Str8Shots Has Not Paid for CO State 8-Ball Championships

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
that's a great story of someone overcoming the odds as it were. and, it's all the more reason she should know better.

at this point she has undermined since NOV, everything she's tried to accomplish since 2011 & 2013, and, damaged not only multiple relationships but the industry as a whole. while claiming to "set a good & positive example for pool".

how does one sleep at night with those kinds of goals, while being fully aware of the trainwreck one has created? how can someone who was treated so well, treat her industry bretheren with such blatant disrespect?

how should the kids feel? THE KIDS who had every reason to get excited about having their expenses covered to get to the nationals, but were then ignored. no, not just ignored but completely avoided and disregarded. nice lesson taught.

what are the parents then forced to do? explain someone else's mistakes? make excuses? LIE? FOR HER? FOR HIM?

she, he, they have betrayed themselves and us all. they had trust and honor and in return have spat in the face of promoters, players, but most of all their MISSION - the children.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am really sad to see this thread. I just played in a Straight Shots event at Jamacia Joes and SS added $5000 to the field, money sent in advance. I thought it was a tremendous gesture to add the money even though the field wasn't full.

I was traveling with Sean King who won the Colorado event and I am pretty sure he got paid or I would have heard about it.

It is especially hard to hear about children who did not receive promised expense money. My ex wife was very active in raising money for junior players in Colorado and if there was ever a shortfall she would often chip in out of her own pocket to make it up. Her efforts sent many aspiring players to the Junior Nationals in VNEA. Really sad and hoping it gets cleared up.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
With all due respect guys, get over it.

You operate a new venture with your life savings in the company checking account. If you're very good and very lucky, you don't lose it all...you just lose most of it before you start making more than you're losing.

But in most cases the money runs out and you're out of business.

You don't tell all your customers, suppliers, employees, etc. that you're going to run out of money next month. You hope that something will turn it around. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But you run it with everything you've got until the last nickel is gone.

Then you lock yourself in your room and wonder what you're going to do now that you're broke.

Luckily I lost the shotgun in the liquidation....... :)

Tournaments should simply have the money all safe and secure and pay off right then. regardless of the "who shot John" story that's the bottom line. Money is there and paid on the spot no matter what's happening with the overall business.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there's no good reason for breaking promises, but having spent some coffee time earlier on with Kimberly, my perspective is more supportive of her, her efforts, and her wonderful husband Mark. This is not an excuse, but my opinion from the times we spent talking about pool. Kimberly as a kid lived in Denver, and basically her and her siblings were raised in a pool room by a wonderful man that took all of em under wing, and socially raised them as their parents were not able too and I don't know enough about that, but all the praise she gave the room owner for basically ''saving'' her and family members....the room owner was a stand up guy. She worked, educated herself, made bank and then I guess met Mark and married. Her health and vision declined in life, and as we all know, in business your health is #1 before one ventures into a NEW business, but she had Mark and her son to help out. With her health waning, and maybe she realizing life was to be shortened she moved quickly to save others who had a similar past, and there are quite a few in the pool room. She wanted to save as many pool players lives as she could, because she and her siblings were given common sense and helped out as children. She's a voracious worker, and I think trying to do too much for too many....was what may have shortened her situation to what it's presently come too. I hope she's well, but I think she got into the pool world again thinking she'll do the same as the room owner in Denver did to save her and family....but the pool world and society is quite different than when she was a child....that's how I see it.

Are you saying she is dying, or is it just str8 that died?

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
So Measureman, are you really trying to tell us that someone who was RAISED in a poolhall is not an honest person? I am SHOCKED! That being said, to whoever said that we should "just get over it" most of the people in this thread are not mad about the money, we all understand things happen. What we are mad about is the way they are going about it, the way they are treating those that at the very least deserve an explanation and a plan. Also, why did they send that $5,000 to Jamaica Joes when they couldn't even pay the winners from the tournament before? Why are they still sponsoring the pros to go play exhibition matches and tournaments? None of these things seem strange to you? If you took 2nd or 4th in this tournament and were owed that money, would you not be furious they will not even answer a phone call, text, or email let alone actually contact you to try and make a plan to pay you, all the while, their website is taken down, their facebook page is taken down and all of a sudden they dropped off the face of the earth?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Str8Shots (Marc and Kimberly Griffiths) ran the Colorado State 8-Ball Championships on May 16-18 in Pueblo, of which I took 2nd place with a prize of $980 that they have failed to pay me.

Towards the end of the tournament, Marc stated that the 1st-4th place prize money had been stolen, but that they would pay everyone in full within 30 days. I have given Str8Shots everything requested of me: PayPal address, bank account info, and a W-9.

Various people from Str8Shots have given me a number of stories regarding why they have not paid:
  • They claimed they had already paid me.
  • They paid the wrong person and had to get the money back.
  • Kimberly’s notes were hard to read.
  • They only check their email every two weeks.

