KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didh't read all of the responses... but nobody gave Fatty the GOAT in
B's ing... I have to give it to him.

Phelps, Bolt, Moses .... all get my votes too. I remember watching Edwin
Moses run a sub 5 minute mile just to 'warm up' .... lol .... made it look like
He was barely trying.

I can't not give the 14.1 title to Willie, and the all around to Worst. Have to give
The grass title to R.Fed., and the clay to Rafa. Steffi still has the womens' and
I wish she would have been in the same era as the Williams and Martina..as I
Think they all would have been neck and neck. Tiger was just beyond everyone
For his streak, but Jack was more durable.

Fun thread!! Tap tap tap to the OP

Td

Thanks! Yeah I really enjoyed it, and after resurrecting it looks like other do too!

KMRUNOUT

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Northwestern. 1937 Otto Graham Jr. set new individual scoring record for the Suburban League BB, then became captain.
1938 became all state in Football.
1941 All American Sophomore Team Football.
1943 All American in BB and Football, also in 43 set new big Ten passing record-Football, set Northwestern Individual scoring record BB.
Winner of Herald American Award - Most outstanding collegiate BB player. Member of college all star football team.
Set record for longest individual run 97 yards for touch down.
1944 All service Football team,
1946 member of college all star football team.
1947 Member of Rochester Royals-Worlds Professional Basketball Champions.
1946-1955 QB Cleveland Browns.
1947 All Pro QB, and MVP All American Professional Football League.
1948 MVP All American Pro. Foot ball League.
1948-49-51-53 All Pro QB.
1953 Pro Footballs Outstanding Performer by Both United Press and Sports Magazine.
1954 All Pro QB.
Set following records in 5 Championship Games.
Threw 134 and completed 72 averaging over 13 yards per pass. 952 yards passing in 5 championship games.
8 TD passes and scored 18 points himself.

He and my dad were best friends for life and college roommates.
They played $1 per hole golf every time they matched up.
Good for both guys to keep the friendship alive.

Rockne had unreal stats and strength IIRC.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Baseball - Babe Ruth
Hockey - Bobby Orr
Football - Tom Brady
Golf - Jack N.
Basketball - Jordan
Pool - Efren
Snooker - Ronnie O.
Soccer - Pele
Tennis - Maybe John Mac?

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
If the greatest of the great is based solely on your dominance of a certain sport, then it's simply a numbers game. If it's based on how many people knew of you, how many people tuned in to watch you on a global scale, how big your persona was worlwide, then it has to be either Jordan or Ali I would think. Maybe Tiger. All three were international super stars, known around the world, by people who didn't play or even know anything about their respective sports. Certainly a great deal of them weren't even fans, but they knew who they were. A completely different level.

Good point, but you have to add Pele and Federer there too. And they are the only ones on the list who hasn't failed their reputation, though Ali of course was the greatest

Last edited:

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
As much of a fan of Federer as I am I would say he's not the lock people are making him out to be. His record vs Nadal is 12-23. He does have 4 more majors though.

"Federer has a winning record on grass (2–1), while Nadal leads on clay (13–2). Nadal also has the edge over Federer on hard courts (9–8), with Nadal having won 8 of 11 matches on outdoor hard courts and Federer claiming 5 of 6 matches on indoor hard courts. Nadal also leads the head-to-head of their 12 Grand Slam matches (9–3), with five of these wins on the clay courts of Roland Garros, and two of the losses on grass at Wimbledon."

According to the experts, Federer is the best ever, and I'm saying this as a 60/40 Rafa fan. And the experts have been saying this for long, though Rafa's ability to break his record has been matter of interest. The final in Melbourne was a big factor in this issue, too.

Rafa certainly is a "spike in the flesh" for Federer, but mostly because of the clay expertise and the hard time he gave on that – which also build the record how it is. If Rafa will win four or more majors still, and Federer none, the things will change, but also style-wise the experts prefer Roger's skill level to be higher.

