SVB vs Chang Update Thread

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in practical terms-I doubt they would notice and drop off in viewers. They are already in a bad spot-which feeds the problem. Their desire to “grow” feeds the bullshit machine

Somethings in life aren’t meant to be packaged, delivered and monetized.
I think you're giving the PPV Money Grab™ streamers credit for more viewers than they really have.

But, if you're right, professional pool in the USA may be stuck with playing races to 4, decided by spot shots. :(

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with any sports betting, the event promoters do not have obligation to bettors even though bettors may think they do. Bettors bet at their own risk. :LOL:

Pool like any sports is entertainment. Do not take it too seriously :ROFLMAO:
That’s 100% true. But when people don’t do what they say, they lose customers.

Can you imagine if the major league sports changed the rules mid game all the time? All the gamblers would quit. Which is a large portion of their viewing audience. In pool, an even larger percentage of the viewing audience is gambling on the match.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this would let all betters out of there bets right? I'd be pissed if I was betting on someone and then the match was changed at the end
Both players were exhausted, I think it was a good decision for them as well as those keeping up with it.

The only issue now is if you had taken Chang and the games, would you have already covered the bet, or could you still potentially lose it if SVB happens to cover the spread to 155?

My hunch is, when they made the decision to stop for the night and race to 40 the following night, they were only thinking of themselves. They were not thinking about the ramifications and conflicts this would present for everyone who had bet $ on the match, particularly with a specified game spread.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a difficult situation for all and likely only benefits the players and the streamers...and the staff at the poolroom.

Correction:
It is a difficult situation for all and likely only benefits ONE player and the streamers...and the staff at the poolroom.
I reckon no matter how confusing it is to a peon like me, it had to be mutually agreed upon.

Fatboy, seems like you know SVB and likely his backers. I know many on here believe that Shane only bets his own, but seems like he would almost have to have a backer(s) as many big money matches as he plays.

How does something like this typically go down? Do the players dictate the change of terms? The backers? In other words, could Chang go to his people at 115 all and say "I'm done tonight?"

Do SVB's people maybe say look we got you whipped, let's extend this for more cash?

What happens if this new race goes 39- 39 and they are still playing tomorrow morning? Wash, rinse, and repeat?

Again, just looking for a little insight into the world of high stakes gambling/stakehorsing.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I would be interested in knowing if the extended set was discussed between the players.

Did an exchange between appear on the stream? Did somebody else tell them they we going longer?
I don't know. I had the stream muted because I couldn't stand Steve's commentary I turned the sound back on just in time to hear them say they would be back at 4 to finish. I didn't even hear about the 40 games being played today thing through the stream only saw it in this thread...

Jaden

I'll tell you what though, I am tired today...and I still have parent/teacher conferences to do this afternoon before I could take a nap. Plus by the time my parent teacher conferences are done, the match will be on again and I won't be able to sleep for a bunch more hours...FML....

Last edited:

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is this is the first match I’ve seen in awhile that the players really look like they are playing for big money. I’m not saying other matches have been exhibitions or whatever, but this one has a different vibe for sure. Last night there was a hour and forty minute stretch and I think they played five games and every single one was a battle. You can feel it and see it in the play that both these guys are really grinding.
You could hear the discussion on the stream about them adding more money and extending the race.
As for the play, I thought Jaden was dead spot on earlier. Shane’s break is unpredictable and he’s rarely getting open looks and Chang is breaking great and consistently getting good starters. Chang has missed a few more balls and Shane will usually take advantage of those but the break is keeping him from stringing much together. Great match so far.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I hope all the ppl who bet make contact and work it out on a case by case basis. This is extremely messy.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're giving the PPV Money Grab™ streamers credit for more viewers than they really have.

But, if you're right, professional pool in the USA may be stuck with playing races to 4, decided by spot shots. :(
Both points you are correct. We agree.

very good point on the first one. Your spot on, I was incorrect, bad judgment on my part

and the race to 4, spot shot shoot out is the pinnacle of a new low for pro pool.

best
Fatboy😀😀

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope all the ppl who bet make contact and work it out on a case by case basis. This is extremely messy.
I have no bets on this particular match. That being said, here's how I would judge as a moderator.

Even bets for the entire match - Still on til end of match.
If you had Chang +8.5 games, you started counting your cash when he hit 112. Deservedly so. At that point, the match is over.
If you had SVB -8.5 games, sorry bud, it's pay up time.
If you gave up, or received 4 games or less, the bet remains til end of match.

I think this is why many times people like to bet on the daily set. Even if it is a 3 day matchup.

Just my opinion.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't you have to sell another car?? Besides your Uber and bus line accounts you are setting up you might wanna consider Doordash too. :LOL::LOL:
Great plan! Doodash, I forgot about that idea. I’m gonna need to get busy with my new lifestyle since I gambled away the last one. 😁😁

Dannydizzan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like if you bet on whoever gets to 120 first you still have a bet. If you bet on one side to “win” you still have a bet. I have no action btw and see both side of the argument but I think you either let it ride to the 155 total or call it null and void completely.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C83F13CE-2A20-4CFF-A460-2BB50FE29D0C.jpeg

No telling what is being cooked behind closed doors.

I smell chop suey.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet “by the day on SVB on days 2 & 3 only.

I lost day 2 as SVB lost more games

I won day 3 as SVB won more games

wash.

I asked around to a few well known pool gamblers and that was their thought it was mine as well.

I’m open to opinions-what Frosty says is good with me. He’s smart, fair, not involved. It’s not big $ so there’s no real situation. It’s just a first for me in almost 40 years if this to have a result like this.

how ever this settles out is cool and because the bets were public the resolution will be public. I think that’s fair to everyone. If not ok too.

I’m here for fun, not to argue or grind about lunch money. $100 & $55 were the 2 bets with different guys. I lost day one. We agreed to roll over to day 3 our 2nd day.

there that should confuse eveeyone

Fatboy <———thanks guys for talking me down off the cliff last night ❤️😀