Taiwan TOI

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Attack of the anonymous poster - what could be more ironic?

Does it make you feel like a real man to challenge those completely out of your league?

Do you also barge into special education classrooms and challenge the mentally challenged kids to a reading contest?

How about when you get your game in shape, you fly out to Taiwan and play some of these players that are apparently so fond of TOI. Make sure you bring your whole bankroll so you can at least stay a few days and enjoy the sights.

I was obviously joking, as far as I know you are a Taiwan player that uses TOI.
PanXiaoting.jpg

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's picking up momentum like an over-night express.

My apologies. I thought that was directed at my posting history in this thread.

I hope there is a chance. That's what keeps bringing us back to this crazy game.

Best,
Mike

You gentleman will want to get your game in shape, there'a a "New Age of Pool" coming, and it's picking up momentum like an over-night express.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the "touch" of inside, not the "sight" of inside. The only way someone can tell is by the after contact reaction of the cue ball.

The system of TOI is used to teach a player to have a feel for the pocket, which is vital to be a great shot-maker. I did it in front the greatest pool minds for years and all they could say was "he's doing something different, and we can't tell what it is".

I was using TOI, and other champions used TOO - I use and teach TOI because the tip is on the same side as the cue ball's contact point, for me this fits my eye. Efren also prefers using the inside of the cue ball, that's why he can stun the ball so well.

Remember, only 20-30% of players will choose TOI, however, they can use many of the same principles if they prefer TOO. I would just highly recommend NOT using "center ball" as a player's relative tip target.......the road players used to say "center's for suckers" - and I still to this day have not seen a champion prefer center ball.

I heard this comment from Earl that goes right along with what you are saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j0OvpnHKqg#t=2401

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only shot I try to stay away from is the "Center Ball,"

I heard this comment from Earl that goes right along with what you are saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j0OvpnHKqg#t=2401

Yes, a touch of inside or outside is more predictable for a variety of reasons.

The only shot I try to stay away from is the "Center Ball," because if you miss the side of the pocket you're aiming at there's no definitive reason why......or feedback in the case of TOI.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, a touch of inside or outside is more predictable for a variety of reasons.

The only shot I try to stay away from is the "Center Ball," because if you miss the side of the pocket you're aiming at there's no definitive reason why......or feedback in the case of TOI.

One thing you don't get with center ball is skid , I've seen many many 14-1 players play more center ball than any other game because they hate to see a big run end because of a skid

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing you don't get with center ball is skid , I've seen many many 14-1 players play more center ball than any other game because they hate to see a big run end because of a skid

This isn't true from my experience. Actually it's quite the contrary.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
center ball hitters don't realize that some of their shots are deflecting slightly

How would you know you said you hit anywhere on the cue ball but center

Often throughout my career I've used different styles, that's the one I use when stalling.

It makes sense to many people to use "center ball," and with any sport or game, the "logical way," is often not the best way. The "center ball game" is great for beginners and even intermediate, however, to reach the higher levels one must learn to move the cue ball off the straight line to create zones.

What reduces the stress and over thinking is when we discover that any shot can be executed with the Touch of Inside, instead of center or outside. This immediately cuts down on the choices we have to make.

The positive side effect is our minds start to become aligned with what's really happening with the cue ball on each shot. Players that use outside don't usually realize that the cue ball is deflecting in towards the object ball before spinning back on the original line and center ball hitters don't realize that some of their shots are deflecting slightly causing inconsistency.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Often throughout my career I've used different styles, that's the one I use when stalling.

It makes sense to many people to use "center ball," and with any sport or game, the "logical way," is often not the best way. The "center ball game" is great for beginners and even intermediate, however, to reach the higher levels one must learn to move the cue ball off the straight line to create zones.

What reduces the stress and over thinking is when we discover that any shot can be executed with the Touch of Inside, instead of center or outside. This immediately cuts down on the choices we have to make.

The positive side effect is our minds start to become aligned with what's really happening with the cue ball on each shot. Players that use outside don't usually realize that the cue ball is deflecting in towards the object ball before spinning back on the original line and center ball hitters don't realize that some of their shots are deflecting slightly causing inconsistency.

I'm calling bullshit on any shot can be made with TOI. Low outside draw shot can not be made with TOI since the cue tip is on the other side of the ball.

This maybe your style of play and it's getting old you alays implying that any other style of play is flawed.

Your use of TOI is a weakness but yet you keep trying to make out as the only way to play.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
they've hit a learning wall, and can't figure out the reason why

I'm calling bullshit on any shot can be made with TOI. Low outside draw shot can not be made with TOI since the cue tip is on the other side of the ball.

This maybe your style of play and it's getting old you alays implying that any other style of play is flawed.

