following that correctly, then the mod to get a new W2 thread to screw onto a W1 butt, would be to bore the shaft so the minors match. That would be a fairly easy mod for anyone with a lathe. Not that it appears to be necessary as their shafts all have options for a multitude of pin styles/pitches.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I emailed MezzUSA and this is their response as to fit: "The difference is in the minor diameter and the wave shape. Pin length, major and pitch are all the same. Because the minor is smaller the W2 shaft will not fit the W1 butts." I sent another msg asking just why they did this. See what they say. I heard that the new pin is a better fit with the new phenolic threads in the shafts. I'm no engineer so i don't know if that holds water.
Good info here. I happen to be one that believes in new technologic improvements no matter how small they may seem. Now we have carbon fiber shafts and yet some still do not like them while others do. I also remember hickory shaft golf clubs that I used as a kid, they are gone. S.o things change and some are willing to change and others are not. I may also not find any significant improvement but if I never try I will never know for myself..

I look forward to hearing if they reply with any more info or not... Thanks for sharing the info garczar!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good info here. I happen to be one that believes in new technologic improvements no matter how small they may seem. Now we have carbon fiber shafts and yet some still do not like them while others do. I also remember hickory shaft golf clubs that I used as a kid, they are gone. S.o things change and some are willing to change and others are not. I may also not find any significant improvement but if I never try I will never know for myself..

I look forward to hearing if they reply with any more info or not... Thanks for sharing the info garczar!
The question that a LOT of Mezz owners are asking is whether or not this new pin was really necessary. Could the W1 pin not mate well with the phenolic threads?? Radial pins are used with both wood and synthetic threads without issue. Their explanation that they are 'future proofing' their shafts and the greater usage of cf doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to me anyway.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question that a LOT of Mezz owners are asking is whether or not this new pin was really necessary. Could the W1 pin not mate well with the phenolic threads?? Radial pins are used with both wood and synthetic threads without issue. Their explanation that they are 'future proofing' their shafts and the greater usage of cf doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to me anyway.
I guess Mezz thought it was due to some older cues being looser than they thought acceptable from the wood changing in the joint. As far as it mating well with other configurations I suspect that may be due to the wood in the shaft. Wood seems more likely to change when exposed to conditions like heat and humidity. There are quite a few interested people asking when they can get them in the US so Mezz USA must be fielding quite a number of inquiries worldwide for this set up, so in time we will all hear from owners of this new joint setup.. Till then I will sit back and see what develops.. While I applaud their efforts at this time I don't feel the need to jump in just yet, maybe later...

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I guess Mezz thought it was due to some older cues being looser than they thought acceptable from the wood changing in the joint. As far as it mating well with other configurations I suspect that may be due to the wood in the shaft. Wood seems more likely to change when exposed to conditions like heat and humidity. There are quite a few interested people asking when they can get them in the US so Mezz USA must be fielding quite a number of inquiries worldwide for this set up, so in time we will all hear from owners of this new joint setup.. Till then I will sit back and see what develops.. While I applaud their efforts at this time I don't feel the need to jump in just yet, maybe later...
If they used 3/8 10 or 11 flat bottom with inserts, they'd have no problems .

Attachments

• DSC03384.JPG
    DSC03384.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 94

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really really really wanted to buy a mezz cue as my playing cue, but I ended up buying a predator just because of Mezz's proprietary joints. I wanted to be able to experiment with different shafts without sending them to a cue maker to customize. This newer style of joint just reaffirms my decision to go with something more universal.

Reactions: JC

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was pretty disappointed when I got the email from Mezz about the pin change. The explanation about shafts now is threaded phenolic etc. Is just a poor excuse. It reminds me of when Tiger switched from Radial to their proprietary 3/8-9 ACME pin.