The Fould Heard Around the World.

It's an obvious foul at normal speed, never mind the replays, and these only confirm the fact. You can clearly see the 9 move first but more tellingly the white move from the 9 to the 3 after impact, not vice versa. Not only that, but the 3 couldn't have made it to the cushion if it wasn't struck full in the face - only possible if the white comes off the 9, and the white couldn't have travelled up table like that if it had struck the 9 full enough to pocket it. It could only react like that by coming off the 3 last. I don't see the controversy.

Boro Nut
 
it was not obvious at full speed,
and no one has said anything about the 3 being hit full in the face....
It was a foul, but saying that you could tell 100% at full speed at the bad camera angle is just silly...... of course being from the UK We expect you to make staements like this........

the reality is that this shot didn't cost Busta the match.... the shot on the 2 ball cost him the match
 
BPG24 said:
it was not obvious at full speed,
and no one has said anything about the 3 being hit full in the face....
It was a foul, but saying that you could tell 100% at full speed at the bad camera angle is just silly...... of course being from the UK We expect you to make staements like this........

the reality is that this shot didn't cost Busta the match.... the shot on the 2 ball cost him the match

I saw it as a foul at full speed! In fact, I was on the phone with a buddy and we both started screaming foul as soon as it hit. And if you look at Busta face when it first hit, he knew it too.
 
BPG24 said:
it was not obvious at full speed,
and no one has said anything about the 3 being hit full in the face....
It was a foul, but saying that you could tell 100% at full speed at the bad camera angle is just silly...... of course being from the UK We expect you to make staements like this........

the reality is that this shot didn't cost Busta the match.... the shot on the 2 ball cost him the match
It's nothing to do with being from the UK. It was a clear foul at full speed. I thought so, the commentators thought so, and so did the referee. I'm sure Peach must have too (be interesting to hear his thoughts), and can't believe Bustamante didn't. I just think he was trying to blag it. And after hitting the 9 first, which it did, the white ball must travel at right angles to the point of impact - ie full into the 3 ball, which it does. It hits the 3 full in the face, not a glancing blow.

You only have to see the shot and the way the three balls move to know it was a foul. There's nothing silly about that. They're called the laws of physics. They operate throughout the known universe, not just in the UK. You couldn't replicate the movement of the three balls by hitting the 3 first.

And being from the UK I expect players to call fouls on themselves that nobody else but themselves has even seen, never mind the whole world, for a lot more money than was at stake here. Bustamante came perilously close to winning the WPC and losing his reputation in the process.

Boro Nut
 
It might not have been completely clear at normal speed that it was a bad hit, but what was quite clear at normal speed is that it may have been a bad hit. I think Busta, the ref, and Peach all had the feeling that it may have been a bad hit.

Having said that I think the replay clearly shows that it was a bad hit, and I'm glad they got the call right, although I feel badly for Bustamante.
 
The shot

Here is the position of the cue ball right before impact. I think you can see that it is going to hit the 9 before the 3.

Bustamante1.png
[/IMG]
 
BPG24 said:
the reality is that this shot didn't cost Busta the match.... the shot on the 2 ball cost him the match

Exactly right. With the finish line in sight, Busty made a huge error, one that was pretty hard to believe.
 
BPG24 said:
the reality is that this shot didn't cost Busta the match.... the shot on the 2 ball cost him the match

Speaking of the shot on the 2, it looks clear from the angle on the shot that if he cuts the 2 in with no English the cueball will travel in the direction of the 9 and 3. So the shot required a touch of inside English, but it looks to me like he just hit the shot with a center cueball. So my question is, did he just misread the direction of the cueball and hit it with center roll, or did he try and put a touch of inside on it and just not succeed?
 
klockdoc said:
Here is the position of the cue ball right before impact. I think you can see that it is going to hit the 9 before the 3.

Bustamante1.png
[/IMG]

one picture is worth a four letter word
 
Neil said:
Yeah, right. Tried watching it on suckcast and it kept blacking out. Thanks JoeyInCali for posting it.



Then do yourself a favor and stop watching Sopcast...
 
PoolBum said:
Speaking of the shot on the 2, it looks clear from the angle on the shot that if he cuts the 2 in with no English the cueball will travel in the direction of the 9 and 3. So the shot required a touch of inside English, but it looks to me like he just hit the shot with a center cueball. So my question is, did he just misread the direction of the cueball and hit it with center roll, or did he try and put a touch of inside on it and just not succeed?


