Some cue repair customers.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I didn't start this thread to complain, only to relate what I think is a bit of a funny story about customers.

There is a league player, lets say that he is quite loud when he gets drunk at league.
I don't fade drunken loudness all that much anyway so there was a wedge right off the bat.

Every time this guys sees me, he starts woofing about me putting a tip on a shaft for him. I just keep mentioning that he should put his shaft in his bag and give it to me the next time around. Never happens.

He wants an Elk Master. When a new customer inquires about a re tip, I usually ask them what type of tip they like etc to get a feel of what I can offer. I make a couple of suggestions.

I mentioned to this guy from what he told me that a Milk Dud would probably suit him better than an Elk Master.

Nope, he is also a know it all in all things so he won't listen or take any other suggestions. Fine with me, you want an Elk Master, an Elk Master is what you'll get.

Well, a week ago, we were both playing in a Sat singles tourney and the woofing begins again. I'm already tired of hearing about it by now.

He suggests that I drive out to his shop in an industrial area to pick up his shaft work on it, and of course, deliver it back.

I told him that it was a ten mile return trip and I wasn't going to spend 20 bucks worth of fuel and my time for a 15 dollar job.

He then said that I could have a couple of drinks with him.

Alcohol generally isn't a huge incentive in my life to do anything anyway. I mentioned that if I wanted to have a drink, I would do it at home and didn't need to drive ten miles to have one.

I'm definitely not shy of drinking cold beer but I like to choose who I do it with. I doubt that I could suffer this know it all for long enuff to glug one down.

He looked at me and said, "oh my God, I can't believe that you don't want to do this".

I told him to get a hold of Vic, the other repair guy and he will fix you up. I also told him that Vic will be more than willing to pick up and deliver, but for a charge.

God, I hope that I don't run into this guy again, I know I will but hope not soon.

He is just one person that I know for 15 bucks will cause you more grief than 15 is worth.

My sad story for the day.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Lol
They are all over Terry
I don't mind taking something with me from the hall,
But I don't pick up and deliver
I barely tolerate picking up 30 bar cues and dropping them back off

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
If you picked up and dropped off repair work all over "town" you would be working for gas and not much else.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you picked up and dropped off repair work all over "town" you would be working for gas and not much else.

^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^
:thumbup:

If you live in a city, it can be worse, but occasionally for a good, repeat customer, sure, I take the repair to them.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night, I called by the local pool hall and changed out some tips for them.
Lets me see how they are going.
Got a couple of repairs to add to the list.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rider

you lucky that he did not bring his own tip, and want you to deduct the tip price from the total

RBC

Deceased
I have 8 employees, who all play pool locally. Pretty much all of them get asked on a regular basis to take a shaft back to the shop for a new tip or some other work. I pretty much don't allow it. Not even if the employee doesn't mind. The truth of the matter is it's all about liability. What happens if someones cue is lost or damaged during this transaction? Not to mention that the same customer who wants you to take it for the repair, will also expect you to show up where they will be when they need it next.

I'm also here at the shop most weekends, and often late at night. You would be absolutely amazed at when the phone rings. I've seen the same number call 5 or 6 times in a row at midnight on a weekend.

Our shop is in an industrial area, and by fire code I have to have emergency contact information posted by my door. One Sunday morning, at about 8:30, my cell rings and I don't recognize the number. When I answer it's a woman and she asks if this is OB Cues. I explain that it's not, but that I own OB Cues and this is my cell phone. I ask how she came to have the number. She told me that she is outside my shop right now and I need to open the door so she can get a new tip. I told her I was at home as it was a Sunday and that the shop was closed. I asked again how she came to have this number. She told me it was on the door. I thought about it for a second and realized she was talking about the emergency contact information. I told her that contact information was for emergencies like the building being on fire. She told me that she needed a tip, and that was an emergency! I told her we open at 8:00 am on Monday.

The world if full of all kinds of people! I guess that's what makes it so great.

Royce Bunnell

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
royce agree 100%

friends are always wanting me to take their jewelry from the bar or party somewhere and take it to the store for repairs, " oh just take fix it and give it back next time i see you " so i should walk around with k's of jewelery in my pocket making deliveries. never again, you want the damn stuff repaired least is YOU make an effort to bring it to my store

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
friends are always wanting me to take their jewelry from the bar or party somewhere and take it to the store for repairs, " oh just take fix it and give it back next time i see you " so i should walk around with k's of jewelery in my pocket making deliveries. never again, you want the damn stuff repaired least is YOU make an effort to bring it to my store

I take care of my buddies cues for free or tips at cost,
The only caveat is they have to come over, I don't take them home for free work :)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I told her that contact information was for emergencies like the building being on fire. She told me that she needed a tip, and that was an emergency!

Hahaha, womens got all the angles.

I know that you wouldn't have said it but, Leave it in the mail box and I will get it on Monday.

Sure, if someone gives me their cue at league, I always take it and will bring it back the next time they play. Even if they are playing at a different bar, I will usually arrange to drop it off on the way to our game. Small city so most of the bars that we play in are fairly close together.

I don't charge team mates. My one mate gave me a 1/4 Elk and this year 12 pounds of Moose for sausage. I've replaced his tips before but I told him that he just got himself a lifetime supply of tip installs.

Funny thing is, I try to be a good guy most of the time, Golden Rule and such. If this guy wasn't a loud mouth drunk and a know it all, I may have considered taking him up on it.

Last edited:

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Im building a cue for a customer, I send him a pic of the forearm turned down after gluing the points. Two days later he starts texting me for more "fresh pics". REALLY ?!! And its not just that he asks two days after a step is completed but its after 11pm at night !!! :banghead::bash: