staple gun ?

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what is the best staple gun to use? I was wondering if it is necessary to use a duo fast or if I could go a little cheaper. Also if anyone could give me a tip on Valley Rails to recover. I do them well but It take me too long not good at it yet.

Dartman

Silver Member
macaframa said:
I was wondering what is the best staple gun to use? I was wondering if it is necessary to use a duo fast or if I could go a little cheaper. Also if anyone could give me a tip on Valley Rails to recover. I do them well but It take me too long not good at it yet.

I'd guess there's a wide variety of staplers used.
I personally use a craftsman light duty stapler with 1/4" staples provided the slatebacking is in good shape.
Maybe others will chime in with their weapon of choice.

The more rails you do the faster you'll get. Experience = confidence = speed.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I don't like the duo fast staplers, if you pull the cloth tight the staples will cut through. West state has a cheap manual stapler that I used for years, call them 800-266-8914. I now use a pnuematic stapler but this set-up not going to be cheaper than electric.

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I've used a Duo-fast for years and love it. There are times though on really dense wood rails that the staples want to cut through the cloth. Don't have many problems otherwise though. They are nice because you can use 1/4" to cover the rails and a 3/8" staple to attach the pockets since the leather webbing is thicker.

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the dou fast too because that is what I used when learning but now I'm going to go out on my own and starting to get my own tools But i'm not sure if I want to drop 200 hundo on a staple gun. I do know the staple gun must be pneumatic just wondering if there is a cheaper quality one. Also does anyone know where to get a cheap machinist level?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
macaframa said:
I love the dou fast too because that is what I used when learning but now I'm going to go out on my own and starting to get my own tools But i'm not sure if I want to drop 200 hundo on a staple gun. I do know the staple gun must be pneumatic just wondering if there is a cheaper quality one. Also does anyone know where to get a cheap machinist level?
Harbor Frieght sells the best pneumatic staple gun 1/2" crown that I've ever used, it's about $15 to $30 depending on if it's on sale or not.

Glen

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I have used alot of different cheap staplers and settled on the duo fast for years now untill I tried the air staplers and its the nuts. On the cheap staplers from home depot the standard arrows staples suck they twist and dont go in straight on hard woods if you search around you can find staples that have a different chisel point so the go in straight and dont twist. This way the cheapo staples can actualy work for the occassional installer.

You always get what you pay for. If you like head aches buy cheap but if your smart you can get quality at a low price.

I like Glens air stapler you can modify it so you dont cut the cloth with the stapler hard to do with an electric stapler. They are cheap enough to keep 2-3 on hand at all times when your doing a pool hall tables in bulk or just for back up when the other dies or wears out.

Craig

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
Club Billiards said:
I've used a Duo-fast for years and love it. There are times though on really dense wood rails that the staples want to cut through the cloth. Don't have many problems otherwise though. They are nice because you can use 1/4" to cover the rails and a 3/8" staple to attach the pockets since the leather webbing is thicker.
Where are you getting your staples? I used to get mine @ Home Deopt. I can't seem to find them at any of their locations now. They had the best price I have ever found.

Club Billiards

Silver Member
SlateHumper said:
Where are you getting your staples? I used to get mine @ Home Deopt. I can't seem to find them at any of their locations now. They had the best price I have ever found.

I'm having the same problem. Most of them still sell the 1/4" staples, but the only 3/8" they have are the divergent point and it actually makes them a little too long to fit in the gun. I found a place at the trade show that has a lot of mechanic supplies but instead of the $6 a box Home Depot sells them for this place wants $22 a box!!!!! So I won't mention their website here. ;) It's a shame too...my supply is about depleted. Let me know if you find someone, and I'll do the same for you.

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like i'm going buy the dou fast staple gun I'm going to try and get one on ebay. Does anyone know where to get a good deal on a 12" or 14" machinist level to get the job done?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Club Billiards said:
I'm having the same problem. Most of them still sell the 1/4" staples, but the only 3/8" they have are the divergent point and it actually makes them a little too long to fit in the gun. I found a place at the trade show that has a lot of mechanic supplies but instead of the $6 a box Home Depot sells them for this place wants $22 a box!!!!! So I won't mention their website here. ;) It's a shame too...my supply is about depleted. Let me know if you find someone, and I'll do the same for you.
Here's a little secret...LOL Sears sells them all day long:D

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just bought 4 pneumatic 1/2" crown staplers from Harbor Freight for $65.00. For the most part, seems I'm always giving them away to mechanics...LOL Item number is 46365. I'd never own another electric staple gun as long as I'm in this business, and believe me, I've owned plenty of them in the past....way back in the past...LOL

Glen

Club Billiards

Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Here's a little secret...LOL Sears sells them all day long:D

Glen

I've never seen them sell the Duo Fast brand, but they have the Stanley brand that fits for $9.99 for a box of 5000.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Club Billiards said:
I've never seen them sell the Duo Fast brand, but they have the Stanley brand that fits for $9.99 for a box of 5000.
Craftsman and Duo fast 1/2" crown staples are the same size.

Glen

Club Billiards

Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Craftsman and Duo fast 1/2" crown staples are the same size.

Glen

Right. Home Depot still sells the 1/2" for a little cheaper, but they stopped carrying the 3/8" so that's mainly what we were looking for.

By the way...when you making it back in my neck of the woods? Still coming this way?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Club Billiards said:
Right. Home Depot still sells the 1/2" for a little cheaper, but they stopped carrying the 3/8" so that's mainly what we were looking for.

By the way...when you making it back in my neck of the woods? Still coming this way?
Sears carries the 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" I'm trying to get back there to pick up my truck, then I have to run back west. After that I'm heading back to the factory, I plan on staying on the east coast maybe for the rest of the year, I don't know yet.

Glen

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
macaframa said:
. Does anyone know where to get a good deal on a 12" or 14" machinist level to get the job done?

I like to know where to find a cheap machinist level also? Any suggestions guys?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
TXsouthpaw said:
I like to know where to find a cheap machinist level also? Any suggestions guys?
The only machinist levels I use are made by Starrett, and I use the 8" levels. They're about $115.00 each, you can find them on-line, as to the closet place to you that sells them.

Glen