Statement from LP Custom Cues

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take no pleasure in bringing this up but I feel it neccessary. I see many people praising Lee however my experience with him as been a bit different. I contacted Lee about a cue in febuary of 2011 about making me a custom cue. At that time he had publicly stated he had a 6-8 month turn around time which is one of the things that drew me to him. A few days after contacting him I placed an order and paid a 925 dollar deposit (he requires a 50%) deposit. To make a long story short I still don't have a cue and I can assume at this point I will never see my deposit again. I only spoke with Lee on the phone a few times when I initially put the order in. Below are many of the emails between Lee and I. I left out a few where we decided to upgrade the shaft type, change the wrap type, and cover the 5/16x14 joint with ivory. Lee stated this might push the time frame back a couple months but even after the last modification he was still setting expectations I would have a December 2011 delivery date. I know hes facing health issues now and I don't wish that on anyone. What I am really curious about is who else is left hanging out there?

12-2-20121-35-54PM.png

12-2-20121-37-13PM.png

12-2-20121-39-36PM.png

12-2-20121-39-13PM.png

12-2-20121-40-35PM.png

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue on order from him due in about May or June of next year. He originally quoted me 8-10 months when I paid the deposit at the end of August. My cue isn't as complex as yours sounds, but I am still waiting patiently for my cue. I have other cues to play with. It's not like you're waiting extra time for him to do a hack job.. He does good work along with having other orders to complete and health complications. So just be patient.

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue on order from him due in about May or June of next year. He originally quoted me 8-10 months when I paid the deposit at the end of August. My cue isn't as complex as yours sounds, but I am still waiting patiently for my cue. I have other cues to play with. It's not like you're waiting extra time for him to do a hack job.. He does good work along with having other orders to complete and health complications. So just be patient.

You don't see a problem that my cue is almost 1 year passed the original due date? And he obviously took your order after mine was 6 months late and promised you a date thats 8-10 months. Thats very reassuring. Its not that I don't have anyone to play with....its that this guy took my deposit and has shown me no proof hes even started my project. The only reason I offered to buy the cue in that last email was to try and get out of this deal as quickly as possible.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
You don't see a problem that my cue is almost 1 year passed the original due date? And he obviously took your order after mine was 6 months late and promised you a date thats 8-10 months. Thats very reassuring. Its not that I don't have anyone to play with....its that this guy took my deposit and has shown me no proof hes even started my project. The only reason I offered to buy the cue in that last email was to try and get out of this deal as quickly as possible.

big problem.....gl sir i hope you get what you order,the way you ordered it soon...

Keane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely understand being frustrated... I ordered a cue that was mostly done at the time (the Salesman Sample cue, ordered January of 2012), and was told 4 months. I didn't badger him much, and got the cue in August. I was a little upset by the extra wait (as I'm sure you are 100x, since it is so much longer). Lee is definitely a little gruff over email.

However, that said, once you receive the cue, I'm sure you'll be thrilled. The one I got was fantastic, and I'm extremely happy with it. I think that everything Lee tells you about the cue is him being modest at best, though his time frame predictions seem to be an issue (though this seems to be a theme with cue makers).

Lee-
I do want to say that I'm terribly sorry to hear about this, I hope you're doing better. As I mentioned above, I'm extremely happy with the cue you made me, and I'll cherish it for a long time.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee,

I'm really sorry to hear that. Best wishes with your recovery.

For the record, both cues I ordered from Lee took a little longer than the expected build time (including a wait in line with Capnstabn's description). I found Lee to be very responsive to emails, and I'm really happy with the cues. Cuemaking is an art, not a science, and it's not uncommon for cuemakers to fall behind schedule. This doesn't excuse a long wait and a missed delivery date, but in my experience Lee is decidedly not the type to run off with your money.

capnstabn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checking back in on this. So I have heard some people got their deposits back. I have yet to receive any response from Lee.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Checking back in on this. So I have heard some people got their deposits back. I have yet to receive any response from Lee.

I emailed him a month or so ago and asked how everything is coming. He said he's still working on my cue and he'd email me when it's done...

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has been selling his equipment in the cue builder section for months.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=305487

So I'd say you are getting robbed. If you live anywhere near him I would start a small claims suit against him. Costs under $10 to file and no lawyer required. If he doesn't show he loses and if he can't show he repaid you I would expect your emails to be a lock winner.

It says in that ad that he's going to hand over the equipment after he's finished building all the orders he has. I'd imagine a full cue shop is a hard thing to move so that's why he put it up early to get as many people to see it as possible.

