SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

LWW

MEMGO5
Silver Member
"Maybe he did and maybe he didn’t"

English Translation is "maybe he did, and maybe him and the witnesses and the room owner and the BCA, and Bob Jewett and all the other people who saw the run are just making it all up"??
I ran 1,029,384,756 balls in a row.

Then I woke up.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's imagine a hard break shot has a 5% chance of scratching. That seems pretty reasonable for the usual Hohmann-esque draw break that goes back down to the far rail. To get to 627 balls, the player needs to make 44 successful breaks. The chances of performing 44 consecutive breaks without scratching? 10%. And that's before considering that the player may not have a clear shot after a non-scratched break.

If the player has a 2% chance of scratching then the math starts looking a lot more manageable (41% chance of not scratching in 44 consecutive breaks).

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like Shane will begin around 6PM EST.

Over the last two days in 18 innings of play he’s run a 242 and a 257. I’m thinking he’ll get past that last number today.

Tune in if you can:

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Wonder if we’ll see less aggressive initial break shots because of this. It may be better to minimize scratch risk even if it means having to play more secondary break shots.
It looks like so far Shane is playing for some pretty big angles into the stack. He’s getting a high proportion of racks that don’t need a secondary breakshot at all.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will there be a list of all runs, even the low numbers? I think it can be interesting to see the range. Those low runs can also be used for any data anaylses.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder if we’ll see less aggressive initial break shots because of this. It may be better to minimize scratch risk even if it means having to play more secondary break shots.
The old school players worked the rack and opened up a few balls at a time, not the “big blast” breaks that have evolved in the last 20-30-40 years. A more controlled game.

Can’t play a lick of 14.1,
Fatboy😁

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if you play a round of golf every day you get 4 tries at a hole in one. so making a hole in one is a great feat for most golfers in their life. maybe the best players may have had ten or twenty or so in their whole life that may be the record i dont know.

but if you stay at one particular par 3 hole and hit hundreds or thousands of balls you will get many holes in one and it isnt the same as the guy that made his once in a lifetime. and if a pro did it he would certainly break the record for the most holes in one in a lifetime.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will there be a list of all runs, even the low numbers? I think it can be interesting to see the range. Those low runs can also be used for any data anaylses.

So far the on site crew has done a great job keeping track of the stats and making them available — hopefully they will be able to keep it up.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, nevermind with what I just posted.

(We’re new at this.)

Shane is still on tap to start this afternoon and I will post his start time as soon as everything is more firmly in place.

Sorry for any confusion.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
So here’s the latest:

Day 1 of the 14.1 High Run Challenge will begin at 4pm (EST) today with a Q & A session with promoter Bobby Chamberlain. For those of you that don’t know him, Bobby is a top flight pro and has been around the game for a long time. He knows the history and current state of the sport and is eager to discuss this event.

Shane will begin his high run attempts around 6pm.

Lou Figueroa
Your efforts to help with this event are greatly appreciated, thanks Lou.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your efforts to help with this event are greatly appreciated, thanks Lou.

Thanks, CB!

The post you quoted has been overcome by events. Shane got something stuck in his gums at dinner last night and is being seen by a dentist.

Lou Figueroa

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for putting this together. Fun to watch when time allows. Good to see straight pool getting some attention! Perhaps I missed it, but who else is set to come and give this a shot after SVB?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
straight pool is the original foundation for pool as its played nowadays. so anything that helps it is great.

but straight pool died a slow death for one big reason. people go to a pool room to shoot and straight pool is a game where you sit and wait a long time for your turn. so isnt very much instant fun.

when we played to just 8 balls first( one rack) it was easier to get a game with other than a died in the wool straight pool player who of course would scoff at that.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old school players worked the rack and opened up a few balls at a time, not the “big blast” breaks that have evolved in the last 20-30-40 years. A more controlled game.

Can’t play a lick of 14.1,
Fatboy😁
Back in the day of slow cloth and composition balls a blast break shot was required to open the rack.
Fast forward to fast cloth and modern balls the blast is not always required.
In the 80's I watched a lot of straight pool played by Allen Hopkins and Neptune Joe Frady.
If you are not familiar with Frady he was about 9/10 of Hopkins ability.
Frady would blast and Hopkins would nibble.
I learned on the old slow cloth and I'm a blaster.
Now some off angle break shots require a nibble.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I have just been informed that Shane is about to start.

Tune in.

Lou Figueroa

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only three or four known uTube videos exist to demonstrate the old school for people to review.
So, if you can’t play a lick, how do you know about some of the old school 14.1 players’ prowess?
No one discusses that type of play anymore.
I was taught that 14.1 game in 1969, just over fifty years ago in a bygone era of artistic pool players.
There is much more to the old school type of 14.1 than you’ll ever hear discussed on any pool forum today.
radar
I’m not blind, stupid or uninformed.

Have a great and good luck,

Warmest regards
Fatboy😍😀