Surfer Bob The Real Deal?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I had never heard of him, so I bought his book. I knew who most of the top BB players were in the 1960's and 70's, but can't remember him. According to his book, he was one of the best around...was he? Johnnyt

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Never met the guy. But I sure seem to have met a lot of people who were "the best around" back in their younger years.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you mean Surfer Rod Curry. He was a monster on the bar box with big cue ball in 70's and 80's. He put serious high dollar beat downs on lots of players. He also took some colossal losses.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think you mean Surfer Rod Curry. He was a monster on the bar box with big cue ball in 70's and 80's. He put serious high dollar beat downs on lots of players. He also took some colossal losses.

Yes, thank you, I meant Rod. Thanks for the response. Johnnyt

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Backers or bet his own? Just curious.

Rod bet his own. He also worked for the government in high tech jobs that paid well. Plus he was triple tough, hard as nails. He traveled alone and went everywhere and would play ANYONE! His best game was last pocket Eight Ball.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rod bet his own. He also worked for the government in high tech jobs that paid well. Plus he was triple tough, hard as nails. He traveled alone and went everywhere and would play ANYONE! His best game was last pocket Eight Ball.
Wow. Interesting guy. Thanks

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Surfer Bob was Rod's 3rd cousin. While Rod enjoyed many successes in life and in pool, Bob developed a canned-cheese addiction and crashed his scooter into a palm tree. His game was never the same after that day. Should be a lesson to us all.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surfer Bob was Rod's 3rd cousin. While Rod enjoyed many successes in life and in pool, Bob developed a canned-cheese addiction and crashed his scooter into a palm tree. His game was never the same after that day. Should be a lesson to us all.

pour some liquor out for all the canned cheese-addicted players out there, the struggle is real

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Rod had a web site of sorts that had his list of top players he had done battle with, and also had a ton of pictures of great players taken back in their younger, playing days. Worth looking up.

Yes, he was a real player, very tough to beat.

Will Prout

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Surfer Bob was covered from head to toe in tattoos and played and supported the US Open every year... He also stood on the grass and wiggled his toes in yards that belonged to old men and not him... They really hated it... That was back when the old guys only had real yards and not their cyber yards on the internet LOL.....

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the link and to the OP. If you dig around there is some real 'interesting stuff'. Looking over his 'list' it appears an older local gentlemen 'Bucktooth' Cook from where I live was one of the few who took Bob's cabbage. He still has serious game when he plays.

From the 'list > "Charles Richard Cook Against Rod, Bucktooth took the $ down. If you side bet when he's around, you're the sucker"

Oh Surfer Rod could play and from what I read a very un-conventional stroke.

-Kat

Love The Game

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I saw him a lot around Denver in the early 70s. He always wanted to play with the big bar box cue ball. I played golf on the snooker table with him fairly cheap just to try it. That didn't turn out well though! :):grin-square:
I know he went off several times playing one hole for big money on the bar box when he was in his sixties. Always a show when he was around and not afraid to try anyone.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw phots provided by Mary kenison
where is she today?
She was a good player who owned the cuetopia in Vegas for sometime

Verl Horn intrioduced us,she played super for the money

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How did you match up with him Jay?

He drove an old Chevy ('50 or '51) into Dayton back in the mid 60's. He stopped at a kids poolroom that I sometimes hung out in. I was 20 years old and the best player in the room. He walked in looking for a game and everyone looked at me. I took one look at his face and his muscular body (in a tight T-shirt) and I knew I was way over my head. I played him anyway, $1 on the five and $2 on the nine. I held on for maybe 30 or 40 minutes before he got me stuck $10 and I quit.

Many years later I went in with Cole, who played him last pocket Eight Ball. They played for $100 a game back in the mid 70's, a huge bet then. I took $20 of Cole's action and gave him a hundred dollar bill to cover my end. I told him I was out if he lost five games. Cole busted Rod (it took all day and all night) for maybe two thousand and I got back $400. I was stoked! :D

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
Great Read!

Thanks for the link and to the OP. If you dig around there is some real 'interesting stuff'. Looking over his 'list' it appears an older local gentlemen 'Bucktooth' Cook from where I live was one of the few who took Bob's cabbage. He still has serious game when he plays.

From the 'list > "Charles Richard Cook Against Rod, Bucktooth took the $ down. If you side bet when he's around, you're the sucker"

Oh Surfer Rod could play and from what I read a very un-conventional stroke.

-Kat

Now that there is some good, fascinating reading. Thanks for posting.