Your use of TOI is a weakness but yet you keep trying to make out as the only way to play.

That's not true at all, Mike Sigel, Earl Strickland and Buddy Hall do the same thing using a "touch of outside," however, they are throwing the object ball, I'm doing it with deflection. I teach TOI because it's foreign to players that it forces a new door of learning to open.

Unfortunately for some, fear of the unknown, fear of success, and fear of failure keep them from even experimenting. I've seen plenty of players stuck, with no idea their own minds are the toughest opponent they will ever face.

The inside technique is used in golf as well, beginners hit from the outside, and Pros hit the golf ball from the inside plane. Even the very best golfers in history either faded the ball, or "drew" the ball to create zones. Our minds favor zones, however, if we can't create them effectively our games will reflect this and reach a level that can seldom be improved.

There are many players stuck at the same level {of play} for 30+ years and practice every day. This is because they've hit a learning wall, and can't figure out the reason why. I'm telling exactly why this occurs, and how to get on a path to fix the root of the problem. Even with that said there will be people that doubt there really is a solution.

There is no chance of overcoming challenges in life without making changes. Doing the same things over and over, expecting different results is frustrating, and leads to destructive attitudes of hopelessness, doubt, and mediocrity.

If you read this and have no idea what I'm communicating, it's simply not for you. Please feel free to use any other method available, I'm simply a messenger of experiences that come from many years of high dollar gambling and professional tournament play.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose, at the end of the day, it's all up to you.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
underdog in long sets.

Well you are wrong about that. He has been beating world champs A Level top tier pros like Alex, Alcano (giving Alcano 9-10 handicap), Ignacio just to name a few
He has been beating many of them so not looking like fluke

Here is write up about this monster kid Anton Raga by "Azb Philippines Scouting Reporter", f210 :D
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=384372
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5006559&postcount=20

"- he beat Alex Pagulayan in 3 money game matches. Scores were 17-5, 21-14 and 21-14 no handicap (scores not even close).

- Orcullo has been giving him a 9-10 handicap but Dennis has never won

- he's beaten jeffrey ignacio 3 times (race to 21) and ronnie alcano, no handicap.

- He became cebu champion at the age of 15. someone told me he beat Alcano giving the world champ 9-10 handicap.

- He beat De Luna too on the same trip to Cebu with Alcano.

- Alex must really hate this kid now (joke). Together with Biado, they just beat Pagulayan/Valle 9-8 after trailing 2-8 in alternate break format.

- You can now add Lee Van Corteza and Banares to his list of victims (still with Biado as partner) since they just sent Corteza/Banares to the B side with a score of 9-4.

- He lost to Thorsten Hohmann 9-4 in his first match in the Pacman Cup singles tournament last week. However, he avenged that defeat by eliminating Thorsten from the competition from the losers' side with a better score of 9-3. From the article:

Raga, an obscure 17-year-old campaigner battling it out among some of the biggest names of the sport, defeated Hohmann, 9-3, with powerful breaks and calculating counter-play, scoring sweet revenge over his opening-round tormentor.

- His financiers/managers are so confident of this kid that they are trying to set-up a match with Orcullo this December, this time with no handicap. I watched all his videos posted by "batang tirador" and I heard him say that his financiers are willing to put up money to have him play against Shane Van Boening. However, I think he still needs some more seasoning and polishing for him to beat SVB. Hopefully that match up with SVB while he is now in the Philippines will push through.

They are now looking for sponsors or ways to bring him to the USA. Since he is now out in the open, winning a couple of tournaments will make that dream easier. I hope we see him in the USA soon.
"
:grin:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well you are wrong about that. He has been beating world champs A Level top tier pros like Alex, Alcano (giving Alcano 9-10 handicap), Ignacio just to name a few
He has been beating many of them so not looking like fluke

Here is write up about this monster kid Anton Raga by "Azb Philippines Scouting Reporter", f210 :D
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=384372
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5006559&postcount=20

Do you have a link to any of his matches? I would like to see how he plays at 17.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you are wrong about that...

Why are you following me around asking me to watch a video about somebody I've never seen before and that you obviously know all about, then cherry pick a line out of my post, and then post a lengthy article about how wrong one line in the post is? Or should I say, part of a sentence?

IOW, please bait somebody else because it's becoming personal when you do that. I don't really care about every monster player out there. I have no interest in getting to know who's who in the pool world. When you ask me a question you already know the answer to, it makes me think you're looking for attention or baiting me. Can you see what I'm trying to tell you? I think you do.

Thanks for the links. He is a strong player, like I said. Time will tell how strong. Players are like the tides. They ebb and flow from year to year. The true greats stay on top until a faster gun comes along. :)

Best,
Mike