Statement from LP Custom Cues

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't enjoy writing this. But i have a cue on order from Lee.
The cue was supposed to be finished last september...
In march 2013 i sendt him an email asking about the status of my order.
I got a short reply that he was a little behind, no apologies or eta. On my cue.
The cue is paid in full, so i feel that Lee could be better at comunicating delays and maybe he's medical situation.
Customer service is everything and when i pay $600 i expect that at the very least the cuemaker to comunicate to me delayes or other problems that might arise...

I totally agree. And its also very annoying to see how many people who put in orders years after me have received cues. But it seems like deposits and advanced payments were poorly managed. In this situation I doubt there will be a way to get our money back. If you do get in touch with him, I would try and negotiate anything you can get to mitigate your loss.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really don't enjoy writing this. But i have a cue on order from Lee.
The cue was supposed to be finished last september...
In march 2013 i sendt him an email asking about the status of my order.
I got a short reply that he was a little behind, no apologies or eta. On my cue.
The cue is paid in full, so i feel that Lee could be better at comunicating delays and maybe he's medical situation.
Customer service is everything and when i pay $600 i expect that at the very least the cuemaker to comunicate to me delayes or other problems that might arise...

Edit: I actually looked up my correspondance with Lee and It`s actually worse than what i wrote.
I ordered the cue last week of July 2011. Was told 10 months lead time.
Sent him an email in the beginning of July 2012 and was told my cue was being tapered and worked on.
Well It`s July 2013 and still no cue...

I hope you end up getting a nice cue. Lee too a lot longer on my cue and his communication was spotty at best. I was worried that I wouldn't get a cue at all. After a period of no communication I was getting mad and was about to blow a gasket. It was painful, but I just let him be and hoped for the best. I did end up with a nice cue.

In your case it is different as he is quitting and selling the shop, not to mention it sounds like he has health issues.

Lee strikes me as the type of guy that will make it right, it just might take a while.
Good luck

Last edited:

jemerson23

Shoot to Thrill
Silver Member
Lee is a good guy, he will make it right. Timetables in cuemaking...they never seem to work out. Would you rather a crap product in 6 months, or something you will be thrilled with for a lifetime?

Hope Lee is getting better. His health is what's important right now.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee is a good guy, he will make it right. Timetables in cuemaking...they never seem to work out. Would you rather a crap product in 6 months, or something you will be thrilled with for a lifetime?

Hope Lee is getting better. His health is what's important right now.

Sorry, but that is a bullshit statement. Apply that way of thinking to anything else in life and society as we know it would be a banana republic!
I have worked as a chef and just imagine if i took that approach, i would be out of a job before i got the pan hot!
You can't rush perfection is almost a mantra for me, but i make damn sure perfection is reached within the time limit i stated.
So being a cue builder is just the same, one of the things we pay for is the cuemakers experience in determining how long time to produce a cue.
As for my cue, i ordered a simple player, so now three years on I don't need that cue i longe since have found a cue thats suits my taste.
As for Lee's health issues i wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

jemerson23

Shoot to Thrill
Silver Member
Sorry, but that is a bullshit statement. Apply that way of thinking to anything else in life and society as we know it would be a banana republic!
I have worked as a chef and just imagine if i took that approach, i would be out of a job before i got the pan hot!
You can't rush perfection is almost a mantra for me, but i make damn sure perfection is reached within the time limit i stated.
So being a cue builder is just the same, one of the things we pay for is the cuemakers experience in determining how long time to produce a cue.
As for my cue, i ordered a simple player, so now three years on I don't need that cue i longe since have found a cue thats suits my taste.
As for Lee's health issues i wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery.

You mean 2 years later, i guess.
Get a grip man, he has stated here in this thread he has had numerous health issues, before the heart attack. Hence the reason he is retiring from cue making. That delays his work, going back to a full time job, delays his work. I waited an extra 7 months for my last LP cue, but ti was worth it. Since you don't need the cue, right now, it will be a pleasant surprise when it arrives, unless you give your self a stroke stressing about such things.
Relax take a deep breath

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a grip man, he has stated here in this thread he has had numerous health issues, before the heart attack. Hence the reason he is retiring from cue making. That delays his work, going back to a full time job, delays his work. I waited an extra 7 months for my last LP cue, but ti was worth it. Since you don't need the cue, right now, it will be a pleasant surprise when it arrives, unless you give your self a stroke stressing about such things.
Relax take a deep breath
Yes going on the third year..
Yes i understand Lee has had health issues and that your priority after waking up from a double buypass operation is not making cues or chatting to your customers, but at some point, the cue maker has to inform the customers - the ones in essence paying his sallary, that he`s had health issues and delay`s are to be expected, he is also obliged to give a realistic time frame and maybe even giving his customers the option to opt out of the deal...

btw: your signature is anoying as hell :)

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relax take a deep breath

My thoughts exactly. I don't need the cue. I thought I'd snag one of his last batches of cues. Purely a luxury item and college graduation present to myself. He said 8-10 months at the end of Aug 2012. Now that his recent health problems have stacked up upon the pre-existing ones, I'm not expecting it any time soon. I'm just waiting for that pleasant surprise of an email.

