Taking ball in hand after break............

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've personally watched Dennis practice for hours at a time breaking and running racks of Ten Ball on a tough Diamond table. I will only say this - he beats the ghost badly without BIH! :yeah:
I will go on to say that given BIH after the break, I would bet on Dennis winning two of every three games!

Yeah, I don't think all people realize how little of a test 9/10b are for a stratospheric player like Dennis.

He's playing half speed and beating the ghost.

We are NOT half speed, when we win.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that one

You forgot he cried like a baby when dude took the money off the light after Dennis quit half way through when he realized he couldn't win and tried to call the bet off. And when the guy gave him a break on the bet he boasted about it like the guy was a chump. No respect for Orcullo as a human.

JC

You need moderation?-! Hahahaha.

I was also under the impression that once the money is on the light it is game on, to the death.

But I learned something new- imma consider fleeing from any set I don't like too, if I am in that position.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've personally watched Dennis practice for hours at a time breaking and running racks of Ten Ball on a tough Diamond table. I will only say this - he beats the ghost badly without BIH! :yeah:
I will go on to say that given BIH after the break, I would bet on Dennis winning two of every three games!
25-8 and 11-3 is 3 out of every 4 - just saying. So based on that, are you agreeing this kind of domination over the ghost is pro level? I'm not talking a top 10 player in the world like Dennis.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
25-8 and 11-3 is 3 out of every 4 - just saying. So based on that, are you agreeing this kind of domination over the ghost is pro level? I'm not talking a top 10 player in the world like Dennis.

Are you saying you would be equally willing to bet on either our rake or orcullo to win a set 11-3?

You can't be.

You do know that if dennis played all day, races to 4, he'd likely skunk the ghost many more sets than a A player would, yes?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do it without pattern racking and it’s even more difficult. (Not sure if you already do it like that or not)

Found this in another thread.

“To me, a drill is something you do the same, over and over again.

Well, I rack and break certain ways so I end up with relatively the same patterns when I play the ghost and for those very reasons, I consider playing the ghost nothing more than a drill.

In 9 and 10 ball I have several rack patterns that give almost the same layout so I can pattern rack without actually breaking the pattern-racking rules since I'm not using the same rack order every time.

Just the other day, a guy ask me how I got the 1 threw 5 on one end of table and 6 threw 10 on other end after break....every time even though i was using a different pattern each and every time I rack for 8 racks in a row.

I showed him, it is nothing more than a high/low system, rather than a particular ball here or there.

Anyways, I could not keep my game with just 4 or 5 racks each session.....no way. I would play even worse than I do now.

Rake”

Sounds like you’re intentionally making it easier on yourself. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still impressive, I don’t think I could beat the ghost that bad even if I racked like you. Make it harder on yourself dude!

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't think all people realize how little of a test 9/10b are for a stratospheric player like Dennis.

He's playing half speed and beating the ghost.

We are NOT half speed, when we win.

This is so true. There is a video on YouTube where Carldo Biado runs 17 racks in a
row against the 9 ball ghost and one of Dennis playing the 10 ball ghost at
Hard Times where the score ends up like 15-5 if my memeory serves right

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Found this in another thread.

“... In 9 and 10 ball I have several rack patterns that give almost the same layout so I can pattern rack without actually breaking the pattern-racking rules since I'm not using the same rack order every time. ... Rake” ...

That's still breaking the no-pattern-racking rules. The wording in the WPA (world-standardized) rules is "The other balls will be placed in the triangle without purposeful or intentional pattern." The wording in the CSI (BCAPL/USAPL) rules is "the remaining balls are placed at random."

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went down and played the ghost in my basement with BIH after the break 10 ball. I had a pretty good day and beat it 75 to 3 then , I played 1 handed with my opposite hand and beat it 29 to 2 .
My wife ran 6 racks with a broom and she can't even spell pool.
You guys think you're the only ones allowed in fantasy land?

If I overreacted, I apologise, the whole thread brought back a memory of a dipstick here in town that used to post here.
He kept telling everyone here, he was an A player, and played great One Pocket.
Problem was , he never could beat me at anything, even after I got poisoned by a doctor and my game went down 3 or 4 balls.
I sure wasn't playing A speed, maybe C and thats only because I could still out move weak players like him.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not butt hurt in the least so do not make that mistake.

Having said the above, I enjoy this site whether I'm posting or reading. I think I'll go back to reading.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must be playing a different ghost. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who on a 9-foot Diamond table with tour cut pockets, playing the 10-ball ghost, and beats the ghost 11-3 and 25-8, is playing pro level pool, even if it is accomplished on their home table with no one around and nothing at stake. I've been around pool for nearly 50 years. It's not possible to run out the table that consistently on that equipment, even with ball-in-hand off the break, without playing the correct patterns and leaving the correct angles on nearly every shot. I do find it curious this individual feels the need to inform us of his domination vs the ghost on a regular basis.

While 11:3/25:8 is VERY high standard of game,its not pro level,at least not in Europe. If i understand correctly these are "high runs",not his average numbers. If these were actually his average scores then he would be relatively close to lower tier pros (not there but close). Thats how it is in Europe. :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Having said the above, I enjoy this site whether I'm posting or reading. I think I'll go back to reading.

You make your own choices, but you have has some good exchanges, for sure. No reason to take any of this personally, I am pretty sure we are discussing a hypothetical and how good someone is.

It was relevant to discover the scores you posted were the result of a highly tweaked scenario.

It is still pretty badass.

As they say: the scrubs think I am a pro and the pros think I am a scrub.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

You and Cameron Smith made the two best posts of the day in that other thread....
....I like your contributions.
Post for the ones who want to read you