Texas Legend Passed Away - R.I.P. Junior Norris

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Junior Norris, my good friend, passed away in his sleep at age 90. Junior was full of life til the very end. His daughter, Sherry Glenn, said he had a very good day his last day. Junior was inducted into the Texas Billiard Hall of Fame in 1991 I believe. He was very proud of his second place finish at the 1962 Stardust 9-Ball tournament. All the top pros and hustlers were in the tournament, Jimmy Caras, Squirrel, U.J., Wimpy, all the top players. The pool world lost one of their best ambassadors this week.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was a very good player. Could and would get down.
Cant find my pic of him holding rack of 9 ball in 1 hand. Bet someone has it?

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Jr. was a great competitor and played in probably every tournament in Texas that we held starting with the Southwest Tour, McDermott Tour, and the National 9-Ball Tour.

He will be missed. RIP Mr. Norris

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of a Kind Hustle

Junior was well known around Wichita Falls, Tx where he was born and spent most of his life. At their country club full of oilmen millionaires, Junior would play golf with any of them. The CATCH was, he didn't use golf clubs. He would use a special made sling shot and a pool cue for putting. He said he practiced many hours with the sling shot getting his distance down. And he could putt very well with his pool cue. He once told me he would play Jack Nicklaus that way. :smile:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Junior was a friend and mentor to W. T. Wetsel and Joe MacNamara. Joe Mack is the only one left.

Many of you will remember Junior's license plate "9 Ball".

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Junior was an old school hustler and a damn good guy at the same time. He was friendly to a fault if he liked you and just stayed quiet if he didn't. He was one of the older generation that I hit it off with right away and remained friends for life. He was generous with his advice and a real Southern gentleman. I'm so glad that you were my friend for the last fifty years Jr. Thanks

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Junior was an old school hustler and a damn good guy at the same time. He was friendly to a fault if he liked you and just stayed quiet if he didn't. He was one of the older generation that I hit it off with right away and remained friends for life. He was generous with his advice and a real Southern gentleman. I'm so glad that you were my friend for the last fifty years Jr. Thanks

Yes, Jr, was a great guy. I knew him about as long as you did Jay. Neither one of us went hunting for the other, but we used to match up and play, whenever we ran into each other! Good solid player, won some, lost some, we never had a hard word! Definitely old school, and a great guy to gamble with. RIP Junior.;)

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jr Norris,RIP

I ran into Jr several times ,always in the way of pool.
Almost every time we met it was to match up and play,but on a couple of occasions
he would take time to share knowledge and do trick shots or show how to make the object ball jump over another object ball,or part of an object ball

It saddens me to think of a fellow man passing away and into the presence of God ,my
thoughts are reflecting on my life,wishing I had done more,and better

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jr Norris,RIP

I ran into Jr several times ,always in the way of pool.
Almost every time we met it was to match up and play,but on a couple of occasions
he would take time to share knowledge and do trick shots or show how to make the object ball jump over another object ball,or part of an object ball

It saddens me to think of a fellow man passing away and into the presence of God ,my
thoughts are reflecting on my life,wishing I had done more,and better

You are correct. I think as people age, if they have any decency, they reflect on how their life could have been different if they had exercised some restraint.

If you are behind me on Judgement day, you will have a long wait for your turn!