SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think that since he’s thrown up so many big numbers in the past, not including the record, he would be a contender for an over 500 run.

Someone did post that he had surgery on his hand so he may be taking a break, even if he was allowed to participate in this exclusive exhibition.
Fair enough. Obviously he’s the only one in recent times that’s done it. I just think he’s in retirement mode and won’t play competitively again. He went out with a bang.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Refer to post 13.
Noted! I do think his participation would be a bonus for your event, but you are the promoter.

However it works out, it should generate some interest for the game, good luck!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No bad vibes from me to you. I look forward to seeing some long runs.
I take it back, looks like you have long been part of the truther/conspiracy brigade when it comes to the 626.

Long runs are still cool though and whatever gets more top pros to try them will be great for the game and for the fans.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I think Filler could run 600+ if he devoted himself to doing it. No, I have nothing to prove that assertion with. Just he’s young, shoots straight as anyone out there, and plays the game well.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it back, looks like you have long been part of the truther/conspiracy brigade when it comes to the 626.

Long runs are still cool though and whatever gets more top pros to try them will be great for the game and for the fans.

I have no trouble standing by that comment.

It does have a certain odor, given the way it has been handled. So a rational person can have their doubts. Not making an accusation, just sayin' it smells funny and it's not a pleasant whiff.

Lou Figueroa

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(yawn) Nice try but the last thing I need is a spokesman to translate or explain what I say. We’ve been all over this in the other endlessly long thread.

Lou Figueroa
your just An Angry little man. Lol John wished everyone best of luck on fb records were made to be broken and I hope one of them does.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your just An Angry little man. Lol John wished everyone best of luck on fb records were made to be broken and I hope one of them does.

That's great but I'm not angry about anything.

I just came back from the American 14.1 Championship in VA Beach where I saw lots of friends and got the chance to commentate several matches and buy stuff. I also had the opportunity to go over the the International 9ball and 1pocket tournament. So I'm actually in a pretty good mood at the moment.

But thank you for your intelligent, well spoken participation in this thread.

Lou Figueroa

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking forward to see what kind of runs these players can put up. I think the main reason why JS did what he did was it was his goal to break Mosconi's record. I don't think a lot of the great players today cared about the record so they didn't attempt to break it. Now you will have those players doing high runs so it really will be cool to see.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I am looking forward to see what kind of runs these players can put up. I think the main reason why JS did what he did was it was his goal to break Mosconi's record. I don't think a lot of the great players today cared about the record so they didn't attempt to break it. Now you will have those players doing high runs so it really will be cool to see.
Agreed. Only thing I'd add is that I think a lot of the the great players of yesteryear also didn't care much about the record either. Could someone like Mizerak have broken it? I'd say yes, but at this point it's all just speculation obviously. This is not meant to take anything away from John at all.

In my little amateur world, the most disappointing part of chasing my high run is not so much getting close and missing, it's the thought of having to invest all the time and mental energy into bearing down again. I can't imagine what it's like to spend a few hours climbing into the 300s, to catch a skid, miss, or just have no shot after opening the balls, and then have to bear down a few more hours to get back up into the 300s again and then try and keep going from there. It just sounds exhausting.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Only thing I'd add is that I think a lot of the the great players of yesteryear also didn't care much about the record either. Could someone like Mizerak have broken it? I'd say yes, but at this point it's all just speculation obviously. This is not meant to take anything away from John at all.

In my little amateur world, the most disappointing part of chasing my high run is not so much getting close and missing, it's the thought of having to invest all the time and mental energy into bearing down again. I can't imagine what it's like to spend a few hours climbing into the 300s, to catch a skid, miss, or just have no shot after opening the balls, and then have to bear down a few more hours to get back up into the 300s again and then try and keep going from there. It just sounds exhausting.
The last part is why I feel a lot of players today didn't mess with it and why JS needed break days. Why would Shane invest all that time and anguish when he could practice his break and position play and win tournaments? But now with all these players going for high runs, it will be very interesting to see where everyone ends up. We could see runs of over 400, 500, and maybe even see 626 broken. Or we could also not see a run over 400. We got no clue how this is going to go, which I feel is the exciting part of it.

gerryf

I just came back from the American 14.1 Championship in VA Beach where I saw lots of friends and got the chance to commentate several matches and buy stuff. I also had the opportunity to go over the the International 9ball and 1pocket tournament. So I'm actually in a pretty good mood at the moment.

Lou Figueroa
Well, maybe you did and maybe you didn't. Maybe you just claimed to be there and it was actually Danny Harriman who did the commentating.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
At the DCC they've held a 14.1 high run competition how many times now? How many high run records have been broken in that event? Don't JF hold the high run record of 285 in that event?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
At the DCC they've held a 14.1 high run competition how many times now? How many high run records have been broken in that event? Don't JF hold the high run record of 285 in that event?
That was on a diamond table and the players were limited to 10 attempts per buy in I believe. John Schmidt himself never broke 200 under those conditions I believe. This event is on 5 inch pockets and unlimited attempts over several days.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That was on a diamond table and the players were limited to 10 attempts per buy in I believe. John Schmidt himself never broke 200 under those conditions I believe. This event is on 5 inch pockets and unlimited attempts over several days.
Why not make them 6" corner pockets😅then someone might break Johns record, but would it really mean anything if John set the bar on 4 3/4" corner pockets?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did anyone mention the table specs for the high run attempts?
Bobby mentioned them on the American 14.1 stream, so I assume they are somewhere written down.

And no, I can’t remember what he said other than ‘Brunswick.’

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last part is why I feel a lot of players today didn't mess with it and why JS needed break days. Why would Shane invest all that time and anguish when he could practice his break and position play and win tournaments? But now with all these players going for high runs, it will be very interesting to see where everyone ends up. We could see runs of over 400, 500, and maybe even see 626 broken. Or we could also not see a run over 400. We got no clue how this is going to go, which I feel is the exciting part of it.

Exactly, we really don't know what's going to happen.

Lou Figueroa