Djokovic might have something to say into this, too, but he hasn't been as strong recently as he should be to build it.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Well to start, that's assuming Jones is done, which I'm not - he'll be back in July and I imagine he'll go on another run. I'll give you that his division shallow now, but when he started light heavyweight was still a stacked division and it's only dried out in the last couple of years. And it could be argued that that is because of Jones cleaning out the division. (Unless you're talking about just MMA being a small talent pool compared to other sports, in which case I do hear what you're saying.)

I do realize that it's a bit miopic to say he's the best at this point since he could have a good 10 years more left in his career, but there's already a case for him being the best ever even if he did walk away right now.

Sir, I do like Jon Jones, but the question of the topic was "Who is the greatest of the greatest", and according to experts Jones might or might not be in Top 5 of MMA GOAT's.

Fedor's status and reputation was the strongest ever. He was the smallest heavy weight yet beat them all (yes, I know, but he beat several of the UFC champs, too, and overpowered some of them).

Jones has dominated through his excess in reach, he hasn't have strong competition and yet he's still not able to finish his matches. If he would move to heavy weight, where other of his reach and size are, and would dominate there, then he might be the GOAT. Or at least if he would stop failing in life and doping tests first.

Anderson Silva has been said to be the GOAT by statistics, GSP or Fedor the second. From active fighters Conor would challenge Jones' chances to become GOAT. Aldo was said to be a possible GOAT, and see what happened with Conor.

Btw, few years ago there was a poll in Brazil amongst the MMA fans for who is the GOAT, and you'd expect Anderson, Jose, Wanderlei and others top the list. Fedor got more than 70% of the votes. That's how high they rate him. And his attitude and humility is beyond pretty much anybody mentioned in this whole topic, maybe besides Efren and maybe Pele.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
According to the experts, Federer is the best ever, and I'm saying this as a 60/40 Rafa fan. And the experts have been saying this for long, though Rafa's ability to break his record has been matter of interest. The final in Melbourne was a big factor in this issue, too.

Rafa certainly is a "spike in the flesh" for Federer, but mostly because of the clay expertise and the hard time he gave on that – which also build the record how it is. If Rafa will win four or more majors still, and Federer none, the things will change, but also style-wise the experts prefer Roger's skill level to be higher.

Djokovic might have something to say into this, too, but he hasn't been as strong recently as he should be to build it.

I watch allot of tennis, majors only. I too think Federer is special. Djokovic at present is an interesting situation, something seems to be missing these days, as the killer instinct has waned, why hard ta say. Personally with all the new young/great talent I predict his best is behind him. My favorite of all time to watch was Connors. A Great player who had no serve speed, but attacked the net relentlessly if the ball wasn't on the baseline. Would of been great ta see him and Sampras in their prime play each other. But yeah, the Fed, is special. Watching the finals in Australia, was like watching a ping pong match at times, was Very exciting....every point.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Sir, I do like Jon Jones, but the question of the topic was "Who is the greatest of the greatest", and according to experts Jones might or might not be in Top 5 of MMA GOAT's.

Fedor's status and reputation was the strongest ever. He was the smallest heavy weight yet beat them all (yes, I know, but he beat several of the UFC champs, too, and overpowered some of them).

Jones has dominated through his excess in reach, he hasn't have strong competition and yet he's still not able to finish his matches. If he would move to heavy weight, where other of his reach and size are, and would dominate there, then he might be the GOAT. Or at least if he would stop failing in life and doping tests first.

Anderson Silvia has been said to be the GOAT by statistics, GSP or Fedor the second. From active fighters Conor would challenge Jones' chances to become GOAT. Aldo was said to be a possible GOAT, and see what happened with Conor.

Btw, few years ago there was a poll in Brazil amongst the MMA fans for who is the GOAT, and you'd expect Anderson, Jose, Wanderlei and others top the list. Fedor got more than 70% of the votes. That's how high they rate him. And his attitude and humility is beyond pretty much anybody mentioned in this whole topic, maybe besides Efren and maybe Pele.

Lol. Paragraphs of chat about GOAT in MMA, and you didn't mention Demitrius Johnson?
Laughable.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Lol. Paragraphs of chat about GOAT in MMA, and you didn't mention Demitrius Johnson?

Laughable.

Your disrespectful tone in your text tells more about you as a character than the quality of the content of my post.

Maybe first just ask, before start judging?

I agree Demetrious is one of the pound-for-pound GOATs, but the division matters, as does the competition in it. I would have mentioned him next, but Fedor, A. Silva, GSP are there before him.

You think Ali would be as big of a name he is, if he would have been a fly weight?

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Your disrespectful tone in your text tells more about you as a character than the quality of the content of my post.

I agree Demetrious is one of the pound-for-pound GOATs, but the division matters, as does the competition in it. I would have mentioned him next, but Fedor, A. Silva, GSP are there before him.

You think Ali would be as big of a name he is, if he would have been a fly weight?

Really? Two loses, and brutal losses at that, tarnished the "GOAT" title for Silva. Weidman knocked him out, and in the rematch, pretty much ended the career of AS.

GSP? Lay and pray. He out wrestled everyone in the division. Jon Jones? Pretty much the same, his last 5 fights. And there were two "questionable" decision wins for both men in two of their title defences.

Fedor? I'll give you that one. Has fought and beat some of the baddest men out there. But to not consider Demitrius because of his weight?? When is the last time he lost a fight? How many successful title defenses? How many decision wins? He knocks people out. He submits them. His last win was a convincing decision. He is at the top of his game, and for me, is in the elite names when talking about GOAT. Look up your boys GSP, AS, and Aldo....and see how many successful title defenses. Then look up Demitrius.

Sorry if I came across as disrespectful. But if you call yourself an MMA fan, and didn't mention DJ in the GOAT category, that's more disrespectful than anything I could say about your comments. The fact that you dismissed him purely on weight class is even worse.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can take Tiger Woods off the list. Jack Nicklaus and Bobby Jones were much better golfers.

In my days, it was Arnold Palmer. I was a proud member of Arnie's Army. I know there have been better players, but as a total packaged player, it is Arnold Palmer. I can remember seeing thousands walk with him over hill & dale, when I was Colonial Country Club & he never said NO, to a single person... they loved him, I loved him, he was a Kings King.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

Oh, and talking about Conor, who you feel could be the next GOAT...he's the male Ronda Rousey. He's 2-1 at his naturally fighting weight. 1-1 vs Diaz (got submitted, then won a close decision), and he beat an overconfident Alvarez. If the UFC signs the fight between Conor and Khabib, which they won't, you'll see the end of the Conor mystique.

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Maybe I should have mentioned him when I mentioned Conor being one of the actives who can challenge Jones of _becoming_ a GOAT, but the size does matter.

I never said Aldo was GOAT, but said that some have had him on the list and I showed what Conor did to him.

For me there's only one and that is Fedor. Silva has topped the list for GOAT when experts are asked, and I mentioned that. Didn't say it was my opinion, but very few athletes finish while on top, so latter-career losses are only natural. In some lists GSP has been on second and some lists Fedor, so those two have been 2-3, but I agree, that the lists I'm talking about, are few years old.

But yes, I wouldn't be surprised at all, if Demetrious' career in the end would be more prestigious than for example J. Jones'. Demetrious is battling in fly weight, which would be impossible to most of the other best. For example Jones could go to heavy weight if he wanted, maybe even middle, Silva have been fighting LHW and GSP could have gone up and down, but Demetrious is 5 ft 3 in, so it does make a difference in fighting sports as there is weight classes, and his size is not the one where the attention is, nor the one where's the biggest and hardest field. He's so small, that it's extreme, and when you're extreme, you don't have a big pool of opponents. It's way easier for a 5 ft 3 to dominate fly weight than for anyone to dominate HW or the middler ones. If Fedor would have trained differently and sized his body differently, he could have been middleweight easily. He was much shorter than Jones and way shorter than Anderson for example. Still he went to HW, dominated it for ten years, and the concept "Heavy Weight" hasn't gained it's status accidentally.