South West consistency

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, so about a week or so ago I got to hit with a South West cue for the first time. I immediately fell in love with the hit. So I have been on the hunt for one. Well I think I have possibly found one that I want to buy.

But, this week I was talking with the guy who owns the South West I tried and he was telling me they all hit the same from his experience. Another friend of mine chimed in saying that they are all really different feeling and a guy he knew only bought one after he found the one he liked best.

So I was wondering how consistent is the feel of South West's cues? Because I'm really hoping they all feel similar.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they are very consistent. That being said different wood combinations are gonna hit a little differently.
For example, a gaboon ebony forearm does not hit like Pauferro.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they are very consistent. That being said different wood combinations are gonna hit a little differently.
For example, a gaboon ebony forearm does not hit like Pauferro.

The one I tried was BEM forearm and the one I'm looking at getting is BEM forearm as well, it just has points and a different type of wood handle instead of solid BEM.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
I've owned several South Wests. I think the hit is pretty consistent in every one of them. I think the parabolic taper has something to do with it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The one I tried was BEM forearm and the one I'm looking at getting is BEM forearm as well, it just has points and a different type of wood handle instead of solid BEM.

Aren't both handles straight grain maple ?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The handle on the one I hit with was birdseye maple and the one I'm looking at buying the handle is purpleheart.

Purpleheart will amp the BEM maple hit.
Ppleheart is much more dense .
They would not need to add more weight to make the butt weigh around 15 oz.
Maple to maple only weighs around 13+ oz or so ( butt only ).

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along the lines of dem sinetisses, is a cue's feel in fact it's harmonic signature? IOW all the different wood combinations vibrate differently giving the user some aesthetic spread; therefore preference?

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont own any , ive played with my friends at his house , hes got serious butt love for SW . hes got like 7 , to me they hit bout the same , but YMMV . he is always saving up to but them when they pop up . i dont buy into the SW hype and the inflated wait times to build .

now someone mentioned rick howard , the one i borrowed from friend i love the howard .

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I owned a Southwest and hit with about 7 of them, all different wood types. They all were different. I didn't find them consistent at all-

-dj

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I have some sw's currently and have had a fair amount over the years and will agree with the guys who say they are very consistent but yes, different wood choices will provide subtle differences in feel.

some have mentioned other makers you can buy instead who are much cheaper and have similar hits to sw, I can also suggest one, that being Jeff Olney, but imo, there's no good reason not to buy a sw as long as you buy a nice one at a fair price you will always be able to get your $$$ back, or a good portion of it.

gl

best,
brian kc

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues may feel similar due to being constructed with similar techniques and the same woods but they won't ever be exact. The nature of wood is not exact. That may be what sets carbon fibre cues apart someday. Much simpler to do with a manmade product. I also believe most top tier cue builders have produced spectacular cues and a dog or two during their careers. It goes back to the wood not their construction. I love the feel of rosewood cues for that reason. Just suits my taste in feel of hit..

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one. Didnt really love it so i sold it to a guy who had Ga Young (who has shot with a SW all her life except for a brief Sponsor deal period when she couldn't win anything!) hit with it at Amsterdam. She took a few shots, shook her head and put it down. The guy sold it the next week. :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would need to find same woods for the cue to have the same hit feel, and of course the shaft taper, tip and if you are lucky the wood structure has to be similar. If you are buying a SW and going to stick a different shaft on it, may as well spend $200 for a good copy of the design from Kaiser or some other cheaper brand than a real SW. There are a lot of people that buy fancy cues from makers then take off one of the main things that make the hit and performance from that maker be their own, the shaft.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would need to find same woods for the cue to have the same hit feel, and of course the shaft taper, tip and if you are lucky the wood structure has to be similar. If you are buying a SW and going to stick a different shaft on it, may as well spend $200 for a good copy of the design from Kaiser or some other cheaper brand than a real SW. There are a lot of people that buy fancy cues from makers then take off one of the main things that make the hit and performance from that maker be their own, the shaft.

Yeah, I'm going to be sticking with the south west shaft. It was the one I tried and liked better than anything I've hit with before.