Southwest Cue Wait

71dewajack

People talk about SW and resale potential. I'm sure the price varies, but what does SW charge roughly for a cue?

I have no interest, but they obviously know what they're doing to have people happily waiting for 15 years, not to mention belonging to the cool kids club.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People talk about SW and resale potential. I'm sure the price varies, but what does SW charge roughly for a cue?

I have no interest, but they obviously know what they're doing to have people happily waiting for 15 years, not to mention belonging to the cool kids club.
Laurie told me to expect to pay between $2500 - $6000 for a cue, and would discuss what woods are available, at the time cue is started.

I sold my ebony nosed Southwest to offset the cost of my Balabushka. I had in mind getting another one. But, I had a friend tell me, he had heard 3-4 years ago was $1200 extra for ebony forearm and 800 for points/butt. I also heard that ebony wasnt even an option. Mind you, neither of these points came from Laurie, just friends sharing what they knew or heard.

Ken

Last edited:

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious how the secondary breaks down, in terms of the buyers being first-time buyers or already owning one or more. It intrigues me how easily they sell on the secondary market with no shortage of them available.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
My best friend from Bangkok ordered a cue from Laurie when we visited the shop together in 2005. She shipped it to me and I delivered it to him a couple of years ago in 2019. 14 years...

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious how the secondary breaks down, in terms of the buyers being first-time buyers or already owning one or more. It intrigues me how easily they sell on the secondary market with no shortage of them available.

It’s easy to see your point until we realize that there is indeed a shortage. That’s how the prices stay so high. Moreover, a significant number of desirable SW cues leave the country and never return. These collectors also pay top dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I honestly forget I put my name on the list in 2017 until threads like this one pop up. This is probably the most fair system in this industry. You email and ask to be added To the waiting list, Laurie confirms you’re on there and that’s that. No 20 percent down. None of that until it’s your turn. When it is, they call and ask if you’re still interested. If you are not intereste/not answering your phone/dead they move on to the next person.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Been waiting 15 years for a Hercek and 13 for a Searing. Have been in touch with both guys within the last few months. Haven't spoke with Kenny in a while.

-dj

71dewajack

I honestly forget I put my name on the list in 2017 until threads like this one pop up. This is probably the most fair system in this industry. You email and ask to be added To the waiting list, Laurie confirms you’re on there and that’s that. No 20 percent down. None of that until it’s your turn. When it is, they call and ask if you’re still interested. If you are not intereste/not answering your phone/dead they move on to the next person.
I didn't know that, there's nothing to lose that way.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past, I commissioned a couple cues a year, for years. All was well and good until I paid a 25% deposit on a cue with John Showman and he quoted a 5 year wait. After 6 years no cue, I called him and now he wanted double the price of what he quoted (and took my deposit for). I learned that I was not alone, and he played this game with lots of buyers and most just ponied up the 2 or 3 times the quoted price to get their cues. After getting an attorney to send a letter, I finally got my deposit back. The nut huggers here and other places still defend John despite not knowing the details.

That pretty well killed the golden goose and I have only bought cues on the secondary market or from Rick Howard, who I consider a friend.

My other issue with these cue makers and their lists. I think it is a guide, and they will break in to build cues for folks irregardless of the list. I know this to be a fact with most cue builders and you just have to learn to live with it. It really isnt fair, but I have friends that have connections with some of the top cue makers (not Southwest) that "aren't taking orders" and have had cues done very quickly.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past, I commissioned a couple cues a year, for years. All was well and good until I paid a 25% deposit on a cue with John Showman and he quoted a 5 year wait. After 6 years no cue, I called him and now he wanted double the price of what he quoted (and took my deposit for). I learned that I was not alone, and he played this game with lots of buyers and most just ponied up the 2 or 3 times the quoted price to get their cues. After getting an attorney to send a letter, I finally got my deposit back. The nut huggers here and other places still defend John despite not knowing the details.

That pretty well killed the golden goose and I have only bought cues on the secondary market or from Rick Howard, who I consider a friend.

My other issue with these cue makers and their lists. I think it is a guide, and they will break in to build cues for folks irregardless of the list. I know this to be a fact with most cue builders and you just have to learn to live with it. It really isnt fair, but I have friends that have connections with some of the top cue makers (not Southwest) that "aren't taking orders" and have had cues done very quickly.

Best of rolls,

Ken

That is one of the many reasons why I would never purchase a custom cue again.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s easy to see your point until we realize that there is indeed a shortage. That’s how the prices stay so high. Moreover, a significant number of desirable SW cues leave the country and never return. These collectors also pay top dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point about the overseas buyers. As for a shortage, I agree the market proves there is one. My reference was more to the abundance of them for sale at any given time.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Best of rolls,

Ken

Well I honestly hate hearing of your Showman misadventure, that was simply not cool. IMHO when the price jump over the original quote, and you decided not to move forward at the higher price. That person should have shot you a check, and you should not have had to get an attorney involved.

JUST NOT COOL. IMHO

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 10 or so years ago I waited a day on my 2001 Rick Howard, 4pt/4V ebony-ivory joint/hoppe.
Didn't sleep well that night anticipating. Drove from Birmingham Al to Chattanooga Tn to buy it, 150 miles.
Super nice Az'er that goes by "Rigmaster" had it for sale. He also let me hit some with a couple Black Boars and 1 or 2 Tascarella's
Not for sale but if I ever do sell, "Ken_4fun" will have 1st option. (I've not forgotten Ken)

Last edited: