Supporting those that support the players.

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking. There is a lot of companies out there that used to support professional pool now that really don't anymore. As a player, I try to play on or with equipment that comes from companies that support pool tours. I play with a mezz. I have the magic rack and will soon get a turtle rack. I have a set of aramith balls that I carry with me. Why not as players and lovers of this sport, play and use products from companies that support pool tours. OK. Flame away.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Why not as players and lovers of this sport, play and use products from companies that support pool tours. OK. Flame away.

I am sure that we all do or try our best to a greater or lesser extent.

It might better said re supporting companies that do have the ability to support pool and don't.

Lets get an online petition going and send it Coca Cola, Lays, etc, and tell them that we will no longer purchase any product unless they consider supporting Pro Pool.

If we got 500,000 names, do you believe that number would even make them blink?

I was playing pool tonight and some stupid program came on the big screen. It was so stupid that I can't even remember what they were doing or playing.

Yet, it was on TV and they had butts in the seats. And, we can't get any major sponsors for pool or anyone that would consider putting it on the telly.

I truly believe that most of us do support the companies in the Billiard Industry to the best of our ability.

If we didn't and haven't been, they would have been toast many years ago.

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong Impression

Sorry Ridr. I guess I was a little vague there at the end. What Im saying, kinda is quite supporting the billiards companies that don't support pool. McDermott, Viking, Brunswick. Companies that may have used to, but have now quit. Mezz, Lucasi, hell even Meucci has started to sponsor players again. Cuetec, Magic Rack, Diamond and some other companies are too. Hell, If they aren't supporting players or a tour, lets not support them.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Ridr. I guess I was a little vague there at the end. What Im saying, kinda is quite supporting the billiards companies that don't support pool. McDermott, Viking, Brunswick. Companies that may have used to, but have now quit. Mezz, Lucasi, hell even Meucci has started to sponsor players again. Cuetec, Magic Rack, Diamond and some other companies are too. Hell, If they aren't supporting players or a tour, lets not support them.

This is an excellent point, and an idea I'm surprised no one has pointed out before (that I have noticed).

I think some of the big ones that should be mentioned that haven't been so far are OB, Kamui, Inside Pool, and CSI (I believe the distributor for the magic rack).

I definitely do my part. I play with an OB shaft (actually 2), an OB break shaft, Kamui tips (most of the time). I also am an authorized installer for Kamui and have built a bit of a reputation in my area for doing awesome tip work. Kamui is my first recommended tip. Pretty much every stream I've watched over the past couple of years was sponsored by OB, Kamui, and/or Inside Pool.

I also make a point of going to the Super Billiards Expo every year. Great event...Allen Hopkins is sure doing his part.

This is an EXCELLENT thread!

KMRUNOUT

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Ah, I see what you mean. With the exception of Viking, which I believe have just started up again and may support pool in the future when things get brighter. Hope so.

I am not aware if McDermott currently sponsors anything or what they have done in the past. If they don't, they would be one company that you would hope should be able to throw a little in the pot.

Things are tough all over. Not trying to harp on it but, Coke, Lays, Oscar Meyer etc, sell their products at halls and tournaments.

People should or could be making an effort to hound on them a bit more.

Last edited:

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Companies and sponsors follow the money. If the payback is short of profitable for them, they invest in other areas. Just like any other business it's just that business. Pool in many aspects and in many areas is just not a money maker. It would be great for sponsors to cough up more money to the players with the sponsors making money from pool, but it is all about profit. They put out a certain product , run the numbers, endorse or push such item, and once the profit isn't there , they move on. Companies sponsor less and less due to the downsize of pool in the last several years. If most would realize they just may be the cause of such down sizing.

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understanding

Daniel,
I understand what you are saying and Agree on the business aspect. What I am saying though, is there are companies out there trying to do their part in helping. Kamui, Mezz, POVPOOL, CSI, SBE, and others. What I am trying to say, is that we support those people by buying their products. Those are the products I am going to buy because they are the ones still trying to promote pool as much as they can.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking. There is a lot of companies out there that used to support professional pool now that really don't anymore. As a player, I try to play on or with equipment that comes from companies that support pool tours. I play with a mezz. I have the magic rack and will soon get a turtle rack. I have a set of aramith balls that I carry with me. Why not as players and lovers of this sport, play and use products from companies that support pool tours. OK. Flame away.