I understand that Kimberly has been having health issues and I sincerely hope she fully recovers. Unfortunately, this does not explain the lack of communication and a few other items:
  • Dozens of phone calls to different numbers and voicemails have gone unanswered.
  • It takes days if not weeks delay to get an email response, if they respond at all.
  • Str8Shots banned me and my girlfriend from their Facebook group and defriended both of us.
  • The tournament was deleted from their website.
  • Over two weeks ago a person from Str8Shots said they were going to process me immediately through payroll, which has not happened.
  • I have even sent them a certified letter through the mail with no response.

I have talked with the players and as of a couple weeks ago, 1st and 3rd place have been paid out, but not 2nd or 4th. One of the players said that Str8Shots told him that they have paid everyone.

It is very unfortunate that the prize money was stolen, but it was Str8Shot’s responsibility to keep it secure. For this tournament: I took a day off work, drove 4.5 hours up to Colorado, spent my entire weekend grinding out matches, and also spent money on gas, hotel, and entry fee.

Marc or Kimberly, if you are reading this please contact me!

THIS IS WHY POOL NEED ONE SINGLE GOVERNING ORGANIZATION, THAT WOULD GUARANTEE WINNERS OF TOURNAMENT GET PAID, OR THE GOVERNING BODY WOULD PAY OFF THE PRIZES.

Other sports like Bowling, Tennis, Golf, etc have the governing body that is responsible. Beside Pool Players would know the event they play in is governed by "X" Organization, and the money is guaranteed.

Pool Players will some day wake up, and finally demand a single governing body be formed. To protect everyone.

As when that day come no more of these post will happen.

Plus Pool will get cleaned up, and the shady characters who have events collect entry fees, etc., and then don't pay off the winners will be out of the game.

JMHO.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THIS IS WHY POOL NEED ONE SINGLE GOVERNING ORGANIZATION, THAT WOULD GUARANTEE WINNERS OF TOURNAMENT GET PAID, OR THE GOVERNING BODY WOULD PAY OFF THE PRIZES.

Other sports like Bowling, Tennis, Golf, etc have the governing body that is responsible. Beside Pool Players would know the event they play in is governed by "X" Organization, and the money is guaranteed.

Pool Players will some day wake up, and finally demand a single governing body be formed. To protect everyone.

Plus Pool will get cleaned up, and the shady characters who have events collect entry fees, etc., and then don't pay off the winners will be out of the game.

JMHO.

I understand and agree with your most of your sentiments. I will just say that everyone longs for the benevolent dictator...until they get him/her. I think the evolution and creative destruction going on in pool right now is ultimately a good thing. It's just a little painful going through it. There are some exciting things happening and there is hope for the future IMO.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Are you saying she is dying....

I've been told by her inner group she's not doing well....is the best I can offer. Her health was NOT good, and she was NOT blind in the past, as she is in the present, her son has to help walk her around arm in arm.

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hold up.. That's not cool. Don't be speculating on someone's demise. That's not funny.
Move on please.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been told by her inner group she's not doing well....is the best I can offer. Her health was NOT good, and she was NOT blind in the past, as she is in the present, her son has to help walk her around arm in arm.
That is horrible and beautiful, if true.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JMHO.

I don't know whom they are going to demand this from. It is going to take significant sacrifice to pursue organization, much less to make it a success.

It always comes back to the $. Are pro players going to fund an organization with a double digit % of their winnings? Is someone with the skills to make it work going to run the organization for peanuts?

And the big money the players are gonna be playing for? Who is funding that?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have read this whole thread....i honestly do not know why i am giving my opinion as i usually stay out of these negative threads.

i am one of the few who stood up for str8shots in the 1st thread that was started concerning them.the main reason i defended them was because i hoped they would succeed and wanted every one to give them a chance.

as what seems par for the course on this forum every one wanted to be judge...jury ..and executioner with out having all the facts.

justin started an apology thread. some apologized just because justin did and now want to take their apologies back. lmao at such childish remarks.

all too often people moan and groan about the state of pool nowadays. they say they wish some one would step up and do something.

it seems to me str8shots had good intentions and i applaud them for it. i am also dismayed at their lack of success.

so far str8shots has not responded to this thread...i do not blame them. they have always been racked over the coals so to speak every time they post.

to all the naysayers who said str8shots would never succeed i say ...it looks like you were right. i also say to you ...why don;t you step up and take their place if you can accomplish what they failed to do ?

Reactions: JAM

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know whom they are going to demand this from. It is going to take significant sacrifice to pursue organization, much less to make it a success.

It always comes back to the $. Are pro players going to fund an organization with a double digit % of their winnings? Is someone with the skills to make it work going to run the organization for peanuts?

And the big money the players are gonna be playing for? Who is funding that?

You are correct. There was no money. There is no money. There will be no money. That's just the way it is with billiards.

Anyone trying to organize the men without money will fail, because money is the only thing that will get most men pool players to stop acting like children. Case in point: When it looked as if the IPT was going to offer big payouts, the men were the most behaved in 30 years.

The women are different. They were willing to organize for little money for a long time. Unfortunately, the little money they did have dried up.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I understand and agree with your most of your sentiments. I will just say that everyone longs for the benevolent dictator...until they get him/her. I think the evolution and creative destruction going on in pool right now is ultimately a good thing. It's just a little painful going through it. There are some exciting things happening and there is hope for the future IMO.

