So who was (is) the Greatest Player ever ?

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harold Worst always comes to my mind.....
...although he didn't live long enough to make it indisputable.

And I ignore the Billiards Digest top 50

Will have to agree with this opinion. Have read that Harold Worst was an absolute monster player. It has been said that the best players of his time would never want any part of his action.That is strong. I dont see anybody today afraid of anyone. Among the best today, anyone may be on top any given day.

Anybody ever read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell? Was there a era that was conducive to outstanding play, maybe it was Efren and Earls hey day. Gladwell says it takes 10,000 hours to master anything but he also explains why certain time frames offer ideal conditions for success, ie Bill Gates and Steve Jobs being born around the same time and Pro Hockey Players being born in a certain time of year. If you don't get this concept do not respond, just wondering. My guess is one pocket players will respond to this post. THx

I have pondered this before. Why does gladwell believe when you were born to be important?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the current rules are diluted and luck plays a big factor.

Will have to agree with this opinion. Have read that Harold Worst was an absolute monster player. It has been said that the best players of his time would never want any part of his action.That is strong. I dont see anybody today afraid of anyone. Among the best today, anyone may be on top any given day.

Did Harold Worst ever play one game of "one foul" pool? Or did he play by the original rules of pocket billiards.

This is the difference in dominance, the current rules are diluted and luck plays a big factor.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sadly, Americans didn't even know that they played pool in Asia until Efren came to the US. There were great masters across the ponds long before the days of Efren and the other pinoys.

There are reasons for this that I dare not go into on AZ.

U mm... Americans brought pool to the Philippines. But I think I know what you mean.

Last edited:

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a records guy fella's. Records should lead the pack. Nicklaus and Federer by far the best for example. Arguments otherwise don't hold water.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order to determine the greatest player ever, I think you should consider only players who have not taken performance-enhancing drugs. The drug-takers were cheaters.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Harold Worst always comes to my mind.....
...although he didn't live long enough to make it indisputable.

And I ignore the Billiards Digest top 50

I think I saw a YouTube video of Ronnie Allen telling about Harold Worst. It was a very interesting video and a great story of a man who loved pool and made playing his last dying wish. I think it has a great potential for a movie sort of like The Last Samauri . You could her the respect in his words and the mans record though short was amazing.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is meant to be for pool games, but for carom games one shouldn't ignore Frederic Caudron. He has won more than 200 titles, and is currently the best all-around carom player without question. See http://www.caudron.info/achievements/. In 2007 he entered all six events in the Belgian championships and went undefeated winning all six.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hm. Tough question. I'm gonna have to go with efren. The guy is a threat at any game involving a table. My favorite player to watch though is buddy hall.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is meant to be for pool games, but for carom games one shouldn't ignore Frederic Caudron. He has won more than 200 titles, and is currently the best all-around carom player without question. See http://www.caudron.info/achievements/. In 2007 he entered all six events in the Belgian championships and went undefeated winning all six.

Fascinating sport but definitely has different Champions,

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hm. Tough question. I'm gonna have to go with efren. The guy is a threat at any game involving a table. My favorite player to watch though is buddy hall.

I never studied the Sport, just played it,. So I don't know who I'd pick yet but Efren would be in my top 5. Great entertainer and gracious man. He has no fear of a table and it's poetry in action.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well....

If we took Efren in his prime and every one else in there prime and had them play 8 and 9 Ball and One Pocket for a year my money would be on Efren as the best all around player. You might even be able to add 10 Ball and 15 Ball rotation into that mix. No one player could dominate all of it if you toss in snooker and 3 Cushion. Efren in his prime was great.