There are MANY company's within the industry that you HAVE NOT listed...
Is this to say that there efforts are far less? Or is it that you only support the company's of YOUR liking?
JOY Billiards just did the Chinese 8 Ball invitation, with a xxx amount of $$$ added. What products from Joy Billiards have you bought lately?
Not trying to antagonise; just saying
:thumbup:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
he's talking about US pool...

There are MANY company's within the industry that you HAVE NOT listed...
Is this to say that there efforts are far less? Or is it that you only support the company's of YOUR liking?
JOY Billiards just did the Chinese 8 Ball invitation, with a xxx amount of $$$ added. What products from Joy Billiards have you bought lately?
Not trying to antagonise; just saying

chinese pro pool isn't floundering, Asian pool isn't floundering, the Euro tour isn't floundering.

US Pro pool needs help, 9ball is saying let's support the companies that bolster US pro pool so that they know that their efforts aren't wasted.

Jaden

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There are a few companies that support pool all the time that more than make it up by the very high prices they charge for their products. A lot of peer pressure and, "the highest price has to be the best thinking", helps too.. I won't pay 20% or more because they sponsor a tournament or player. Johnnyt

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For multiple reasons:

1) I'm a cue snob. Custom cue makers are too small to support pool. I don't want a production Meucci cue.
2) I buy equipment that works for me, not because the company supports pool.
3) Some companies that do support pool, make crappy products.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you calling for a boycott on companies that you don't think supports pool but makes a profit from it. Do you know anything about the companies you want to boycott? Their profit margin, how many employees they have etc. Not all businesses make a huge profit. Some actually barely get by but their profit goes in the way of employing people. Just saying not all companies are on equal terms as far as being able to support Pros.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The premise of this thread doesn't fly with me.

Any company that makes good pool products is doing a service to the game. Why would we hold our business back from any of them and possibly discourage those who might want to produce superior pool products in the future?

Those who support the game are deserving our gratitude and their name recognition is high because they do so, but withholding business from others in the pool industry is illogical.

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bella

Bella,
Just because I didn't list them doesn't mean they don't support pool. I was only listing as examples. I didn't include all because I was only relaying examples.

Cue Snob.
If that's what works for you then cool. Use what works if that's the way it feels.

SJM,
Yes that is what I am saying and I knew there would be a lot of people to disagree as I expected that.

I just don't believe in supporting companies that wont support pool growth in the US.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chinese pro pool isn't floundering, Asian pool isn't floundering, the Euro tour isn't floundering.

US Pro pool needs help, 9ball is saying let's support the companies that bolster US pro pool so that they know that their efforts aren't wasted.

Jaden

I get it, thanks! :thumbup:

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bella,
Just because I didn't list them doesn't mean they don't support pool. I was only listing as examples. I didn't include all because I was only relaying examples.

Cue Snob.
If that's what works for you then cool. Use what works if that's the way it feels.

SJM,
Yes that is what I am saying and I knew there would be a lot of people to disagree as I expected that.

I just don't believe in supporting companies that wont support pool growth in the US.

There needs to be an exact definition of what 'helping pool' means. Then one can make an informed decision on which company's do help and which company's do not help.
One could then go as far as naming and shaming, if that were to be on the agenda?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you calling for a boycott on companies that you don't think supports pool but makes a profit from it. Do you know anything about the companies you want to boycott? Their profit margin, how many employees they have etc. Not all businesses make a huge profit. Some actually barely get by but their profit goes in the way of employing people. Just saying not all companies are on equal terms as far as being able to support Pros.

Yes. I'd rather see a pool company employ people to do a full-time job, rather than see it sponsor pool. Best solution; work for a pool company if your love playing pool! Win-win :thumbup:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean supporting pool or supporting pro pool? Most know I'm a McDermott fanboy. They have some of the best customer service I've seen, Jayme has answered any and all questions I've had without acting bothered or asking anything in return. They are one of the few that offer a lifetime warranty including warpage. To me they offer one of the best bang for your buck production cues out there. They are affordable for the new league player and hit good enough for any veteran shooter and continue to improve. And they are made in the US. That's reason enough for me to stick with them. I'm not a huge fan of the Kumui tips and I'm not about to spend 25 dollars for chalk just because they advertise. Just my .02 and to each their own.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:lol:.

All pool companies support pool by giving that big

20% off retail prices and give free shipping if you

spend over $100 dollars..............:rotflmao1:

Pool cues for sale and cats are free.........