Sometimes you lose when you win

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Maybe I won't get a new set of dentures. Efren says he shoots better w/o them:). Maybe when the wife settles down and stops saying, "what the f*** were you thinking? Every 10 minutes." she'll spring for the new dentures. I doubt she wants to be seen with me w/o them. She comes from the snobby side of the tracks. Johnnyt

Sorry to hear about that bad luck.....but on the wife going on about it aspect got to say they're all the same and some of us deal with them different from others. Hope this story about one of my buddies and his wife will cheer you up....

About 10 years ago home in Scotland on a leave trip I was in our rugby club with about 10 of the guys on a Sunday lunchtime shooting some pool and having a few beers when in walks one of our really big bad ass ex players with a horrible scowl on his face, he orders a beer and the scowl gets worse as he sits down, he's not saying anything, so the conversation goes like this...

"So what's wrong with your sour face big man, the cat died?"

"It's HER, she's a waste of space she is"

"You mean the wife, what's she done now?"

'Well she came home from work unexpected and caught me porking her best friend on the living room carpet"

.....Silence, followed by some laughter and an embarrassed couple of voices saying......

"Well big man, she's got a bit of a point there, being annoyed and that...."

"Fair enough" he says, "but that was TWO WEEKS ago and she's STILL going on and on about it!"

:)...he was being deadly serious too, mad as a march hare....:)

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
i would have definitely sat in the parking lot to see what car he drives. 4 new tires would have made up for the other $20.

somms69

escape artist
Silver Member
Just an observation...

Holding my speed...probably not enough. Johnnyt
Not knocking Jt, but if you only managed to play nine games of barbox 9ball in an hour or so then I'm not sure how much more you could play off and still come out winners. Hope it works out better next time.

D C 6 Pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well hustling and my way too big of a mouth for a little guy caught up to me today. A friend of mine (not any more) told me about a bar that had plenty of $10, $20, and up action. He said there were only a few, if any in the bar that could beat me on a bar table.

I drive down there, see it’s in a bad area, but go in anyway. It took me all of 20 minutes to hook-up with a guy playing $20 a game 9-ball. An hour or so later I’m up $120 and the guy I’m playing is all kinds of pissed off and big. I break the balls, make the one in the side and have a perfect 2-9 combo in the corner. As soon as the 9-ball dropped (before I given got out of my stance) wham with a fist right in the jaw. I go down on my knees hitting the table with my mouth on the way down. I started to get up, but then realized I was pretty dizzy and he was young and big, and I was little and old, so I stayed down in praying mode.

The bartender came over and told me to get the hell out of the bar; he said they didn’t like hustlers in there. I picked myself up staggered to my car and sat there looking at my gun. After a few minutes I put it away and drove home to listen to a bunch of crap from the wife that was worse than the beating. So now for $120 (never got the other $20 for the last combo, and didn’t ask either) I need a new set of dentures for $1000. Makes sense to me. Sometimes when you win you, you lose. Johnnyt

I'm not sure what makes it harder to live with...........that I didn't see it comming or that I didn't do anything about it.

I can remember 3 unplesant expierences from my days on the road in the late 60's, 1 involved seeing a man get shot over a $1.00 8 ball game, 1 involved Robert LeBlanc (Cotton) and I getting tied up and robbed in Corpus Cristi TX and 1 where this large construction worker told my friend that ask him to move so he could shoot his shot told my friend, " I guess you'll have to shoot another shot", which he did and made the kick and the construction worker picked the bar table end about a foot off the ground, droped it, looked at my friend and said, "You want to shoot again?.......we ran out.

What I got out of those years on the road was.........booze and pool don't mix. Hope you are feeling better!!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
i would have definitely sat in the parking lot to see what car he drives. 4 new tires would have made up for the other $20.

I have a Jamacian friend that knows who it is...he will take care of it in time. Johnnyt

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
I have a Jamacian friend that knows who it is...he will take care of it in time. Johnnyt

awesome johnny. i would have kicked open the door and pepper sprayed the place with a couple cans and booked. f up everyone elses day too. i like the way you think though.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that Johnny, you didn't deserve it.

