So who was (is) the Greatest Player ever ?

jspence91

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren best all around without a doubt

Earl had the highest gear for 9 ball
Mosconi - Straight pool
Efren - One pocket
Ronnie O - Snooker

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren would be my choice for all around, but I never saw Worst.

And for 9-ball, Mike Sigel was winning everything even when Earl was early in his prime. It wasn't until Sigel looked ready to quit the game when Earl started to shine. And Efren in his own prime prior to becoming Mr. One Hole never beat Sigel in any finals. Some of you have zero idea just how good Sigel was.

Since someone went out of the pool world and decided to pull the Ray Ceulemans card (and a most powerful card that is), then the Walter Lindrum card, IMO, trumps it. And not by a little.

Freddie <~~~ let's talk about bocce champions

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren, but does anyone know why he hasn't run 1000 in straight pool, a game he obviously eschews?

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I gotta agree with cornerman. Efren has my vote but Mike Sigel seems to be forgotten about. Some people have only seen him on the IPT when Efren torched him in 8 ball for the 500k first prize. In Sigels hayday, he was as dominate as any player, ever.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who was (is) it?? We'll need some historians to step up and help out. This one is out of my knowledge base. Who is the Ruth, Nicklaus of Pool? Answers with facts would be best.

Just one Google search spat out 10 different names. If so records would have to have a lot of weight.

How do you define "best"? Most world championships? In what game? Most tournament wins? In what game? Most money won? That depends on the decade since they had $1,000 prizes 50 years ago and $1,000 prizes now which is not close to the same amount.

Best player period as far as pocketing balls and playing position? Tough to sort out which is why you have 10 names. There is no single "best" you can pick.

If you go buy who the fans and the players think is the best, Efren would probably be the pick, overall in cue sports.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who was (is) it?? We'll need some historians to step up and help out. This one is out of my knowledge base. Who is the Ruth, Nicklaus of Pool? Answers with facts would be best.

Just one Google search spat out 10 different names. If so records would have to have a lot of weight.

Nick Varner - in 1989, he won more pro tournaments in a row than any other pro in history.

1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 MPBA Brunswick World Championship
1989 Rak'em Up 9-Ball Classic
1989 Knoxville 9-Ball Open
1989 Governors Cup 9-Ball
1989 Glass City Open 9-Ball
1989 Sand Regent 9-Ball Open
1989 Golden 8-Ball Invitational
1989 Scranton Open 9-Ball
1989 Lexington All Star Open
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner

Nick Varner - in 1989, he won more pro tournaments in a row than any other pro in history.

1989 US Open 9-Ball
1989 MPBA Brunswick World Championship
1989 Rak'em Up 9-Ball Classic
1989 Knoxville 9-Ball Open
1989 Governors Cup 9-Ball
1989 Glass City Open 9-Ball
1989 Sand Regent 9-Ball Open
1989 Golden 8-Ball Invitational
1989 Scranton Open 9-Ball
1989 Lexington All Star Open
1989 Akron Open 9-Ball

Nick Varner is so down to earth that when I called his store he got on the phone like he was just some completely regular guy. After a couple minutes, I realized who the hell I was talking to and asked "is this Nick Varner?" I think he was surprised I knew who he was, just a nice down to earth guy, another great I remember from espn in the 80's when they showed pool it seems weekly.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren all around all time and over the longest period of time without a sliver of a doubt

highest gears...Sigel and Earl

Ronnie in snooker has the highest gear by far but Stephen Hendry had more success and was more dominant

Appleton, Dennis, and Shane are the three guys at the moment but if Chinese 8 ball continues to grow Daz will surpass them quick

Alex P is young enough to finish with more titles than the current batch and also beat em all and if Mark Selby continues in pool, watch out

Carom is so hard to compare to pocket billiards plus the talent pool is tiny in comparison, but I'll throw Torbjörn Blomdahl into the mix

wouldn't be surprised if there's some unknown russian pyramid monsters out there either that could shot pool at the highest levels

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure there is any way to decide who is or was the best, but they only thing that matters is wins. I don't know the answer, but who has the most tournament wins?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
there's many like Nick that are down to earth and have been quite successful in life.

Nick Varner is so down to earth that when I called his store he got on the phone like he was just some completely regular guy. After a couple minutes, I realized who the hell I was talking to and asked "is this Nick Varner?" I think he was surprised I knew who he was, just a nice down to earth guy, another great I remember from espn in the 80's when they showed pool it seems weekly.

Yes, Nick is often overlooked, and played ever game as well as anyone. Still to this very day he can out-move just about anyone playing one-pocket.

When people talk poorly about "pro pool players" it's a shame because there's many like Nick that are down to earth and have been quite successful in life.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure there is any way to decide who is or was the best, but they only thing that matters is wins. I don't know the answer, but who has the most tournament wins?

Mike Sigel has won over 100 professional tournaments.
mike-sigel.jpg

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say Efren is best ever.
Sigel is best tournament player probably.. I believe his winning percentage is over 90% at 70s and 80s in pro tournament finals..
Think about it.. Playing against another super strong opponents at finals and winning 9 times of 10. Wow!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing comes to my mind.. Efren said many times he plays for money. Not trophies. And how many times he won tournaments where is "Biggest money ever"
He's killer instincts need stimulation I guess...

Edit: He also outplayed Strickland at Earl best game,9-ball race to 120 and behind 17 games at late state of race... For 100k
And Earl had played whole set like a God!

Last edited:

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Rotation: earl or efren maybe Shane eventually
Straight pool: obviously mosconi
Banks: Eddie Taylor or bugs
One pocket: efren
Three cushion: Willie hoppe (I'm probably wrong here though)
Snooker: Ronnie o
All around: probably efren

I am going to use your template here, Crow:

Rotation (the full 15 balls) - Efren Reyes in the 1970s
Straight Pool: Ralph Greenleaf (then preceded by Willie Mosconi)
Banks: I agree, the "Knoxville Bear" Taylor as well as "Bugs" Rucker...
One Pocket: no contest; Efren Reyes
Carom Billiards: Raymond Ceulemans & Frederic Caudron... Torbjorn Blomdahl excells in Three-Cushion, but that is his only specialty... I like all-around
English Billiards (nobody mentions that one) - Walter Lindrum
Snooker - Stephen Hendry & Ronnie O'Sullivan

All Around (believe it or not) - Walter Lindrum & Efren Reyes

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Something to take note...

What you all need to keep in mind is how "easy" the pockets and the tables were, back in those days. It is not how things are in our present day, where we are shot-making and positioning every single shot with deeper shelves and more narrow edges in pockets than back then - much less using jump cues in our disposal. So give respect to that aspect of the game from the early 2000s and past.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Asian players of old

Efren Reyes...

Is there really much debate?

Sadly, Americans didn't even know that they played pool in Asia until Efren came to the US. There were great masters across the ponds long before the days of Efren and the other pinoys.

There are reasons for this that I dare not go into on AZ.

Mooneye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Hoppe has to up near the top. He won 51 World Titles in several different carom and billiard games from 1906 to 1952. That's a pretty good run...