He put unintended english on the CB because he was stretching for the shot.
He wasn't even happy before the shot. The story would've been different if
Django decided to use the bridge. shoulda, woulda , coulda ...
 
I finally got to watch the shot and the confusion that followed just a few minutes ago with the SopCast reruns and I also belive (as most do) that the call was a great call under pretty tough circumstances.
One thing I wanted to point out however was the reaction of the local crowd. Sure, they wanted their boy to win, and the initial reaction to the call got a little rowdy. But everybody think for a moment about how things would have been had this happened in the States or Europe. Almost scary to think about. Had this been Earl against a no-namer, and the foul called against Earl in the US Open how do you think the crowd and especially Earl would have reacted? Ponderous huh?
One major difference in the way the crowd reacted, and in that I mean how they eventually accepted the call and settled down..................is that the greater majority of the crowd in the Philippines are probably good to above average pool players themselves with a pretty good knowledge of pool. Making their ability to digest the call much easier than folks that aren't so familiar with the game.
dave
 
Tokyo-dave said:
I finally got to watch the shot and the confusion that followed just a few minutes ago with the SopCast reruns and I also belive (as most do) that the call was a great call under pretty tough circumstances.
One thing I wanted to point out however was the reaction of the local crowd. Sure, they wanted their boy to win, and the initial reaction to the call got a little rowdy. But everybody think for a moment about how things would have been had this happened in the States or Europe. Almost scary to think about. Had this been Earl against a no-namer, and the foul called against Earl in the US Open how do you think the crowd and especially Earl would have reacted? Ponderous huh?
One major difference in the way the crowd reacted, and in that I mean how they eventually accepted the call and settled down..................is that the greater majority of the crowd in the Philippines are probably good to above average pool players themselves with a pretty good knowledge of pool. Making their ability to digest the call much easier than folks that aren't so familiar with the game.
dave



There were some instigators in the crowd who tried to use hooliganism to
reverse Nigel Rees' call, but I say they took it well considering they expected
Django to cruise past Daryl Peach. They were all hoping for an All-Filipino
finals, but just like what an old saying said, you can't have your cake and
eat it too!
 
Tokyo-dave said:
I finally got to watch the shot and the confusion that followed just a few minutes ago with the SopCast reruns and I also belive (as most do) that the call was a great call under pretty tough circumstances.
One thing I wanted to point out however was the reaction of the local crowd. Sure, they wanted their boy to win, and the initial reaction to the call got a little rowdy. But everybody think for a moment about how things would have been had this happened in the States or Europe. Almost scary to think about. Had this been Earl against a no-namer, and the foul called against Earl in the US Open how do you think the crowd and especially Earl would have reacted? Ponderous huh?
One major difference in the way the crowd reacted, and in that I mean how they eventually accepted the call and settled down..................is that the greater majority of the crowd in the Philippines are probably good to above average pool players themselves with a pretty good knowledge of pool. Making their ability to digest the call much easier than folks that aren't so familiar with the game.
dave

I don't think using earl here is a good anology, because many of us do not like Earl... And are embarressed by the things he does.....

But I see your point.....


I still dont think that the people who watched it live, can honestly say that the shot was or wasnt a foul, the first time they saw it.... I know it was a foul..... No question, But live, the first time, before any replays or other angles were shown.... It was too close to be sure...
 
I agree

Even looking at it in slow motion from some angles it still was impossible to call good hit or bad. I'm none too sure that ball action alone tells the whole story either. I often thin one ball and hit full into the next one and what is seen is the same reaction as if I had hit the second ball first.

I don't doubt this is a bad hit after watching the replay in super slow-mo and stop action from many angles including the overhead angle that the ref could not have possibly had live but I am left wondering if replay was used to make other calls. Without replay, I believe this hit is too close to call and the tie goes to the shooter. If replay wasn't used to make other calls, then Busta was victimized by technology. If it was used in other instances he has no complaint coming.

Hu



BPG24 said:
I still dont think that the people who watched it live, can honestly say that the shot was or wasnt a foul, the first time they saw it.... I know it was a foul..... No question, But live, the first time, before any replays or other angles were shown.... It was too close to be sure...
 
Back
Top