So what's the deal with glove hatred in the pool room?

syphinhex

Registered
I bought a couple Poison billiards gloves, I think they look pretty cool, they keep me from getting chalk on myself/clothes, I don't have to run my hand over a chalk block that thousands of people have touched and probably the best part is I've noticed a slight improvement on shot control.

Yet it's commonly shunned, first I've seen on these forums and then in actual pool rooms, etc. So what's the deal? Why do people hate them/the people wearing them so much?

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody hate glove users :) If you wear a glove, the people in poolroom will say you are a pro.

syphinhex

Registered
Nobody hate glove users :) If you wear a glove, the people in poolroom will say you are a pro.

Probably not after they've seen me play but I'm getting better. haha I don't know though, I've just seen a lot of negativity about them--had some looks in pool halls, etc. while wearing them the past couple weeks I've been using them. I just thought it was weird, like looking down on a first baseman or catcher for using specialized mits.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Probably not after they've seen me play but I'm getting better. haha I don't know though, I've just seen a lot of negativity about them--had some looks in pool halls, etc. while wearing them the past couple weeks I've been using them. I just thought it was weird, like looking down on a first baseman or catcher for using specialized mits.

When anyone gives you a hard time about it, you might refer them to Shane Van Boening or John Schmidt for some cheap sets.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
when a mid-level or lower player uses a glove, some people think you are taking yourself or the game too serious or that you were a sucker for buying into this gimmick.

but if they ever see SVB or similar playing with one, they would all probably want to go buy one for themselves.

Typically, these 'glove haters' are the same guys who will chide you for playing a safety or even using a bridge (they call them granny-sticks). :rolleyes:

I say, good for you for trying to improve your game.

I always have a glove in my bag for that rare occasion when it's real humid and powder isn't working very well.

best,
brian kc

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never used a glove but I'm surprised they're not more common. Seems it would offer added consistency to your stroke and bridge. Maybe it's just because they look so funny with only two fingers but if it was the norm nobody would give it much thought.

syphinhex

Registered
When anyone gives you a hard time about it, you might refer them to Shane Van Boening or Mike Schmidt for some cheap sets.

Oh no one has actually said anything--I've just read some posts where people say negative things about them and like I said, noticed a few looks. I just didn't know if there was something about them I was unaware of. I actually watched that guy play not too long ago, he's quite masterful with a cue. :)

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
The only glove I think I ever really hated was the Michael Jackson glittery one. It was silly, superficial nonsense when MJ wore it. It was completely absurd, mindless idolatry when fans did.

I will wear a pool glove when it's hot and humid. If the air is dry, I don't. And no, I don't have any problem adjusting.

Rasputin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a sworn glove user, and yes, I confirm we are all definitely gay. No doubt about that.

That is no reason for discrimination or hatred, though.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I don't care for them personally. When I've tried one I don't like that I can't really feel the shaft, but hey, whatever turns your crank, some of the best players in the world wear a hand panty.
I think we all have a vice. My friends make fun of me because I purchase and use a certain kind of chalk and I don't just take the Masters from the table. Hope that doesn't make me gay, maybe bi...