The problem with Pool be it Professional, or Amateur it is controlled by many organizations, or BIG FISH each with their own LITTLE POND. I see zero working together for a common good. As each Big Little Fish has to have their piece off the pie.

If Pool had only ONE Governing or Sanctioning Body that GUARANTEED PRIZES, as I said this thread would have never started, because the money would have been paid by the promoter, or Sanctioning Body.

But you got BCAPL, APA, ACS, CSI, etc. (not picking on any one) and how many other groups around the USA trying to have their own little pond, ruled by that ponds big fish.

Recall years ago in PHX a Big 25K added Tournament that paid off the top finishers in rubber checks. Think it was Johnny Archer who got the biggest rubble check. That eveny was sanctioning by I forget the name of the group. But that sanctioning body got their membership fee, and the checks were still rubber. That sanctioning body guaranteed nothing, but they got there fee that went into who pocket?

Pool has how many Amateur Players, how many Professional Players in the USA that belong to how many different leagues brands, or sanctioning body?

If all those player paid say $10.00/year to ONE Pool Sanctioning Body, that was like a NASCAR, NFL, MLB, PGA, etc. of pool would anything change.

Yes the BCAPL, APA, ACS, and other little group would disappear, and the strength in number would have clout to attract advertisers, attract sponsors, because the new sanctioning body would have over 500,000 members.

Also when you entered a tournament be it a little local bar tournament, or big regional if you say the LOGO of lets call it the NEW WORLD POOL PLAYER ASSOCIATION (NWPPA) you would know what was advertised, would be the final pay out, and if the promoter or bar owner recanted not paying out the prize money, the NWPPA would make the debit good.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the NUTS? The National Unified Tour System?

Some guy came on here and said-Let's do it' with some vague ideas about qualifying systems and uniting tours etc. and he was practically Sainted by the members here. We found the answer!!! It was a huge success before a single thing happened! Then you know what happened?-not a single thing!!

Ahahahahaha- We are hopeless and helpless!! Best thing to do- just enjoy our cult sport and lower your expectations.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Someone send this kid AZ gold, if you can spare a cue case or a cue stick, subscription to billiards magazine.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone send this kid AZ gold, if you can spare a cue case or a cue stick, subscription to billiards magazine.

I appreciate the kindness, but I only accept cash and bitcoins - LOL :wink:

Seriously though, I am still going to be able to pay my rent without the prize money, it is just frustrating because of the communication problems with Str8Shots. I hoped this thread would have got their attention, but it appears they have gone dark. Their website has been down and all emails have bounced. I do hope Kimberly's health gets better - not just to see if my situation can be settled, but because she is a human being that loves this great sport.

I have learned a lot from this experience, and it has been great to get everyone's perspective in this thread. For the future, I will probably stick with mostly larger tournaments backed by well established organizations like CSI, VNEA, APA, etc.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I appreciate the kindness, but I only accept cash and bitcoins - LOL :wink:

Seriously though, I am still going to be able to pay my rent without the prize money, it is just frustrating because of the communication problems with Str8Shots. I hoped this thread would have got their attention, but it appears they have gone dark. Their website has been down and all emails have bounced. I do hope Kimberly's health gets better - not just to see if my situation can be settled, but because she is a human being that loves this great sport.

I have learned a lot from this experience, and it has been great to get everyone's perspective in this thread. For the future, I will probably stick with mostly larger tournaments backed by well established organizations like CSI, VNEA, APA, etc.

IMHO if you have prize money, it should have been paid to you, no ifs and or butts. That was what you were playing for, and won. A prize.

Like the guy who won the contest recent on AZB about designing a Cue, and the winner would get a FREE CUE for having the winning design. No cue was ever awarded if memory serve correctly.

Pool has too much history of winners not getting paid, or winner of prizes not getting their prize. Maybe that is why pool's image is tarnished.

GoldenFlash

Banned
i have read this whole thread....i honestly do not know why i am giving my opinion as i usually stay out of these negative threads.

i am one of the few who stood up for str8shots in the 1st thread that was started concerning them.the main reason i defended them was because i hoped they would succeed and wanted every one to give them a chance.
as what seems par for the course on this forum every one wanted to be judge...jury ..and executioner with out having all the facts.
justin started an apology thread. some apologized just because justin did and now want to take their apologies back. lmao at such childish remarks.
all too often people moan and groan about the state of pool nowadays. they say they wish some one would step up and do something.
it seems to me str8shots had good intentions and i applaud them for it. i am also dismayed at their lack of success.so far str8shots has not responded to this thread...i do not blame them. they have always been racked over the coals so to speak every time they post.
to all the naysayers who said str8shots would never succeed i say ...it looks like you were right. i also say to you ...why don;t you step up and take their place if you can accomplish what they failed to do ?
What a bunch of nonsense.
So... good intentions matter more than accomplishments? (but they had a good heart and were "turning their lives around")
Apologies mean more than doing it right the first time? ("he was a good boy")
And you "don't blame them"?
Bah...humbug.