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts exactly. I don't need the cue. I thought I'd snag one of his last batches of cues. Purely a luxury item and college graduation present to myself. He said 8-10 months at the end of Aug 2012. Now that his recent health problems have stacked up upon the pre-existing ones, I'm not expecting it any time soon. I'm just waiting for that pleasant surprise of an email.

2 more years and you may share my concerns.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lee Peppers Cues

Lee, have you ever used a pepper logo on your cues or know of anyone who may have? I came across a Purpleheart wrapped cue that has 2 red peppers on the shaft and two white peppers in the phenolic butt and I am trying to figure out who made it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Lee is paying attention to this thread.

He's on AZ pretty much everyday. Click on his Itrader and look at the right side of the screen. Although he's in "invisible mode" through the Itrader link it shows his most recent login..........I'm sure he's paying attention.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
I see both sides...

I had a custom 1 of 1 cue made from a cocktail napkin sketch I texted to a custom builder, it was an extravagant cue...4k range...a LOT OF DETAIL...it ran a couple months past the promised deadline, but I had great communication, photos of progress, and He was AWESOME TO DEAL WITH. I still almost lost my mind, several times actually wondering if I'd ever see it. That was only a couple months late. I can't imagine a year late??? I'd lose it. Until you've been there, you almost can't understand.

That said, Lee, I wish you the best, and I'm sure that you're making the right decision based on the sounds of things. I hate to see another custom cue maker go away, sure seems like a pattern lately. It's a shame. Such excellent craftsmen, and can't earn a good low stress living even out of their own business. Don't seem right. The shop that you're going to work for is lucky.

If u can Lee, refund the deposits of the hostile customers, and take that stress off you're plate. You'll have no trouble selling them when their done.

Why would any builder take custom orders?????????????????????
I'd build em at my leisure, sell em when done, and have no deadlines.
Most builders that left the business, was due to the stress of waiting customers...harassing emails and phone calls, because they were behind. Just doesn't make sense to take custom orders. I would want twice as much for a custom order. Or only take orders for blanks that are ready, veneers and points completed, just let customer pick from the blanks in stock.

Good luck to everyone, and get well Lee

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a custom 1 of 1 cue made from a cocktail napkin sketch I texted to the builder, it was an extravagant cue...4k range...a LOT OF DETAIL...it ran a couple months past the promised deadline, but I had great communication, photos of progress, and He was AWESOME TO DEAL WITH. I still almost lost my mind, several times actually wondering if I'd ever see it. That was only a couple months late. I can't imagine a year late??? I'd lose it. Until you've been there, you almost can't understand.

That said, Lee, I wish you the best, and I'm sure that you're making the right decision based on the sounds of things. I hate to see another custom cue maker go away, sure seems like a pattern lately. It's a shame. Such excellent craftsmen, and can't earn a good low stress living even out of their own business. Don't seem right. The shop that you're going to work for is lucky.

If u can Lee, refund the deposits of the hostile customers, and take that stress off you're plate. You'll have no trouble selling them when their done.

Why would any builder take custom orders?????????????????????
I'd build em at my leisure, sell em when done, and have no deadlines.
Most builders that left the business, was due to the stress of waiting customers...harassing emails and phone calls, because they were behind. Just doesn't make sense to take custom orders. I would want twice as much for a custom order. Or only take orders for blanks that are ready, veneers and points completed, just let customer pick from the blanks in stock.

Good luck to everyone, and get well Lee

Well i have been super patient, 2 emails in as many years...
I sent Lee an email last wednesday where i proposed that he need not send me the cue, he can put my cue or any other cues he may have on for sale section, pay back my $500 and pocket whatever profit is left, I`m not asking for interests on mye $500 wich he has kept for 2 years!
I asked for a simple player, not a collection piece, so i wanted a cue i could actually use. obviously i have long since found a playing cue and i see no point in changing whenever Lee gets around to finish my cue.

If your in the custom cue making business and don`t deliver on time and fail to notice the customers, naturally your gonna have to deal with emails or telephone calls.
As a cue builder one of your most important skills is beeing able to quote a price that pays for your costs and give you profit, yet at the same time beeing competetive on price. Second is to actually estimate how long time you will need and actually keep that deadline.
If you can`t manage those two simple things, you have nothing to do in the cue building business!

Last edited:

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's on AZ pretty much everyday. Click on his Itrader and look at the right side of the screen. Although he's in "invisible mode" through the Itrader link it shows his most recent login..........I'm sure he's paying attention.

Has anyone been in contact with him?

dakraljic

Banned
How can I get in contact with Lee???I There is no his web site anymore.His email address is blocked and also here on AZ,I don't have an option to send him a message.I am waiting the cue that I ordered before one and half year and the last I was told is that the cue would be finished till the end of the year.However I cannot get in contact with him.
Thanks
Davor

Last edited:

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
How can I get in contact with Lee???I There is no his web site anymore.His email address is blocked and also here on AZ,I don't have an option to send him a message.I am waiting the cue that I ordered before one and half year and the last I was told is that the cue would be finished till the end of the year.However I cannot get in contact with him.
Thanks
Davor

Facebook..............................