Stolen league money

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such as denomination and quanity of bills in the safe?

Such as the size of said safe?

Like no credible eviden beyond this guys word that this happened. For $19,000, it would be a big deal to me. And I wouldn't run to an otherwise anonymous forum to complain unless I could back it up. Which this guy can't. Not yet anyway. So why all the drama over something that may not have even happened?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like no credible eviden beyond this guys word that this happened. For $19,000, it would be a big deal to me. And I wouldn't run to an otherwise anonymous forum to complain unless I could back it up. Which this guy can't. Not yet anyway. So why all the drama over something that may not have even happened?

No offense, but it really seems like you’re taking this more personally than anyone. So ask yourself “why all the drama”.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I’m pretty sure there is 19 Gs missing...and a canceled banquet...
...and the LO isn’t immediately covering it.
So I think he has left himself open to conjecture....
...and we WILL conjecture away.

That’s how AZ works sometimes...and sometimes we get to the bottom of it.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I am simply curious as hell.
I would like to know details of what (if anything) materializes here.
It is ugly regardless how the $19k went missing.
Considering $19K, I would guess this to be approx. 16 team league at let's say 23 weeks...
That is a minimum of 80 players and most likely over 100.
Hard to believe someone wouldn't at least verify with the police there is an actual crime/investigation.
Even with the standard police statement "We do not discuss ongoing investigations", they would certainly indicate if there was one.

Ultimately, it doesn't change to situation... the rent is due and the landlord does not care if someone stole your rent money.

Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's 10,000 in twenties... not that bulky. It would fit in a small fireproof safe.. 10k in
$100 dollar bills is less than a half inch thick. Now why would you keep 19K at home when people know you're running the league?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 187

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
No offense but that's the wrong question. The question should be how big does the safe need to be to prevent someone from stealing the safe. I have documents which would be a pain in the ass to replace in a small fireproof safe but I would never keep a significant amount of cash in it.

If it's true the son's girlfriend had stolen from him before why would he keep that much cash in the house?

If you have valuables you don't want people to steal, the safe should be bolted to the floor, or wall (if concrete). If it's big, that helps, but it's no guarantee. Obviously there are more features to a safe than just size or wall thickness, but if it's bolted, at least nobody can pick it up and run off with it. Once it's outside, no safe is secure. Given time, they can all be broken into.

Any hotel size safe can hold 19k dollars even if there are some ones in there.

Last edited:

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's 10,000 in twenties... not that bulky. It would fit in a small fireproof safe.. 10k in
$100 dollar bills is less than a half inch thick. Now why would you keep 19K at home when people know you're running the league?

Yeah, that has been the point.
Plus weekly league dues are not predominately $20s...I wish they were.
Your picture of the stack of 10k would nearly double at 19k and would easily be 4x considering the 10s, 5, and pile of $1...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The money was both there and not there.

View attachment 496032

This is a silly picture. Silly, mostly because Schrödinger was using the Cat thought experiement only as an illustration to the shortcomings of the Copenhagen theory of Quantum mechanics. It was not a "theory" and "his" only in the respect that it was his commentary on a theory/interpretation made by others (Bohr and Heissenberg mainly).

Now I'll shut up and calculate.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The supposed theft of the league money happened once years back on our league. The guy handling the cash made it right, yes, he came up with the money to pay off all the players.

Anyone, league operator on not, that keeps this kind of cash at home.......STUPID!!!

Out LO pays the team captains with a check. Yes, the money is deposited in a bank. At the end of the season, each team captian is issued a check, and the captain pays his/her team members with cash after getting the check cashed.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your picture of the stack of 10k would nearly double at 19k and would easily be 4x considering the 10s, 5, and pile of $1...

Do a one time charge at the beginning of the season, makes the check or money order payment easier. :thumbup:

Ive played in several BCA leagues that do this, including the one I currently play in.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You mean he has kept it all this time in his house? No one is that dumb. I have been assuming he withdrew from the bank it the day before so he could hand it out the next day. NO??????

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean he has kept it all this time in his house? No one is that dumb. I have been assuming he withdrew from the bank it the day before so he could hand it out the next day. NO??????
Crazy right?
The original post stated that the LO moved it from his large safe to his small safe for sorting pending payout.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy right?
The original post stated that the LO moved it from his large safe to his small safe for sorting pending payout.

Having at home all that time goes along with something a smart guy told me one time.

'If you give a guy some money to hold and don't ask for it back quickly, he will soon start thinking it is his."

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have valuables you don't want people to steal, the safe should be bolted to the floor, or wall (if concrete). If it's big, that helps, but it's no guarantee. Obviously there are more features to a safe than just size or wall thickness, but if it's bolted, at least nobody can pick it up and run off with it. Once it's outside, no safe is secure. Given time, they can all be broken into.

Any hotel size safe can hold 19k dollars even if there are some ones in there.

It would be difficult to steal a safe the size of a hotel if there was such a thing.

At any rate the question isn't how large a safe should be to hold x amount of money. The next question is why the league operator had that much cash at home if - as reported in this thread - he knew his son's girlfriend had stolen from him previously.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It would be difficult to steal a safe the size of a hotel if there was such a thing.

At any rate the question isn't how large a safe should be to hold x amount of money. The next question is why the league operator had that much cash at home if - as reported in this thread - he knew his son's girlfriend had stolen from him previously.

Lol. Hotel size....I obviously meant size usually found in a hotel room.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

- he knew his son's girlfriend had stolen from him previously.

First, holy crap that was funny (hope that was a joke).

Second, just a small correction, daughter’s boyfriend.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would I call them? I don't have any info on the matter, and have no vested interest. They'd never talk to me. Doesn't hurt to call (or email, because it's just as easy). Worst they can say is no.

Because you are the one claiming this constitutes a free consultation, whereas in reality a class action case where the total loss was $19,000 won't get past the phone screen to an actual consultation.

Between looking for a law firm that offers free consultations on class action suits (I guess laughing hilariously at the very notion could be called a 'free consultation' and doing bad math to find the unknowable volume of the money, you sure seem invested in the more ridiculous aspects of this situation.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 x 100 = 200
300 x 20 = 6000
950 x 10 = 9500
760 x 5 = 3800
total = $19,500
760 + 300 + 950 +2 = 2012 bills of us currency

That's a lot

using your figures and "no" one dollar bills!!!

kd

Pretty ridiculous breakdown considering OP says he had $750 coming. I'd guess there were others getting amounts in the lower hundreds so it would make more sense to have more hundreds and fifties. And you wouldn't need more than a maximum number of 5s equal to the number of people being paid out. Similarly with 10s.

The only thing sillier than a made up distribution of bills is the whole notion of finding the volume of the money, relating it to the size of the safe and - remind me again, WHAT is the point of this exercise?