This is my favorite pool fight story from Tom Ferry

When I was about 20, I was playing pool every night on a 3X6 bar table close to my house. One Friday night I beat this fellow out of $60 and he said he was broke but asked me if I would take a check. I said sure. I won another $50 and he gave me a check. I cashed the check at a grocery store and it came back on Thursday, NSF. I went back to the bar Fri night and the fellow came in about the same time he always did on Fri nights. I USED to think I was a tough guy, so I got really pissed at him and asked him to step out back in the alley. He said, I have your $50 (cash) right here but if that’s what you want, OK.
As soon as we closed the back door, I got hit so many times, so hard, that I thought I was fighting at least 3 guys. This went on for almost 30 seconds and I found myself on my hands & knees with him coming at me like he was going to kick my head like a football kickoff.
VERY LUCKELY - I saw a 2X4 that was being used to keep an old derelict car from rolling anywhere. I grabbed it and took a wild swing at him as he came in to kick me. I caught him Right Square on the chin and I remember seeing his jaw looking like it was coming off his face.
The fight was over and we both agreed to go across the street to St. Luke's Hospital to get repaired. I had about 25 stitches (only 3 at any one place) and he had his broken jaw set and wired shut.
We both went back to the bar, sat & bought each other beers and became good friends. During our conversation, I found out what he did for a living.
HE WAS THE JUDO & KARATE INSTRUCTOR AT A LOCAL HEALTH CLUB (Norm Sanders) WE USED TO HAVE HERE IN ST. LOUIS.
That was THE END of me thinking I was a "Touch-Hog".

That was 39 years ago and that’s the way fights were. No guns, knifes or lasting feuds. Just do it, get it out of your system and win, lose or draw, IT'S OVER!

TY & GL

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Man, thats funny and scary at the same time. I had a similar experience with a brown belt one night. I still sport a hole in my mouth where a tooth should be. I went to the dentist to have the broken tooth extracted and the dentist took a wild guess, "Talking when you should have been listening" he said.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
great story and a link to more

That is a great story. For those that don't notice the whole message is a hotlink to a great thread too.

Tom Ferry (oldhasbeen) was one of the best posters ever on AZB. I might have met him once. Before I got around to talking to him about it he passed away so I'll never know.

Hu

Sorry to hear that Johnny, you didn't deserve it.

This is my favorite pool fight story from Tom Ferry

When I was about 20, I was playing pool every night on a 3X6 bar table close to my house. One Friday night I beat this fellow out of $60 and he said he was broke but asked me if I would take a check. I said sure. I won another $50 and he gave me a check. I cashed the check at a grocery store and it came back on Thursday, NSF. I went back to the bar Fri night and the fellow came in about the same time he always did on Fri nights. I USED to think I was a tough guy, so I got really pissed at him and asked him to step out back in the alley. He said, I have your $50 (cash) right here but if that’s what you want, OK.
As soon as we closed the back door, I got hit so many times, so hard, that I thought I was fighting at least 3 guys. This went on for almost 30 seconds and I found myself on my hands & knees with him coming at me like he was going to kick my head like a football kickoff.
VERY LUCKELY - I saw a 2X4 that was being used to keep an old derelict car from rolling anywhere. I grabbed it and took a wild swing at him as he came in to kick me. I caught him Right Square on the chin and I remember seeing his jaw looking like it was coming off his face.
The fight was over and we both agreed to go across the street to St. Luke's Hospital to get repaired. I had about 25 stitches (only 3 at any one place) and he had his broken jaw set and wired shut.
We both went back to the bar, sat & bought each other beers and became good friends. During our conversation, I found out what he did for a living.
HE WAS THE JUDO & KARATE INSTRUCTOR AT A LOCAL HEALTH CLUB (Norm Sanders) WE USED TO HAVE HERE IN ST. LOUIS.
That was THE END of me thinking I was a "Touch-Hog".

That was 39 years ago and that’s the way fights were. No guns, knifes or lasting feuds. Just do it, get it out of your system and win, lose or draw, IT'S OVER!

TY & GL

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Update. Just got a phone call that some stranger:rolleyes: beat hell out of the guy that decked my ass. Real sorry to hear that. Let's do the math..Won $120...dentures about $1200...need to find that stranger and pay him $500=lost $1580 on the deal+ a little pain, but I feel much, much better now. This is one of my plans that DIDN'T come together. Johnnyt

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Update. Just got a phone call that some stranger:rolleyes: beat hell out of the guy that decked my ass. Real sorry to hear that. Let's do the math..Won $120...dentures about $1200...need to find that stranger and pay him $500=lost $1580 on the deal+ a little pain, but I feel much, much better now. This is one of my plans that DIDN'T come together. Johnnyt

Nothing like karma to bite someone in the butt even if it needs a little assistance sometimes! :D

Hu

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow Johnny, all these stories in just a matter of weeks! Sounds like you win the action award this year. Maybe you should be on the next TAR ppv. :rolleyes:

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that's certainly how I rank myself in the world, by my az rep. At least I don't get on here and waste everyone's time for 7,000+ posts.