Statement from The Legends of Pocket Billiards

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What were the pockets on Mosconi's & Johns table. Please tell us! Seems like your just pissed that Jayson did it. Run your own event on a Diamond with 4 1/4" pockets and see who comes, NOBODY!
What does it matter, they made it very clear pocket size means nothing, so I'll set a table up for John that has FACTORY built 6" corners and 6 1/2" sides, should be interesting😅🤣

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What does it matter, they made it very clear pocket size means nothing, so I'll set a table up for John that has FACTORY built 6" corners and 6 1/2" sides, should be interesting😅🤣
You Sir, are an idiot! Good Table Mechanic, but that's all I can say about you! Did you pick on Johns Pockets after his 626?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Under these conditions, John might be able to push the high run record to more than 1500.

6" corner pocket, 6 1/2"side pocket, AND factory built specs at that!!!!

Hell, John may have to even quit pocketing balls at some point from just not missing, I guess if that were to happen, it would pretty much destroy any high run attempts in the future.

Last edited:

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Under these conditions, John might be able to push the high run record to more than 1500.

6" corner pocket, 6 1/2"side pocket, AND factory built specs at that!!!!

Hell, John may have to even quit pocketing balls at some point from just not missing, I guess if that were to happen, it would pretty much destroy any high run attempts in the future.
Imagine how many Jayson would run! 2,000 - 3,000 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You are a dreamer!

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Pool is the only sport that anyone can make up the rules as they go along. Pool don't even need standards, specifications, authorized equipment, official this or that, it don't matter. Hell, pool don't even have an official sanctioning body! It's no wonder why pool is leaving America for other countries. All America has to do is finish laying down, because its dead in this sport. We're no longer the leader in this sport, we've officially become the peanut gallery. A new official high run record, on some kind of equipment with buckets of unknown specifications, but who cares. On this basis alone, no one should complain if the record is broken again on a table with 6" corner pockets and 6 1/2" sides!!!! Buckets ARE Buckets, right!!!
And all of this could have been easily avoided, lay down 700+ on a proper table and it would have shut down all debate and the nastiness that has come with it.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All the records were set on similar pocket sizes, what's the big deal 526 is 526, 626 is 626 & 714 is 714! It's all Great.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the interesting question is what happened in the time leading up to, and in the midst of that 714 run. Up to that point, his daily BPI was only 61. Did he play differently than earlier in the evening, with his shot selection and pattern play? The stream ended with his 184th inning, but in the innings that followed was there any indication that he was about to increase his high run by 75%. Or was it just the way fortune rolled?

On SVB's third day, when he started to get a bunch of higher runs, and his 10-inning average BPI exceeded 120, I got interested in how his game might be changing as he progressed - an expert rotation player learning to play a different game on the fly.

Then when Ruslan played, there was a difference apparent even to me.

I thought it would be interesting to do an analysis of shot type and shot difficulty and how that might change for each player over time, and if there would be a discernible difference in the pattern chosen for the last three shots before the break shot.

I created a database of all the shots and of all the break patterns, winding up with a four-player combined total of about 28000 shots, and about 2000 breaks.

I would guess that if SVB or Jayson played this high run challenge for 1000 hours, they'd come up with a lot of the same tactics and patterns developed by long-time 14.1 players. Maybe not though, maybe they would just play 'rotation 14.1' with lots of cue ball movement and long shots.

If the rest of the stream is ever posted, maybe I'll pursue this again.

If Shaw does return to try again, and with what he learned during his turn at the table so far, would he be able to post a cluster of high runs, or would it just continue to be episodic?

It would be most interesting to have that comparison between a Filler and Shaw, or a Ruslan and Shane, or Orcollo and Hohmann.
If I’m not mistaken he had a roughly 400 ball run earlier in his final session as well, a number of hours before starting the 714 run. I thought he was cooked after that run ended, but he just kept on going, all through the night!

I still haven’t seen the complete stats for his five or six days/sessions. I believe he had numerous 300+ runs countless 200+ runs, far more than Earl did. Certainly got better and better in his pattern play every session.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And all of this could have been easily avoided, lay down 700+ on a proper table and it would have shut down all debate and the nastiness that has come with it.

No way. Some here would have just found other reasons to complain. Some are trolls, others are disrespectful assholes. That is what toxic people do. You give them a hundred dollar bill and they will complain about having to go "break it" at a bank before they can spend it.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I’m not mistaken he had a roughly 400 ball run earlier in his final session as well, a number of hours before starting the 714 run. I thought he was cooked after that run ended, but he just kept on going, all through the night!
Yes, just under 400.. 39X? If you are wired the right way like Jayson is failure fuels determination and success!

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way. Some here would have just found other reasons to complain. Some are trolls, others are disrespectful assholes. That is what toxic people do. You give them a hundred dollar bill and they will complain about having to go "break it" at a bank before they can spend it.
Indeed. I did not come here for a long time, but it's pretty incredible to see how toxic some are. I read the is the 626 legitimate thread and then have been following the various threads with this 14.1 legends challenge. Incredible stuff on both "sides" of the fence.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be excited to see this event continue. It would be fun to see what the limits are on what these guys can do.

Jayson ran 714 in 6 days and as amazing as that is, I can’t help but figure that he (and by extension other top players) can run more than that if they keep trying. They clearly improve over the course of the challenge so perhaps 800 isn’t out of the question or even more.
I'm not so sure about that. I think they probably need something to chase other than just cash and beating their personal best. I could be wrong though.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I'm not so sure about that. I think they probably need something to chase other than just cash and beating their personal best. I could be wrong though.
I agree. That was the whole reason why Jaysons high run jumped from 270 to 714 in less than a month. But what I mean is that, given the correct incentive, I think the high run ceiling is a bit higher for these guys.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I agree. That was the whole reason why Jaysons high run jumped from 270 to 714 in less than a month. But what I mean is that, given the correct incentive, I think the high run ceiling is a bit higher for these guys.
I'm wondering now that Jayson owns the record if the monitary incentive remains as the primary concern.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
You think if JS had done his run on a factory fresh Diamond that thread would have gone the way it did? I don't think it would have.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I would guess that if SVB or Jayson played this high run challenge for 1000 hours, they'd come up with a lot of the same tactics and patterns developed by long-time 14.1 players. Maybe not though, maybe they would just play 'rotation 14.1' with lots of cue ball movement and long shots. ...
I think the patterns would improve but Mosconi credits a lot of his success to keeping his shots short. He says that he improved over Greenleaf's style by doing that. That is against the grain for standard rotation play.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Key word highlighted...

What exactly is proper...? More improtantly, what is proper for the game of 14.1...? Is it the same as proper for 1 pocket..?

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Key word highlighted...

What exactly is proper...? More improtantly, what is proper for the game of 14.1...? Is it the same as proper for 1 pocket..?
Given the sad state of Pools governance I would opt for the WPA standards as that is what is used currently for most Pro events.
I'm a big fan of Jasons game, followed his trajectory since he played English pool, disappointed that this was not done right.