SVB's Mosconi Facebook post

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I had qualified my statements sufficiently. But yes if the US GOAT isn’t playing, I think it affects interest in the US if not hollows out interest from British fans.

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)
US fans want ONE thing: A WIN. Looking at the potential Euro squad i don't see his attendance as being a big deal. His play in this event has been, say, lackluster to say the least. I just don't think this style of competition suits him. He's a lone-wolf and not a rah-rah team kinda player. He may never play well in this. Hope i'm wrong but that's how i see this playing out.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
For anyone who might be concerned that SVB won't play in this upcoming MC based on the FB post, I would say he's a lock to participate. His less than stellar past MC performances notwithstanding, he is the best player the USA has, by a lot, and they won't deny him being on the team.

His statement was polite and professional and, as pt so astutely pointed out, likely written by an Englishman (or woman) adding to the near certainty that Shane will be wearing Team USA colors, or colours, this coming December. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This FB post is proof that SVB is a great player ...he beat the ghost so bad that the ghost
is now working for him....’cause his FB post HAS to be ghost written....
...what American uses the spelling “programme” instead of “program”?

This spelling is also a clue that the ‘ghost’ is English.

Kind of, but not really. "Programme" is almost univerally used in the UK but certainly not universally. Likewise, "program" is the preferred spelling in the USA but is by no means universal.

Still could be a ghost though but whatever - he's not playing in the next Mosconi Cup. Not a bad thing from a spectators point of view as he adds nothing to the drama of the competition. From a USA pool point of view not too bad either as he appears to play very badly in the team format.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If Matchroom is not paying all of the extra training joke, more than SVB won't be playing. Just get another country to play all of Europe. Johnnyt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Training? SVB don't need no stinkin' training!!!

The whole Mosconi concept is flawed, IMHO.

Races to five are nothing more than crap shoots.

Sure, there are "winners" at the end, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the "better" players.

The Mosconi Cup is a "SHOW"...like WWE.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure, there are "winners" at the end, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the "better" players.

And that attitude is why Europe keeps winning.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that attitude is why Europe keeps winning.

FWIW, I DON'T CARE who wins.

If they are playing longer sets for actual money, it may interest me, but this format bores me.

I am not a "nationalist" when it comes to pool. I prefer the "better" player to win, no matter where they are from.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about races to 11 made up of races to 5?

What would you call those?

Are you saying "each player plays his opponent 11 races to 5" for each match?

If that is the case, then I'd say the "better" player would more than likely win the match.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

The Euro team has by far the better players.
Jason

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Make each player bring a sack of "their own" $$$ and then gamble on every match. Couldn't hurt and would be FAR more entertaining to sweat. Just my $.02 here, nothing more.

I still think the Potato sack race would be the cats pajamas. And they need Pete the painter commentating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I still think the Potato sack race would be the cats pajamas. And they need Pete the painter commentating

Why don’t they add a skills challenge like they have in some of the golf events.

Not trick shottery....what about some drills lol

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

I was responding to a comment as to who was "best".

I would take SVB in a long race over any of them.

And you may well win that bet...but thats not the format being played, so it is kind of irrelevant.

The Mosconi Cup is short races, lots of tournaments are short races and so players that want to win those need to be the 'best' in those formats. Bare in mind each player gets to play multiple times, so its not like a straight knockout race to 5, which would be a bit of a lottery.

Long races are just a different format, not necessarily better or worse.

For example who is the better athlete Mo Farah or Usain Bolt (10,000m v 100m)?