Slow Eddie

I only look Filipino.
Silver Member
I emailed him a month or so ago and asked how everything is coming. He said he's still working on my cue and he'd email me when it's done...

Same here. I have faith that he will make good on his outstanding orders.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Best wishes for your future, Lee. I continue to enjoy the cue you made for me.

If you do still enjoy building cues, you could continue to do so as a part-time builder, not taking orders but building whatever styles and designs strike your fancy and on whatever time schedule meets your needs. You could find a dealer or two to handle the sales.

But I imagine you have already considered and rejected that possibility.

Be well.

I agree with this 100% - don't take orders. If I have one regret it's that I ever started taking orders. I mean I love making people what they want but it's truly a burden and if you don't get it done on time, don't get it exactly right then the burden increases dramatically. Do-overs erase not only profit you had but also take a production spot of a current customer further delaying their order and increasing the pressure

Recently I came across this guy, www.saddlebackleather.com, and he say emphatically that he WILL NOT take custom orders and will not take customer design suggestions. I actually applaud that because it allows him to focus on what he really wants to put out into the world.

I think it's incredibly tough going to get into the business of custom made things. The intangible process to go from the customer's mind to the finished product is that which takes up far more time on average than any customer maker plans for. And the more orders, the more complexity, the more time and frustration builds up for all concerned.

Some makers have found ways to deal with this and are fairly successful with it. Be that offering rigid specs, keeping their styles limited, allowing only so much input and then running with it, or simply being very highly organized. Others though get crushed under the weight of taking orders and dealing with a lot of people in the same space of time.

If I had a chance to do it over I think I would change a lot about how I would do this business. I too hope that Lee can get back to cue making for his own enjoyment and make what he wants to make selling them as they are done rather than lining up work in advance that obligates one for a long time.

Lee, I hope you get well soon and all the way!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Lee can be gruff and he can be late as others can also be but he isn't a thief.

I had a little kerfluffle with Lee and he was true to his word. He sold the cue and my money was sent promptly.

The other 2 cues of his that I own are keepers and wouldn't get sold if my life depended on it.

I think most cue makers want to be good for their word. After working 16 hrs plus a day sometimes, they don't have the luxury of having little elves take over for them at night when they are sleeping. There are extenuating circumstances that happen to all of us and cue makers aren't exempt.

Last edited:

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee I am sorry to hear of your issues. But health ones I certainly understand. I have 2 of your cues and they are the best hitting ones I have owned. You produced a quality cue for a reasonable price. You designed cues that I simply loved. I wish I owned a few more. I get a ton of people asking about my cues and even received a few offers. I never did get my cue to you for a repair that I caused. I am sorry you won't be able to do it. But take care of yourself. I wish you all the best and just want you to know that I am a big fan of your work and your product.

Bob

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lp

I have only seen your work in photos. Sir you are a true craftsmen.
All the best to you.....
MCP

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee recently had a heart attack, but is recovering well. Rod.

I am sorry to hear that. I hope that his health concerns will stabilize.

I ordered a cue from Lee at the end of 2010. The anticipated delivery date was 10 months. In the meantime, he announced that he was getting out of cuemaking but would deliver on his backlog. The cue was delivered last August (20 months). The build quality easily met my expectations and it plays much better than I anticipated. The cue is my main player.

I believe that Lee will do his best to deliver.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee recently had a heart attack, but is recovering well. Rod.

Sorry to hear that. However, I am very happy to hear he's still with us and getting better.

If you're reading this thread Lee, remember IMO your health absolutely comes before cue building.

For any one wondering about Lee working on or completing their cues, there shouldn't be any doubt that he will do his best to complete them in as timely a fashion as he is able. From my experience, he's a very honorable man who keeps his word, although he does come off gruff at times, he cares deeply about his craft, customer satisfaction and his reputation.

God bless! Keep on the mend!

Kevin

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't enjoy writing this. But i have a cue on order from Lee.
The cue was supposed to be finished last september...
In march 2013 i sendt him an email asking about the status of my order.
I got a short reply that he was a little behind, no apologies or eta. On my cue.
The cue is paid in full, so i feel that Lee could be better at comunicating delays and maybe he's medical situation.
Customer service is everything and when i pay $600 i expect that at the very least the cuemaker to comunicate to me delayes or other problems that might arise...

Edit: I actually looked up my correspondance with Lee and It`s actually worse than what i wrote.
I ordered the cue last week of July 2011. Was told 10 months lead time.
Sent him an email in the beginning of July 2012 and was told my cue was being tapered and worked on.
Well It`s July 2013 and still no cue...

Last edited: